Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Administration's Admission They're Flagging Content to Facebook

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 16, 2021.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's the Office of the Surgeon General, which is in HHS, not the White House, that is doing it.

2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Big tech on its own is pretty much worse than the worst big brother Orwell could have ever imagined. In terms of the information collection and how companies use that information to exploit you.

Worse yet, perhaps, is they’ve actually provided their tools to people who knowingly misuse them to spread lies more efficiently either for the purpose of making $$$ or for political gain. Again, the word for this activity is fraud.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    All part of the Executive Branch, which report to the President.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    Absolutely. But there is a difference. How significant is that difference? I don't know. Is Facebook removing every single post that HHS flags? Did it remove similar posts when reported by people who aren't working for the government? Those are good questions to ask.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    This is just one opinion, but David Frum makes some interesting points.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I get that. I'm questioning what exactly it means. I mean, I can certainly sympathize with similar questions about govt monitoring social media (see wgb's post about the USPS); I am against quite a bit of govt surveillance that occurs. But yet, these are presumably posts and videos etc that are public for anyone to see, including govt, so flagging them to send them to facebook to alert them doesn't seem quite the problem to me that others seem to think it is. Informal pressure campaigns by govt has in a variety of contexts has a long history.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    And at the very least, it's not as if they're being covert about it. They made it all public. Of course this is also a type of informal pressure campaign, but not by any stretch of the imagination is it novel nor ipso facto wrong. Depends...

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I actually applaud the transparency of it all. They came right out and said they were flagging these posts for Facebook. It seems like this could have been accomplished clandestinely with little issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The truth is on their side, at least.

I get the slippery slope argument, I just don’t think this approaches it. Not even close.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  10. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    You beat me my a minute! Agreed completely.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    You are absolutely correct on this. One of the first rule of tyrants and dictators is to "control the press" which this is exactly what this is. The REAL Fascism has arrived.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You mean the "enemy of the people?"

13. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    For Tyrants and Dictators you are 100% correct.

14. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Netflix has a series now that is called "How to be a Dictator. Everyone needs to watch it.

15. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    No...what you are referring to is free speech ....telling the press what to report on is completely different. Even you should be able to see this.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Like this?

• Winner Winner x 3
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t like it too much but you can’t ignore the fact that social media is an existential threat to the Republic. It was one of the main conduits through which a hostile foreign government worked to install a leader that would harm the US, and seems to be the main conduit for dangerous health misinformation. Look at the Big Lie. These things have always been with us, but social media seems to make dissemination so frictionless, in a form that grants unmerited credibility. You can’t keep the discussion at the abstract without acknowledging the real danger the Republic is in

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  18. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is totally absurd. You continue to support a fascist who literally tried to execute a coup, yet you conclude that others who have never supported a former president who is a proven fascist are themselves fascists. In fact, your statement above is nothing more than a ruse in support of Trump's fascist aims, because it is an effort to equate merely informing a social media site about statements that could cause the death of US citizens with a literal attempt to end democracy.

How could I not conclude that anybody who still supports the clearly fascist Trump is not a fascist? If you support fascist aims, are you not a fascist? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Ends justify the means! Good luck when they come for you!

20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Don’t you have to know something before you can truly love it? Your thought process is so far removed from truth I have a very difficult time with your name.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1