Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Revives Republican Party

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chemgator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    With a new proposal for $2 trillion stimulus/rescue package that includes $15/hr national minimum wage. Poor people of America: get used to receiving "rescue money", because chances are your job is going away permanently. Biden is giving corporations more than enough incentive to replace minimum wage workers with robots and computer screens. The cost of living will go up as well, as supermarkets and fast food chains pass on the additional costs to the customers.

I'm sure Biden wanted to have a transformational effect on the economy, I just didn't see him destroying it in his first month in office. I'm starting to regret voting for him.

Biden unveils $1.9 trillion 'rescue plan'

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Remember when Trump did $1600 in direct payments? But Now $1400 is going to kill America ... LOL

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Paying anyone $7.25 for an hours worth of work is a crime in itself. $15 federal minimum wage is good.

31/50 states have a minimum wage under $10. That's hogwash.

Perhaps the lesson should be for CEO's to stop being so greedy and pay your employees.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Minimum wage would be $24 if it had tracked with inflation. FDA is right ... $7.25 is a joke.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Paying people a living wage. Oh the horrors.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    MMT, get used to it.

7. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Let's see how this ages.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    My guess is that only major corporations are positioned to go the route of automation. Will small businesses have resources to develop personnel-replacing equipment? Perhaps I'm wrong, but gimme an example of a $15/hr worker that is going to shut down a business and I'll give you a handful of fat cats who might just have to spread their wealth around to remain in business. They are either going to have to pay upfront costs to develop machines or make more modest adjustments that cost less in the short term. It may be a catch 22 for small businesses and that's where the consideration should be given.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    I am very much okay with tax money being put back into the sector of America that will surely spend it rather fast. This is great for the economy! This spurs the commercial sector and allows for the economy to ride out the remaining months before a mass vaccination can take place.

The funny thing is I expect this to become a extreme Republican calling card to the negative even though it actually benefits most. Guess misinformation will become key just as it did when Obama literally saved the economy from implosion. Many conservatives merely ignore that point and the point of how the economy continued to rise throughout his 8 years. What Biden proposes is logical and needed. Now whether or not some feel like they "will always get something for free" then I have to agree that there are already some that carry that ideal. In fact, I have personally seen what the 600.00 addition to unemployment has done. 2 hires literally ran out of benefits and when hired by me went from enthusiastic interviewers to guys that worked from minute one to get fired and used racial tones to insure it would allow them to get new benefits. Long story but I felt like I was part of a movie because even though they were hired at different times worked very hard to insure that 1. they were being disrespected 2. that the disrespect was racial. It was clear that they never wanted to work and that they were simply dotting the i's and crossing the t's to a new pass to unemployment. They didn't get it fyi. One of the hires told me straight up that he didn't want to work but his benefits ran out and that he was making twice what we offered him on unemployment. I do see that as a big issue but in these times am willing to inject the economy now and then let all those in for the free ride learn to readjust their thinking once the economy returns to expansion. Those 2 guys taught me a big lesson on how we must be careful with the handouts without harming the ones that are in need of a short term assistance.

• Like Like x 3
  10. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Florida has already passed the $15 an hour wage hike.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think it is an unfair conversation to have. I feel that the country is moving to a better place with Biden in the White House but there is a tricky balance with the economic side and the looming downturn.

Sure, 15 dollars per hour ($30,000/year) is a more reasonable living wage for most.

The other side is the small business owner that has just had their ass kicked financially over the past 10 months and is trying to regain their footing. Does raising the payroll force the elimination of a positions for the sake of balance? The second tier employees above the entry level jobs that had been making a bit more than minimum wage will certainly expect a bit more which would be fair, but that continues to trickle up.

I certainly have not read the proposal and maybe there are small business incentives built in to assist with the increased payroll expenses.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Haven't read the plan, but I don't think it's going from $7.25 to $15 overnight if it passes ... those things are usually phased in as smaller increases over several years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    We have one person in our small company the makes under 15, and that is because he started < 3 months ago.
    That extra 50 cents won’t hurt although the ripple it has in wage inflation in the area might.
    I am 100% certain it will be less painful than the $1.6 million or so we paid in punitive tariffs last year.

• Like Like x 3
  14. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    You are now cancelled

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I do not think that $15/hr min wage breaks too many businesses. While I have never owned my own business, I am friends with enough people who do to know that they will pay the new min wage (now, they may not be willing to expand their work force so quickly, but if they need employees, they will pay more).

However, and this is what bothers me about the proposal. Ideally, we would be discouraging people from seeking out career, full-time employment at Taco Bell and other min wage jobs, not incentivizing it. A Min Wage of $15/hr ($31,400/year) is MORE than starting teachers make in at least 1 state (Montana), and on par or really close with starting teacher salary in at least 8 other states as of 2019.

https://www.niche.com/blog/teacher-salaries-in-america/

Do we really want to discourage people from going to college and becoming teachers or social workers who make even less than teachers on average, when you could not spend any money on college, go to McDonalds or Wal-Mart or Dollar General and be paid nearly the same or better?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I know the go-to is to gripe about corporations not paying employees $15.00 an hour as the CEO rakes in millions. But in reality those examples are pretty few compared to small businesses that barely (or often times don't) make it. 99.9% of businesses are small and roughly 50% of people work for a small business. I'm not against the $15.00, but to think this won't put a lot of places under is naïve. I currently pay my guys a good bit above the industry average, but still below $15.00. These are low-skilled labor jobs and finding guys even willing to show up is half the battle. Any labor increase is just getting passed on next time I renew my contracts, so I don't think this will be that major of a deal, but it certainly needs to be handled delicately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    So after 8 trillion in national debt by Trump in four years, all of a sudden the Tea partiers object? :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Biden has clearly ruined Florida. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. RIP

RIP Election Prediction Savant VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    You remain...unfunny.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Another way of interpreting what you're saying is that we should make it impossible for people at those jobs to make a living to "encourage" them to better themselves. But if people can't make a living, what's the point of even having those jobs? Wouldn't the logical thing to do be raising the salaries of teachers and social workers?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1