Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bianchi commentary: Spurrier keeps promise to call 1990 team champs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Apr 8, 2020.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    commentary
    Spurrier keeps promise to call 1990 team champs
    Thirty years ago, way back in 1990, Steve Spurrier made a vow to his very first Florida Gators football team, and even today he keeps that promise to anybody and everybody who will listen.

That 1990 team, quarterbacked by Shane Matthews, finished 6-1 and atop the 10-team SEC standings, but the Gators were ineligible to play in a bowl game due to a mid-season ruling handed down by the NCAA. According to SEC bylaws at the time, if a team was banned from a bowl game, it was ineligible to compete for a conference championship.

Spurrier and his UF coaches and players were not a part of the NCAA’s decision, which stemmed from former coach Galen Hall allegedly arranging a $360 child support payment for one of his players. To this day, Spurrier counts the 1990 team among the “seven” SEC championships he won as UF’s coach instead of ”six” conference titles he’s officially credited with in the SEC record books.

“I was talking to Shane Matthews about that 1990 team just the other day,” says Spurrier, the first coach in UF’s previously unremarkable history to ever win a conference championship. “We talked about how that team paved the way for all the rest of ‘em. Somebody had to be the first to do it and go out and win a conference championship, and that team did it. They could have tossed in the towel when they found out they wouldn’t be recognized as the champions. I told them then, ‘I tell you what, if we win it, I’ll recognize you as champions for the rest of my life.’ “
    And, so, he has.
    I was a young, upstart reporter 30 years ago on my first major beat covering Spurrier’s first UF team. I caught up with the Head Ball Coach the other day and we reminisced about that 1990 team and discussed a number of other topics during a wide-ranging interview. Here are highlights of our conversation:
    Spurrier: “Hey, Bianchi, do you remember one of the first questions you asked me during spring ball before the 1990 season?”
    Bianchi: “I don’t even remember what I said yesterday. What did I ask 30 years ago?”
    Spurrier keeps promise to call 1990 team champs

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I know many of our posters won't click on Bianchi, but this is a great one. You will be glad you did.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. sas1988

sas1988 Sophomore

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    The Spur-dog never disappoints.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. MRG8R

MRG8R Sophomore

Apr 3, 2007
    Depth? What position does he play? Had not heard that one before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Bianchi and Tofu-two things I’m not getting near no matter how bad this gets

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't hate Bianchi like some around here. I get that he stirs the pot and writes some dumb things, but in general I think he writes some interesting things.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t hate the guy - just SMH at most of the lame stuff he writes. Style-wise he blows Robbie away - but he frequently turns his back on the Gators and that’s why I’ve chosen to not click. That said, I did open this one and I liked it. Good job on this one.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    This ones really good

10. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    The 1984 Gators were the first football team to win the SEC Championship “on the field”. I enjoyed the article, though.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Folks are pretty hard on writers and sports announcers around here. Herbstreet sucks, Biancci, Palmer, the Gainesville Sun guys. They can't be homers on everything. Lack of objectivity doesn't work. Favoritism doesn't work either. The reality is, they only suck some of the time, usually. People think Jesse Palmer hates the Gators. I've heard him on television say how his time in Gainesville, being a Gator, was the best time of his life. He bleeds Orange and Blue. People get butt-hurt when sports guys tell the truth.

I don't hate any of those guys. I like listening to some of them more then others though.

America-get freaking healthy. We need footsball...:eek::(:)

Go Gators:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Bianchi has a nice conversation with the HBC.

I’m in Cali. It seems like ages since I was able to do something like golf or go to someone’s house far away.

Coach, you’re at HIGH risk, should God forbid you get Covid. Just stay home!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BrianUF5220

BrianUF5220 Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    Palm City, FL
    I am not a Never Bianchier, but I do try to avoid most of his stuff.

I will always read an article about Spurrier though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Bianchi is lucky to have covered spurrier. He is an average writer who pokes to get attention. That article is good, but only because the HBC is such a great quote.

Now, the HBC? He is the man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Thank God for YouTube! I have been watching the OBC and the Gator's games in the 90's and early 2000s. Particularly games against Utenn. I tried to look for myself in the crowd, but can't seem to find me in the sea of O&B. Anyway, it was fun looking back at those games even the games that they lost were enjoyable to watch (911 makeup game against UT). I really believe that UF would have won that game if it was played early in the season. Damn terrorists @#$%!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    There may come a long another coach to win more championships, more games, more accolades. I hope so.

But there will never be another Steve Spurrier.

Hell, even the people that can't stand him for kicking their ass over 30 years of coaching and hitting them with one line zingers respect the hell out of him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I love coach Spurrier, but he called plays that makes you go WTF. One game that pissed me off so bad was the 94 game against UTee. Defense played great up 31 to zilch with 35 secs left in the game. Danny took over from Dean in the last few mins of the game. He called for a pass and was intercepted.

18. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    :emoji_punch: This.

I love Spur-dog...but you can't say 1990 was "first," without recognizing 1984, and for that matter 1985, which also finished tied for first in the SEC for wins (and beat the champion, UT, on the field). Maybe he should say it was his "first."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1