Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Administration's Admission They're Flagging Content to Facebook

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OklahomaGator, Jul 16, 2021.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Biden administration's admission they're flagging content to Facebook sparks furor

This could be a first amendment issue. I have no problem with social media platforms censoring content on their platforms. They are a private business. However, when they are doing it at the direction of the White House, that becomes a first amendment issue.
    That crosses the line to the government censoring speech.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Good. I'm glad they are. And Facebook would have to be acting on behalf of the government for it to be a First Amendment issue. The government sending them links to content that violates Facebook's own rules so Facebook will remove it would not implicate the First Amendment.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Interesting issue. As long as the government doesn't censure, or tells Facebook what to censure, not sure if there is a problem. If someone were to yell, "FIRE" is a crowded, privately owned theater, and cause a panic, that person is liable for what happens next, including charges filed by the local LEO who has jurisdiction. If someone on Facebook posts something similar to his/her public wall, for all to see, is it truly any different? I don't know.

4. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Facebook taking action after being notified by the government is starting down the slippery slope. Facebook should ask them to not send these notices and continue their own monitoring and censoring practices. The door to government oversight should not be opened.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  5. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    So basically the govt is reduced to using the “report” button to the Facebook overlords.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    You and I can report posts to Facebook. Why not the government?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  7. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Because you and I are not the government, which is prohibited from abridging the freedom of speech.

• Winner Winner x 4
  8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They aren't. They are pointing out potentially offending posts for Facebook to make its own determination. You are missing that distinction.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not a 1A issue until there is a penalty for not toeing the line. Sending correct info seems like a responsible governmental action to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Right, the White House is merely alerting social media that certain posts should be flagged. Lots of naive people around here. Of course they are telling FB what posts to take down. The fact that anyone on either side of the political spectrum would be ok with this is a very sad commentary on where our country is. The government should not be in the business of censoring information they disagree with. Just think 6 months or a year ago the information the current White House disagreed with that would have been taken down that turned out to most likely be true. Hunter Biden's laptop full of incriminating emails and photos. Trump did not order protestors to be gassed in front of White House. Covid started in a lab in Wuhan. We will have a vaccine by January thanks to Trump's efforts. Black Lives Matter is a marxist organization. Masks slow the spread of Covid. Oh wait, the compliant social media was already incorrectly censoring all that.

• Winner x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    As long as the government is not forcing any of this I don’t see the problem. It’s the responsible thing to do to at least try, without violating the constitution, to stop these despicable people from spreading false health information that has life or death consequences.

It may be a slippery slope, but these are extraordinary times we are living in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    They should not be doing it. The “not forcing” argument doesn’t fly due to the imbalance of power.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No it is not the right thing to do. At all. Ever. This is what they do in Cuba, China, Russia. The government does not agree with that statement so take it down. Then later when it becomes obvious the government is wrong. How do you fix that? You don't. It never gets fixed. But of course that is never part of the plan. Trump said the virus came from a lab in China he was ridiculed, censored etc. Now Biden says a lot of evidence pointing toward the virus coming from a lab in China. Why is he not censored? Why do so many of you think the Dems have the best of intentions and would never cross the line. They consistently cross the line and take everything too far.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Is the govt “abridging speech” when they prosecute someone for misrepresentation or fraud?

Seems like if people are knowingly profiting off misinformation/lies, a case could be made for fraud.

That doesn’t mean the pions who “follow” the misinformation should be attacked in any way, but I’ve seen the claim that something like a dozen people are responsible for a vast amount of the anti-vaxx misinformation on twitter and Facebook. If they are using things like bot networks and organized attempts to go viral with “inauthentic behavior”, I think a case can be made this is fraud. IMO. But to reach that level I think you have to demonstrate financial gain. If a person is willingly spreading misinformation for other reasons (insanity), then unfortunately that’s harder to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The root of the problem is Facebook has too much power and influence (particularly over morons).

Bad actors of course love this scenario, because it gives them opportunity to manipulate an easily accessible audience for power and financial gain. Is that what we call “free speech”? I suppose it is to an extent. But I don’t think Facebook can be a free for all of criminality and frauds either.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Is facebook making decisions at the direction of the WH or are they listening and deciding for themselves? It's not unheard of for govt to warn private companies of problems, but it could become a 1a issue only if there is some threat or coercion forcing fb to do something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yep, this is not a slope to go down. Put out the information and let Facebook police themselves. Let people pressure Facebook to do the right thing if it is important to them. But the government shouldn't even be approaching this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007

Jen Psaki says: "....we are flagging problematic posts for Facebook,..." (emphasis added).

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gator_lawyer

Oct 30, 2017
    No, in China, the government doesn't report it to the private business to give them the option of taking it down. In China, the government simply blocks the content itself. That's the distinction, and it's quite significant.

• Like Like x 2
  20. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't have a problem with them correcting false information, making every effort to get accurate info out to the public, but they can't be Big Brother here. And you can't possibly believe that if Facebook gets a call or email from the White House that they view that the same as a report by anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1