Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Big changes to the draft could dramatically affect college baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by MadduxFanII, Mar 27, 2020.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, MLB and the player's association recently agreed to some changes for the 2020 and 2021 MLB draft.

Here are some details from Kendall Rogers:

• The date is still up in the air, but it could happen as late as July
    • MLB has the right to trim the length of the draft down to as few as five rounds, if it wants
    • Draft bonuses will be deferred over two years - draftees will get 100K this year, then 50 percent in 2021 and 50 percent in 2022
    • Similar rules will apply to the 2022 draft, though MLB will only have the right to trim it to 20 rounds.
    • The bonus for undrafted players is capped at $20,000
    Setting aside for a second the fact that I think this is just rank nonsense that utterly screws over amateur players, it's going to have a huge impact on college baseball, especially if it's combined with eligibility relief for current players.

The logical outcome of this would seem to be many more players going to college instead of signing with an MLB team, and college rosters are going to be absolutely stuffed to the brim. Rogers goes into that a bit in his piece - there would almost have to be a temporary expansion of scholarship limits to accommodate everyone.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    MLB has wanted to reduce its commitment to minor league baseball for years and while this would obviously be a result of COVID-19, it is also a way they can start the process. There was already a proposal on the table for MLB to eliminate 42 minor league teams and I don’t think it will be too long before we see a major contraction.

Financially, MLB pumps a lot of money into minor league baseball and the thought is the short season and lower-A ball leagues can be eliminated. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah, this whole thing reeks of MLB seizing an opportunity to do something they've always wanted to do anyway.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Make no mistake about this fellas, for MLB as well as the owners of the organizations, the game that we know and love is not the important issue throughout this critical time in our country and worldwide—

However the business side of the game has their full attention and they will look at every single angle that they can conceive of to accomplish their profitability as time slowly works its way back to “normal”—

Amateur/HS/College players have not fully (if at all) recognized the fact yet that as soon as they sign they actually somewhat change in categories from “players” to “real property”. Ahh, but so is the life of the game of baseball vs the business of baseball—

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Maybe MLB *sponsors* some additional college baseball scholarships?

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    They should have been for years now but obviously they aren't listening to me lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Wow, some big changes. Leftwich is probably the most interesting person on the roster with these changes.

Mace will go in the top 5 rounds.

Brady Smith, Cory Acton, and Jordan Butler won’t.

Leftwich will probably be close I would think. So go as an undrafted free agent for $20K? But returning doesn’t buy him much as the rules bizarrely apply to 2021 too.

What about recruits? I don’t follow that closely.

9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just talked with a mid level D1 coach about this. His theory is that they (mid level schools) will be the biggest winner. Their top echelon kids haven't shown out yet, or gotten the pub that kids at UF type schools have. They think the draft will default to big names from big schools because thats who they are aware of and it's the safest route.
    The bigger wild card seems to be the high school kids. Probably won't kill the very top level names, but the next tier will drop like a stone.
    He also expects 10 rounds in the draft but that is speculation.

• Informative Informative x 4
  10. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Yeah the HS kids could be massively impacted if it is just 5 rounds. 10 rounds might now hurt HS that much. Basically everyone selected in the first 10 rounds historically signs anyway.

11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Some college kids that we think will stay won’t due to age, especially 21 and 22 year olds. I know it will seem prudent to most to possibly hang tight for another year but getting started on that path to The bigs at 21 instead of 22 or 22 instead of 23 is important. That body clock changes for everybody at different times and I just don’t see many kids that are going to wait until they are 23 or even 22 to start to pursue their dream. A few will take the extra eligibility but I most cases I think more kids will leave than come back.
    Look at Lang...he’s 22 years and 6 months right now. He comes back next year he’ll be almost 24 when the Gators finish up in Omaha. Now personally, I think Lang would benefit by coming back but even w a good year how attractive is he to a mlb team at almost 24? Kids will take age into account.

12. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Langworthy has been a good player at UF but he is not a pro prospect and that is why he was back at UF for his SR season. For guys like Langworthy and McMullen, the decision to come back for another year may depend on whether or not they really want to go the grad school route and if so, they can use baseball to pay for it. Otherwise they can hope a MLB team gives them a chance as an undrafted FA or they simply move on with their lives without baseball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I really can’t disagree with you but Lang and Kirby may not be great examples. There will be plenty of guys turning 21/22 or even 23 that will realize coming back leaves them with little to no leverage. The earlier they can get into the minors means the earlier they can get to the bigs. Could tell you some stories about kids that came back for their senior year put up decent numbers only to go Undrafted.

14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    MLB is a business. They want to stockpile a bunch of 18 year old live arms and send them though a meat grinder to see which ones make it to The Show.

If the kid goes to college first they can let bad coaches send them through a meat grinder without having to pay them.

I love the game of baseball, but I hate the professional game.

15. salt72

salt72 Freshman

Sep 29, 2019
    I beg to differ about bad coaching In college, maybe some places but Sully plays a big role in the decisions for some kids. Getting 3 years to develop under sully as a pitcher is pretty valuable imo.

• Agree Agree x 1