Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Revives Republican Party

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Uh what? They got to count legal property towards their population for purposes of representation. I would love to not 'fully benefit' from counting 3/5th of the cars in Florida toward my representation. That would give me more power. Sure only 3/5ths extra power instead of 5/5ths, but still lol.

2. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    It was better than their totally counting for representation purposes.

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Well, I guess congratulations to the framers for their not total capitulation to slavers. If that's your position, I'd love to negotiate some deals with you!

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Can we break the discussion on "minimum wage" into a few parts?

Not all jobs are the same.

Why does a part time low level job, ex: ice cream server, bag boy, car wash attendant (typical jobs that young HS kids get for pocket money) need to be lumped in with people working a 40 hour a week job trying to support themselves?

One size approaches don't work.

Can we agree that some jobs aren't worth the same as others?

Can we agree that some jobs should not be consider a route to support an adult lifestyle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Why arent all jobs the same? Who came up with idea that some jobs arent "real" jobs? That just sounds like a way of getting around paying people a fair wage.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    Women, children, and prisoners counted. As did indentured servants. I hear what you are saying though.

7. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Is this serious?
    I'm trying to have a discussion and this is what you ask?

If you can't see the difference in a kid bagging groceries 10 hours a week and a guy managing a business why even talk?

It's not that a job is "real" or not, but this idea that EVERY JOB should pay a living wage is a bit silly.

BTW what salary is a living wage? Does it vary base on where you live?

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    It is serious. Any job that isn't paying a wage you can live on is exploitation. The only reason that exploitation exists is because of an irrational view that some jobs aren't serious. The average age of a fast food worker is in their 30s. Yet people, with no evidence or based purely on nostalgia or myth, think its a job for HS kids in the summer instead of a job that should be able to support someone. That's just as untethered from material fact as the gamestop stock being worth $400 a share. Why should any job that you cant live on exist?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

Why is the responsibility of a business owner to pay more than what a jobs skill sets are worth?
    Because now every job is job someone has to live on? Says who?

Supply and demand applies to the job market and wages also.

Sorry some jobs aren't serious, bagging groceries? Flipping burgers? Those are simplistic, jobs which require no thought and or skills.

10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Why arent those things serious? How does a burger restaurant make money without someone cooking the burger? Seems pretty crucial to the operation. The most important thing really.

11. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    We should probably replace the minimum wage with a universal income at some point. And that does mean we will be subsidizing low wage employers, but it's the lesser of 2 evils.

12. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    many jobs don’t have to exist. These low paying jobs you abhor may just go away. I’m guessing that isn’t the outcome you are looking for.

Even any generous interpretation of “all jobs are the same” is just preposterous.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    If a job only exists because they can pay someone very little money, it should go away

14. l_boy

l_boy VIP Member

Jan 6, 2009
    so if somebody wants to work for $12.00, by your infinite wisdom they should not be allowed to?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Of course not. If someone wants to enslave themselves, I dont we should let people take advantage of that either.

16. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yet these unreal jobs were deemed “essential.”

And these unreal jobs are somehow critical to producing a productive workforce. Think of all the doctors out there who never worked at McDonald’s. Clearly these are untrained amateurs who can’t be trusted to diagnose a disease.

But I am glad to see people coming around to my position that if these jobs are so mindless that a robot can do them, then that’s exactly what should happen.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    When I peruse my county and school board's web site there are a lot of jobs that do not pay $15 an hour. Several start off at $8 an hour. I wonder why I've never heard anyone ask to have their property taxes increased in order to pay clerks et al a "livable" wage.

18. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, it all comes down to how you define a living wage. Or, how you define "living". Is a person entitled to cable TV? Or should he be reduced to going to a public library and suffer the degradation of having to READ BOOKS! Is he entitled to internet and iPhone? Or should he be reduced to a LAND LINE and ACCESS TO ENCYCLOPEDIAS at the library? Should he eat bean soup? Or caviar and filet mignon? Should his living wage pay for his own car, or should he suffer the humiliation of riding the city bus? Is he not living if he eats bean soup and takes the bus? Dishwasher or sink? Dryer or clothesline? Does he have to get a roommate, or can he live by himself? Can he have a 2-pack a day cigarette habit and a 6-pack of beer every day, or will he suffer the indignity of having to give those up to pay for food? Someone has to decide what determines "living" and what does not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    $12.00/hr is now enslavement... SMH

They always have a choice, learn a trade, go to college.

Sorry this comes from my perspective of living on minimum wage on my own since I was 19, it drove me back to college for a job that I could live better on, that drove me to stay in school and get yet another degree to "perish the thought" make more money.

Was it easy? Nope
    Did I still go and have fun as a young adult yup.
    Somehow I was able to afford 1-2 ski/surf trips a year.
    No car payment, no cable TV was how I did those other things...

20. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Back to the original thread topic. Is the Republican party really revived? Outside of a few select issues to unify on, it appears to me that the Republican party is having quite an identity crises. They are attacking and attempting to eat any party member who is non-Q.

• Agree Agree x 1