Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Big Impact? Conditioning, Cardio Will Determine Stokes' Contribution (Chris Harry)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatorjjh, Sep 24, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Big Impact? Conditioning, Cardio Will Determine Stokes' Contribution
    Isaiah Stokes is the most offensively skilled post player to come to Florida in maybe a decade, but how productive he can be as a redshirt freshman will correlate to his level of conditioning when the season begins in November.
    Chris Harry UF Senior Writer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Practice ended one day last week and Mike White remained on the floor for a quick interview, while several players stuck around to get up some shots and free throws. One of those players was redshirt freshman Isaiah Stokes, who just happened to know the subject of the the interview was him.

When one of Stokes' wayward shots caromed off the rim and rolled toward White, the Florida coach gathered the ball and passed it back to his player.

"You saying nice things about me, Coach?" Stokes asked.
    White didn't hesitate.
    "No," he shot back. "You haven't done anything, yet."

Big Impact? Conditioning, Cardio Will Determine Stokes' Contribution - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    From that article I’d say he is a 10 - 12 minute guy this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hayes and Stone are way ahead of him at this point. It will take a key injury or two for him to see significant playing time (+15 min/game) this year. Plus there's Bassett and Chase Johnson. Please know I'm not selling him short for now but next year is the year to watch his improvement.

4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I suspect: no drop off when he gets into the game. Maybe even a partial upside? Let him go hard for those minutes he plays, too. Maybe four minutes in? Four minutes out, to rest?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting thought on him splitting the 4 and 5 to put Hayes on helpside defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I suspect the coach is telling them that he wants them to give him 5 minutes of maximum effort and hustle and not to worry about conserving energy to remain in the game. Can pull for rests and substitute more freely this year

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I think the key for Stokes this year is how he handles the last 10 regular season games. Does he finish stronger and contribute more than he started?

8. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "You saying nice things about me, Coach?" Stokes asked.
    "No," he shot back. "You haven't done anything, yet."

Ouch! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. themistocles

themistocles Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    I too think that Stokes could be very good, but if he's like former #10 prospect Walker, who could not run up and down the court 3 times without being exhausted, he won't help.

As Stokes noted, Conditioning takes time - 2-3 months is not enough. However, the idea of a few minutes in and then out to recover, might prove a useful approach due to his offensive skillset and soft touch.

10. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Interesting how Harry points out how skilled stokes is away from the hoop and on the blocks.
    I have heard some people lament that he has no inside game. This isn’t true.

11. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Man, we got some harsh dudes on our coaching staff. Between the anecdote with White in the lede, Preston Greene saying "he's still [too heavy]" (I'll bet aka's salary that Greene really said "fat" and Chris Harry softened it with the bracketed words) and this:

[​IMG]

Operation "Remind Isaiah Stokes We're Not Impressed By Him" seems to be in full swing. Which is maybe the sort of attitude Stokes needs - the staff knows him better than I do, obviously.

12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Also, appropos of nothing:

[​IMG]

Who shot Patric Young here? That's the face of a man who knows he'll never see his family again.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I wonder if Coach White listens to Shania Twain much?

14. Gator8239

Gator8239 Premium Member

Jun 17, 2007
    I just hope the refs let Stokes get away with murder under the basket like his brother was able to get away with.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    As much I love the potential upside for Stokes, I like this coaching staff even more. It's clear they're out to get the best in every player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, anyone that took a few minutes to watch his high school clips could see that he has some real skills in low post offense.

17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Interesting stat that Hayes is projected to be the #2 all-time shot-blocker at UF (per Fawcett). If Stokes is able to play the 5 and we switch Hayes to the 4, he should be able to get a ton of blocks on weak side help while Stokes' size will be a problem inside for opposing 5's. Not to mention Stokes' outside shooting can draw their 5 outside the paint on offense.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    We were a great shot-blocking team when we could put Egbunu in the low post. Robinson and Hayes would then have field days, coming out of nowhere for the weak side for blocks. That was some serious length and leaping ability at the 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. yellowboy90

yellowboy90 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    It would be cool if Udonis could give him some advice but who knows if he has a relatuionship with White or if he is someone Stokes even really knows about. I hope he gets his conditioning in check and continues to put in the work.

Next off-season someone should do a piece on Slaton and Stokes since they came in with similar conditioning issues. It's always good to have someone going through the struggle with you even if they play a different sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    His brother was signed by the Heat recently, and was under contract with them a couple of years ago, so it should be easy to connect them.

Here is a profile on Jarnell, with a lot in there on his getting in peak shape. If you look at some photos, you will see that his body has been totally transformed. If the younger Stokes were to do that, with his skills, the sky would be the limit.

Jarnell Stokes Eyes Second Opportunity With Miami Heat | Def Pen

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018