Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Administration's Admission They're Flagging Content to Facebook

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 16, 2021.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm not concerned about Facebook coming for me. I don't spread misinformation. And even if they did come for me, I couldn't care less about being booted. Have considered shutting it down for awhile now.

2. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Look, if you’re being mislead by Facebook, stop whining. You’re an idiot. As evidenced that you can be mislead by Facebook.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with both of these seemingly disparate takes.

I don’t see it as a first amendment issue because they seem to be using Facebook’s own protocols to flag the posts, but I’m still against them doing it. The government is the only coercive force in the nation, and it should leave media’s decisions alone.

4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 5
  5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You know, Trump literally blocked critics and other people from commenting on his Facebook and Twitter posts he made as president, posts which were often about government business. Where was the rightwing 1A outrage for that?

Other than that, there is a “report” button that ANYONE can use to report a post, and it is up to Facebook to decide if the post violates their TOS. No 1A problem, there.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    This whole topic is rather amazing given the literal misinformation warfare the prior admin engaged in...indeed they were some of the chief abusers on Facebook/Twitter. Which is how they ended up banned by those private companies, but there was always this effort of coercion from the right (and it continues!). Trying to shape the narrative (and back in 2017, simply “blocking” people who spoke truth was one way they did that”). However I believe Trump did lose that ability, a judge ruled that as POTUS he couldn’t block people from his “official” page as that was a 1A issue. So it got separated into a White House account and a personal Donald j trump account. But then you had the issue of the POTUS spouting utter nonsense from his “personal” account. Giving “orders” from his personal account. Etc.

But alternative facts don’t care about context or consistency. They just care about creating outrage for their side. Even when their positions are ludicrously inconsistent on its face. Such as their complete willingness to “punish” facebook and media companies for their guy, then totally flip the other way and scream “1st Amendment!!!” when their guy is no longer POTUS. Funny how that works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The First Amendment has been weaponized as a tool of the powerful to effectuate oppression. Campaign Finance and now this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    The WH is reporting posts to admin just like posters do here at GC. It is then up to the admin on how to address the posts. FB is not taking direction from the WH

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    FAKE NEWS!!!!
    Banning reporters or refusing to allow them to ask questions
    Only granting interviews to those that sing your praises

Remind you of anyone?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Remember that the government now protecting you from disinformation used a knowingly false document full of disinformation, the Steele Dossier, to try and bring down a political opponent in the ultimate disinformation campaign known as Russiagate.

They also told you Brett Kavanaugh led rape trains in high school.

They told you a high school student openly taunted a native American in DC.

They told you Trump ordered the gassing of protestors in front of the White House.

They told you they would never take a vaccine if it was available if Trump was President because it would be unsafe.

They told you travel bans from countries ravaged by Covid were racist and unnecessary and then later claimed they actually were calling for them earlier.

They told you anyone who dared to say Covid originated in China was a racist.

They told you Cuomo and Newsome were models for how to run a state during the pandemic but DeSantis was reckless and did not care how many people died.

They told you they never supported defunding the police but actually Republicans were the party promoting that platform.

Yeah, these guys will be great monitors of disinformation.

• Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Winner x 4
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    facebook.gov

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Didn’t know that. I saw that SCOTUS recently dismissed the case brought by the blocked users as “moot” (since Trump was no longer Pres.) so I figured it was still ongoing.

13. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I don't want Trump, Biden, the local dog catcher, or anyone else collecting a government paycheck influence peddling in social media. I don't give a damn what their politics are. And I don't think these social media outlets should be allowed to continue to hide behind a facade of private business if they do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Maybe it was still going through appeals? I wasn’t following the case all the way. I just know at one point Trump was no longer allowed to “block” people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Sounds like you think citizens united and the idea that corporate $$$ equals “free speech”, and should therefore be unrestrained, was a bunch of bs then. Good to hear.

16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Who is they? You seem to be conflating the US government with the media. The US government told us Kav led rape trains in high school? Link?

The steele dossier is the only example in your laundry list that has anything to do with government. The rest was the media.

17. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    To me this seems like a bad argument.

The idea that Facebook is treating reports from federal government leadership the same way they do a report from any other random idiot is laughably naive.

But even if you were to buy into the argument that “the feds are just bringing posts that violate Facebook’s own terms of service to its attention” rather than coercing Facebook to remove content that is disfavored by the government, I don’t think that “helping a publicly traded for-profit company enforce its terms of service and identify perfectly legal (but against the platform’s terms of service) content for potential removal” is a legitimate use of public resources and funds. If Tony Fauci wants to go home at night and wear out his personal mouse on his personal time clicking “report” from his personal Facebook account he can have at it, but the public does not need to be paying for public employees to “help” Facebook perform an entirely private function.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Bingo.

... and even that dossier was actually the product of a political campaign, not “the government”. No, the government didn’t take the Steele dossier as 100% fact, that is in itself misinformation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you think that the moderators on here would treat a report from Solari (Ray) the same as a report from a regular poster?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Methinks David Frum effectively shows it's not naive, but in line with what govt has been doing for a very long time. Also, very different in kind from the threats to punish fb (and twitter) that came out of the past admin and from folks in congress.

• Winner Winner x 2