Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Administration's Admission They're Flagging Content to Facebook

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 16, 2021.

1. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    No one knows if it's disinformation or not including you. They told FB that their are posts that they don't like that go against the Fed's ideology. If FB takes them down then they became an extension of the government and they lose their 1st amendment privileges. This is how dictators run the media and now this administration is doing the same thing.

2. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
  3. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I don't understand this. Lots of other companies take action after being notified by federal authorities that they are violating rules, especially if you are engaged in international operations centered around IP protection. Believe it or not, the federal government does a much better job of monitoring activity than most companies own IT departments.

As long as the government is not setting the rules, but only notifying Facebook that their own rules are being broken, I am not sure I see an issue......especially during a National Health Emergency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    dude you only think you don’t know because you’ve bought the propaganda campaign. If the misinformation was like cancer you are now a cancer cell.

5. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The rules you are talking about are government rules. The actions in this issue are Facebook's rules and also involve speech. The government shall not abridge speech.

6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    But how is the government letting Facebook know that Facebook's rules are being broken "abridging speech"?

I cannot go into the rest of it, so I will just acknowledge that your right about that for most cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In your example of government monitoring things that most IT departments don't catch. If you receive a notification from the government, would you consider that just a "suggestion for action" or is it something that you better do if you know what is good for your company. If it is the latter, then I would think that is how Facebook looks at those reports from the government.

If Dr. Fauci wants to sit at home and report posts, have at it, I don't see a problem with that. But if he is sitting at work on his government computer then that is a problem in my opinion, because the government is censoring speech.

8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    So, you would have been fine with Adolph Coors, Henry Ford and John Rockefeller posting anti-Jew hate speech and pro-Natzi propaganda on the theoretical Facebook during World War II. Even if Facebook had rules against hate posts, and pro-Nazi propaganda during a National Emergency? Even knowing that such posts were leading to attacks on Jews and ultimately leading to death. Even knowing that pro-Nazi, pro-Hitler rallies would have hampered the US War Effort and put the lives of American soldiers at risk??

This is the exact same situation, only our enemy is a micron-sized particle that has now killed 4 million people around the world. Republican hate speech and false information, posted in violation of Facebook policy, is crippling the US War Effort against this micron-sized threat and costing the lives of innocent people and taking a heavy financial toll on our country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Man have they vilified Fauci. Just wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There is one side benefit to this moral panic - it helped confirm Lina Khan to FTC and may actually lead to antitrust enforcement. Facebook should be broken up for it’s anticompetitive conduct. Conservatives who usually favor leviathan economic predation make an exception for FB because it is the primary source of their medical data and other “truths” “they” don’t want you to know. And even though their voices predominate the platform, they fear it will be limited as a potential tool to call upon to help end democracy in the event democracy requires pluralistic power sharing.

So Lina Khan gets confirmed. Chicago School indictrinees are burrowed in, so it mat a long slog. But at least the fight has been brought!

11. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    In the most repressive one-party societies does anyone think the government makes executive orders to adjust the information? They install friendly media players and then tip them off occasionally.

I for one am tired of my wife's Facebook posts (she NEVER posts ANYTHING political) being flagged as misinformation.

The latest one? Last week she posted a cutesey saying and it was flagged as "Not a CS Lewis quote" by the "Australian Associated Press" whoever that is.

She didn't even mention CS Lewis or say her cute one liner was a quote at all.

And the President of the United States is out complaining today there isn't enough of a crackdown on Facebook users.

This is total BS. I can't believe there are free people who support this.

12. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    The right wing outrage on this one is rich. Trump worked directly with Fox hosts and continually attacked a free press that was far more Orwellian and dangerous to our democracy. After we saw him turn into the crazy uncle in the basement during the debate, I understand why he hated a free press. His lies were challenged and he obviously wasn't equipped to deal with issues that required a lot of thought and preparation.

The Biden admin, pointing out misinformation scaring people from getting a vaccine that may save their lives, and without threat of financial or other penalties, is responsible leadership by the people missioned with preventing a worsening health crisis. The administration routinely points out that Fox news hosts are spewing the same dangerous misinformation, which Fox uses to ramp up their viewership.

Now if a representative of Pfizer were to make unsubstantiated claims about their vaccine, the FDA would not hesitate to hammer them with massive fines and other penalties. I'm glad they have that authority because it is directly impacting people's health and I don't consider that Big Brother coming after them.

13. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Where are you seeing hardcore conservatives in favor of Facebook?

Because my impression is that nearly all of them would be excited to see Facebook (and Twitter, and Google, and Amazon) wrecked by the government. Not because of how they treat posts about COVID, but the more long-running idea that the tech giants are generally hostile to conservatives and engage in somewhat overt viewpoint discrimination.

14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not at all. But my point is they should be. Trump would have never been President without Facebook, and any daily listing of the most trafficked stories is heavily heavily slanted right. It would be very difficult to maintain the state of unreality in the base without it. To the extent that the so-called tech Giants are perceived as being against the Right, it's only because they occasionally have to be grounded in reality

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Yeah the double standard here is pretty ridiculous given the last administration's constant attacks against the media and Fox News and the rest of their ilk basically serving as state run media while Trump was in office.

Seriously, the administration made a public statement, it wasn't clandestine, saying they were going to try to battle misinformation - which is a HUGE need in this country.

Have you ever perused some of the shit getting posted on facebook? My father in law has been transformed into an insane person because of the information he consumes from facebook, most of which is bullshit.

This is a battle that must be fought.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's not even the double-standard that bothers me so much, but the superficiality of the gripe.

Sure, Trump led attacks on media and social media for his entire time in office up to the point he was suspended, anyway, but Congress has hauled social media exec in front of them for political theater in which people like Zuck got grief from every which way. But now that a surgeon general put together a packet about dis & misinformation rampant on social media and publicly announcing that they would be alerting fb to it in what is an informal pressure is somehow overstepping and a threat to 1a etc...?

It doesn't jive, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    And here’s another thing - we know and have known for a while that Facebook is being used to spread dis and misinformation, some by foreign actors, yet fb does almost nothing because all they care about is making money. So who is going to reign this in? John q Public doesn’t have the power to do anything. Only the federal government has the resources to even start fighting this.

If they don’t who will?

18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    But are they hostile to cons or is that perhaps some cons are more likely to break terms of service in their posting that gets them banned?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Their’d

20. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think the actual correct and somewhat more nuanced version of the complaint is that they don’t apply their terms of service in an evenhanded manner. They take ticky-tack views to suppress conservative voices and opinions while leaving up posts by liberals and others that pretty clearly appear to facially violate the same policies they are stretching to remove/minimize conservative voices.