Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Revives Republican Party

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, focused on all the wrong things.

1. Trump - drove interest/participation
    2. Population growth (one reason looking at absolute numbers is foolish, particularly when ignoring Trump smashing Obama’s number of votes too)
    3. Still relatively low participation numbers with a third of voters not participating
    4. No evidence of significant voting fraud to overturn a single state, much less explain your quandary of 10M votes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Did I say there was evidence of fraud to overturn a single county, let alone a state?

I swear, ya'll look for reasons to argue, here.

3. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I put up four points illustrating your focus and feelings are the problem, not Biden’s vote totals. Your takeaway is to focus on one point about fraud.

You cast doubt and question the voting totals making them seem unreasonable which can only lead back to the consistent voter fraud rhetoric we’ve heard the last eight months. I mean, come on man.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Everything there is speculation, not evidence. Never claimed there was evidence of fraud to overturn even a single county.

youre welcome to keep trying though.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Just checked in on this thread. The guy using Neo-Marxist as a pejorative, repeatedly saying Biden campaigned from his basement, and calling BLM a Democratic interest group but QAnon a fringe extreme, is accusing others of arguing in bad faith.

Cool.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I mean, where's the lie? :D

7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    wha? there's another use? just seems like a long winded way of saying idiot.

8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    technically that is not true. it would have to be a binding price control. For instance, CO has a min wage of 11.10. That is well below the mkt determined wage in many areas of the state & hence, has no impact on the equil wage rate.

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If that's true then minimum wage either reduces total number of jobs due to "disequilibrium" or the minimum wage is not necessary in the long run because the market establishes higher wages anyways.

10. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    a non-binding price control does nothing. Try setting the min wage to 2 cents & see what happens. or, tell your wife that you are good for 100 sexual encounters a week.

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I understand your point, but you're also making mine.

Setting a minimum wage to 2 cents would not be necessary because the market takes care of things.

Setting the minimum wage to say $15 per hour is going to inevitably cost some jobs because some jobs pay less than $15 per hour.

12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    well, you've managed to make a simplistic pt from econ 101. But, there is also gift exchange & efficiency wage theories that challenge that simple pt. & demonstrate out of equilibrium behavior.

Remember, tipping in situations that will not be repeated, is not equilibrium behavior

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I am referring to the worker, when you bump a person from something like $12 to $15, those low wage workers tend to spend that money rather than save. Meaning it goes straight back into the local economy. That is the theory with “stimulus spending” too, but increasing wages tends to be even more powerful, as psychologically if a person believes their income will be stable going forward they are even more likely to spend. Plenty of research shows this highly correlated pass-through spending effect on lower and middle income earners.

By uneconomic, I mean jobs where people work them and are still on govt handouts. There's MILLIONS of these jobs that don't even provided people a subsistence wage. It's true that you might lose a chunk of them, like i said it's basically ECON 101, it's drilled into any economic student's brain that price controls (which is what a minimum wage is) cause market inefficiencies. I'm just pointing out the jobs that cannot be culled by employers will see people having increased wages and spending power. It's a trade-off overall. It isn't just one sided job destruction. The question if you are looking at it as a policy, is the trade-off of losing a few jobs worth the higher wages for those that remain.

It is a fair point that this might make it harder to hire students. I recall when I was a teenager working my first job, they were actually allowed to pay you less if you were 15 or 16 (and you also were only allowed to work very reduced hours). I'm sure even in a $15 wage world, they could make similar arrangements for part-time teenagers and students.

In either case, I've voiced my concerns in the past over the "$15 wage" push, and years ago (when it became a bit of a movement) I actually said it would probably be better to go more slowly, they should be push for $12 instead of $15. But with so many states already hitting $15 and some going beyond, I do agree with you it's almost a moot point now for most of the country, other than in some of the poorest states (like MS) where it may have some disparate impacts.

14. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
  15. PD

PD GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    TOP has no idea how the economy works, has no idea what the average American life is like, and has no concept of the economic history of this country.

Other than that, TOP was utterly preposterous.

16. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    while i tended to agree with the first part of it, my thought was this was aimed to confirming like minded peoples thinking, and is not at all an attempt to persuade. That was confirmed later when he told me I need to join the peaceful BLM protests and acknowledge that cops are systematically killing blacks and that all the worlds problems are due to systematic racism. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I don’t think that is the message. I’m not sure why it bothers conservatives to acknowledge inequality when it’s subtle or even overt but it does.

Example: as soon as the George Floyd situation included a small but damaging unruly portion to the protests suddenly the cause wasn’t worthy at all. As if blacks treated differently and killed by police was offset by broken windows. What. The. Hell.

18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    George Floyd was a situation where I initially thought the cop was overcharged, but the lawyers on this board have persuaded me otherwise (provided that it's still second degree murder). To be honest I haven't followed that case for months.

That said, I think what conservatives generally say is that two or more things can be true at once:

1. George Floyd was wrongfully killed.

2. America is not systemically racist.

3. Black Lives Matter is a Neo-Marxist organization.

4. Riots and looting are bad.

5. Then, some conservatives say he was overcharged, but I have been persuaded that this is simply incorrect. Second Degree Murder seems like the right charge.

19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Just curious, do you believe that there are any tradeoffs in raising the minimum wage?

Or do you believe employers just don't pay employees $15 per hour because they're mean and don't care about their employees?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  20. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    obviously

I’d more phrase it in terms of the supposed existing systematic racism is exaggerated. Racism does exist. We definitely have a history of systematic racism. Some of it still exists. But some things being blamed on systematic racism, such as some of these killings by cops, is not supportable by any reasonable review of the evidence.

I have no idea if that is true. Just because you protest racism, even to the extent where it doesn’t exist, and you are liberal, doesn’t mean you are neo Marxist. This is just an irrelevant assertion.

Of course they are. And it is sickening how they have been tolerated in some places, especially Portland. Having said that, it’s hard to blame the peaceful protesters for the rioting and looting.

I agree. It was just over the top. There is no rational reason to do what he did. In some of the other cases, such as WI, Atlanta , MO, etc the cops were acting well within their training. Briana Taylor event was very complicated and lots of blame to go around. So we have a lot of different situations with wildly different fact patterns all being lumped together as racist cop killings and systematic racism.

• Agree Agree x 1