Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Beware the Curse of the Third Year...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MoscowGtr, Dec 31, 2019.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. Half our posters neither think nor read well. OTOH we have months after the Spring game to discuss OL, WR, and RB concerns.

Havesy better get going. CDM was not happy with him last night. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019

No doubt we have issues to address. I think Mullen navigating the season without a running game bodes well for our upcoming issues. I don't see any upcoming concerns being as significant as the lack of run game this year and our safety and linebacker play(other than Reese). We have some figuring out to do but again, I think all those other years had bigger issues in their 3rd years to deal with

3. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Extremely concerned for our defense next year with the loss of Greenard, and even Luke Ancrum. As you pointed out Zu might as well have been gone. Who do you guys see stepping up to carry the mantle for next great pass rusher at UF? We've had some really good ones over the years. Also I think our LB core will be young but potentially special with Diabete , Tyron Hopper, Burney & David Reese. Still a concern from an experience standpoint though.

Safety play - Not going to lie, not concerned to see Jaewon Taylor leaving. I guess Quincy Lenton and Stiner will be back as Seniors along with Stewart and Shawn Davis. I think we need to start Stewart and Davis and pray for no injuries there, maybe think about moving Dean to Safety if he can bulk up and get physical enough.

Think we can play Elam, Kimbrough/Hill and Marco as our CB's and get our young guys some snaps as this class was loaded with DB talent.

4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Come on, man. No such thing as curses. Watch out for the boogey man, too.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Blows me away that Mullen transitioned to a pass first offense with Trask and it worked. Remains to be seen if he migrates back to a full on DT offense.
    If the loss of a grad transfer and 3 star Randy Shannon flyer are irreplaceable third season staff dropped the ball badly. Should be okay. I’m more worried about the following season when our DL recruiting shows up.

Our DB class is the gem of this cycle imho although obviously we needed the DL badly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I think we get faster and more athletic on defense at most positions. Praying Cox is a gamer and diabate puts on weight without losing his agility. I think we are clearly more stout in the interior with what we return. We get young Reese back from injury.

True freshmen are always just a hope but we have some real athletes coming in. Elam was capable this year. Hoping one and maybe two guys out of Dexter, wingo and one of our incoming DBs are ready to play. I know that is just hoping but it is possible

7. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It really boils down to if Slaton actually takes the next step to become a disruptive force in the middle. If he does (and perhaps Dexter can give some quality reps on passing downs), we can find enough off the edge from the guys we have Cox, Moon, and Bogle.

I do expect the D to take a step back, so they better get the OL sorted out to offset.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    People are a little hungover from the near disaster last night so don't take it personally lol. I simply think that Meyers 3rd year was probably the "best" considering the circumstances....one of which was the fact that we had Dan Mullen on that team and the offense was unstoppable. It was the defense that was a disaster that year but we came back the next year with one of the best and deepest defenses in the league on our way to a NC. Held the highest scoring team of all time to 14 points.

I can see us taking a step back next year or best case secure 10 wins again. I think our OOC schedule is pretty easy and we get LSU at home which helps. But I am a little nervous about our away games. The trip to Ole Miss with that offensive talent vs our young defense and a competent coach (from X's and O's standpoint) will be tough. I think Tennessee and FSU will be better as well and both of those games are away games so we better learn to run the ball and keep those teams off the field. Also don't overlook Kentucky with them getting the transfer QB from Auburn. We were fortunate to win 2 of the last 3 games against them.

I think our year should be year #4 when we hopefully secure a top 5 recruiting class after our 3rd year with an elite RB and our O Line has time to gel. EJ or Anthony Richardson will be starting so we'll have a different looking offense with a mobile QB that can make plays. We'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Forgot about Cox, he will be HUGE. I think we're getting better but you're right hoping on just potential. Hopefully Grantham has his guys that can execute his D scheme to perfection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    As far as hoping on potential young guys, I just think with the physical talent we are bringing in we at least have a chance for upgrades instead of trotting out the same average or worse guys we have had to play in some positions. I wont use names because they played their best and represented us well but were short on talent.

11. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Really. On New Year's Eve, after a bowl victory, and an 11 win season. We sucked for about 10 years and now we have some real success and this crap gets posted.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Saban's third year produced a NC and started a run of success never seen in the modern football era.

13. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    We're going to get better and better, because we will adjust to any of today's short comings............remember we got DAN! and we now own the state.

14. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Dammit man! Now I'll be looking under the bed at night for the next week or two!

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    It’s only a curse if you allow it to be. The incoming class with 10-11 early enrollees with spring ball and Savage will pay dividends come August camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I refuse to defend Mac. His 1st 2 seasons was due to Muschamp's defense, not his offensive prowess. Mac was a fraud, a waste of time and money. Once Muschamp's defense graduated in full by Year 3, Mac was exposed as the fraud he is. My mom could call better plays than Mac and probably could coach the players up better than Mac. Not one player under Mac improved, with most all of them actually getting worse over time. Franks was a complete wreck by the time Mac was fired.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    damn, better switch to tiddly winks til year four.....Granted we are still in building mode and 2021 and beyond is looking really good. Still hoping we can get that uga monkey off our back in 2020.

18. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Complete fraud indeed.

In 1990 SOS predicted the UF QB would lead the SEC in passing and backed it up.

Butters predicted he could win with Clarabelle at QB and he got what he deserved. Asshat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    Mac was a coward through and through. My blood pressure really goes sky high when I think about the waste of my time when I watched him coaching UF. Him smiling with his butter teeth while walking off the field after the beatdown from UGA should be shown to the entire team next year before the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I co
    i could be wrong but I believe that may make him the only coach ever to start off with 3 successive 10 win campaigns...but I could be talking directly outta my ass

• Agree Agree x 1