Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Revives Republican Party

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How would abolishing the min wage assist you?

2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Let's hope you are right. However, The state is projected to have a shortfall of $3-5 billion (with a B) this year. Florida's primary source of revenue is sales taxes and with tourism in the dumper it doesn't look good to me.

No doubt the boys in tally will look to cut health care and education as well as any other safety net program they can find. Hopefully, they surprise me and at least start taxing internet sales and eliminate the corporate tax loopholes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Republican Party needs a wake up call. Here it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't believe the election was stolen, but over 80 million votes for Joe Biden which destroys the record of his incredibly popular Democratic predecessor raises some eyebrows, especially considering Joe Biden campaigned from his basement. I know a lot of that has to do with Trump rallying Democratic voters to vote against him, but over 80 million votes just seems like a lot to me.

Black Lives Matter is a Neo-Marxist organization with some domestic terrorists in their ranks, which I think is a relevant difference. Don't think an entire organization should take the fall over some bad actors. Democrats love mischaracterizing their goals and their tactics to make them sound bipartisan, when in fact they're a Democratic interest group that seeks to achieve such ends by framing America as a systemically racist place and framing every police killing of a Black person as an instance indicative of systemic racism. They also mischaracterize our criminal justice system as one that incarcerates and executes people just because of the color of their skin. That is an outright conspiracy theory and myth.

With respect to the riot on the Capitol. Again, every Republican I know has condemned the riot. Democrats love acting like QAnon is the new Republican Party. I don't think I've ever read or seen like a single thing from QAnon. And I have no interest in that because I have no interest in conspiracy theories.

Folks like the gentleman in this video, and frankly, most Democrats in general just don't understand the mainstream Republican. And they'll never bridge that gap and unite until they try to rather than try to characterize them in the worst possible light.

Seriously this reeks of Lincoln Project fodder for the Democratic base rather than a true message trying to "reach out" to Republicans.

5. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My question is: what is going to happen to states like Mississippi, Arkansas, and West Virginia when minimum wage is jacked up to $15/hr? What happens when unemployment in those states jumps up to 30-40%? Mississippi already has (or had) a cottage industry of people buying lots of house insurance and then burning their own house down. I don't think the state can base their entire economy on insurance fraud, as some people call it. Maybe they can make reality shows about making moonshine. These states don't have much of a high-tech economy, and will not develop one overnight. And there are quite a few states that are doing only slightly better than these three: Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Rhode Island.

Mississippi woman arrested for insurance fraud

6. TampaGator17

TampaGator17 BEST IN THE WORLD Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland
    Though I whole-heartedly agree with this, this will do nothing to convince anyone on the Right. They'll dig down further into their mental bunker and continue to deny reality. The best way to reach cult members is to have them speak with former cult members.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    "It just doesn't feel right to me" has been the source of every BS thing since November 3rd including the Capitol riots.

Please refer to Trump voters' statements the day after election day in 2016 to what most people think can be done with those feelings.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It could be an issue in the poorest of the poor states. There’s no doubt that raising minimum wage reduces total # of jobs. Econ 101 when you do price controls you get some type of disequilibrium. Is that necessarily a bad thing when the product is jobs? If we want 100% employment we can go back to slave labor or indentured servitude.

Don’t forget the people who have higher disposable income will be spending more, and that is an economic offset and job creator. It isn’t *ALL* job destruction, you are only considering the negative side of the equation - the job destruction. But what if it’s only “uneconomic” jobs being destroyed? Jobs that have people locked into indentured servitude or heavy on social welfare anyway? I’m not saying that will be entirely the case, maybe in a state like Mississippi some “real” jobs would be destroyed at the $15 level. So some caution is warranted about how big and sudden a wage jump is pushed.

I just think if things are going so horribly in Mississippi, maybe they should try going along with something like this (doing it graduated over a period of 5 or 10 years so it isn’t a sudden shock to small businesses)? Look at it this way: you are saying their economy is so broken RIGHT NOW and incomes are so poor in MS that insurance fraud is the only recourse, that isn’t exactly an argument to maintain the status quo there, is it?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I agree, speculation and feelings aren't enough to sway the results of the election.

Just curious, you don't think it's weird Biden got more than 10 million more votes than 08 Obama, the previous record, while campaigning from his basement?

10. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is it odd that Trump got a lot more?

Seems the fact that T got more is proof positive that we must entertain them and be inclusive. The fact that Biden got more is proof that it is a fraud.

Perhaps when you make it easier for voters to vote you get more voters voting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s like you’re totally incapable of seeing how terrible Donald Trump is, the righteous anger he fueled which drove voter registration efforts and interest, and caused some non-Democrats to vote for Biden.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    This wasn’t just high voter turnout, he slaughtered the previous record for most votes in an election by ten million.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Possible explanation.

14. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The GA special election also had million more than general election, completely shattered previous records......
    People love or hate Trump. More dislike him than love.
    Don’t worry, the Dems are bad at politics and will soon lose independents :) ymmv

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There were 28 million more eligible voters in 2020 than in 2008. I don't think it is weird that Biden got 10 million more votes in 2020 than Obama did in 2008.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Yeah, its also weird that people think this election was 'close' but the Bush/Dukakis one was a blowout when the popular vote margins are basically identical. But that's the EC for you.

17. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    You seem fixated on Biden’s basement. He could have campaigned from a brothel in Thailand and still won.
    Trump was alienating people for years and discouraging people from voting by railing against mail in ballots. It’s like he was trying to lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Imagine that. Most people in low wage jobs, who have almost never been afforded an opportunity to vote due to calculated voter disenfranchisement were finally able to have their voices heard. Go figure.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Early on in this thread I started this same discussion with @gator_lawyer, but never had a chance to respond to him. I wanted to follow up with him because I find this discussion fascinating, but never did. I will follow up here, as I am intrigued by a few of your comments. In regards to "people with higher disposable income will be spending more". Why would minimum wage hike impact that? Is it due to the associated increase costs passed through from business to consumer? Ultimately, no viable business is going to eat the increased labor costs, but rather they are passed on to the consumers, correct?? Or am I not understanding the point you are making.

Also, in regards to your hypothesis that only "uneconomic" jobs may be destroyed. How does one define those?? There are hundreds of thousands of part time jobs that require nothing more than a person be of legal age to work. Many of those jobs are filled by high school and college students looking to make a few dollars. Are these examples of the "uneconomic" jobs you are referring to??? If so, where do we find opportunity to employ those people going forward?

Finally, as I had mentioned earlier in an earlier post, the $15/hour minimum wage debate is really kind of a moot point. Many states, including Florida most recently, already have minimum wage set to $15 or close/hour. We will get to see in real time what the data tells us, but guessing that any hoped for gain is going to be more than off-set by job losses and net-net this will have a very neutral impact on the economy.

20. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And also still essentially a full 1/3 of eligible voters didn’t show. 66.7% or so.

While an increase in participation, still lots of votes left out there. When you consider both sides framed it as existential crisis, and I myself did too, it’s not really an impressive showing as a whole, IMO.

The very Idea Of America was at stake! 3 of every 10 voters: let me know what you guys decided.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1