Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bettor all-in on Tompa Brady

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Jan 29, 2021.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wish I had $2.3 million to gamble with...

Go Bucs!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I really like my Bucs, but wouldn't risk 2.3 dollars on them covering. Maybe some home town voodoo happens and the Bucs cover (or perhaps even win), but I feel there's value in KC -3.5. The defenses are pretty evenly matched. KC's offense is the most likely difference. Bucs D will have to have a very good game to cover and a huge game to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't bet $2.3 million on my Gators covering 3.5 against Vanderbilt.
    The loss would be harder to take than a shoe toss. o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I am not saying it was but there is a furniture guy here in Houston that makes bets like that.

He is offering free furniture to anyone that buys between now and the Super Bowl if the Bucs win.

He then hedges his bet.

Lately he does it every year for the Astros to win it all and has made some massive bets historically.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. g8torlenny

g8torlenny Freshman

Nov 10, 2016
    GameStop is a safer play here...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Imagine how much money you'd need to have to be comfortable wagering $2.3 million. I think if I was in that position, I'd have no interest in gambling...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Was alcohol involved?

• Like Like x 1
  9. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    And that's why you and I will never be in that position

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wish I knew how to spell ;)

11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    These people who have nothing better to do but bet millions of dollars while people on the street go hungry and homeless. Yet, that's what the news thinks is
    important.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    On the contrary, I think the fact I won't gamble away 2.3 million dollars makes it MORE likely I'll get there.

13. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I think it's more telling that the line didn't move after that bet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Wouldn't bet against mahomes and company..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    If I had that kind of money, I would just hand pick kids from school you can tell come from low income housing, games to. This guy may do things like that. Who knows. But seeing smiles would make me happier. Not putting anyone down. That's me dream.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So says ESPN:

The pick
    It wouldn't shock me if the Bucs won Sunday. They're stronger on both sides of the line of scrimmage than the Chiefs, whose tackles are the most obvious weak point for either team at any position. Brady and one of the best offenses in league history famously lost against the Giants in Super Bowl XLII because they weren't able to block four-man rushes all night. There's a chance that the Chiefs won't be able to hold off the Buccaneers' rush, and if Tampa can get pressure without needing to blitz, it can play safe coverage and take away most of the big plays that destroyed the Bucs during the regular season.

Last year, though, the Chiefs were facing a team with an even better front four and a dominant running game. I picked the 49ers because they could control the line of scrimmage, and for three quarters, I felt very smart. In the fourth quarter ... I did not. The pass rush tired, Mahomes took over and Jimmy Garoppolo wasn't able to keep up. Andy Reid outcoached the guy on the other sideline, and the Chiefs won.

The prediction is the least interesting and meaningful part of these sorts of previews, but like everybody else, I'd like to be right. To be right, I had to spend the entire Super Bowl LIV watching every single Chiefs snap counting on Mahomes to not do something magical. That was torturous. There's no fun in that, and I swore to myself that I wouldn't do it again if (or when) the Chiefs made it back to the Super Bowl.

Well, here we are. Before the season began, I went on SportsCenter with Scott Van Pelt and predicted that the Chiefs would beat the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl, 31-17. I think things will be a little closer than my preseason projection, but I'm not sitting through another Super Bowl expecting Mahomes to struggle. Brady getting back to a 10th Super Bowl is incredible, but this is Mahomes' era.
    Chiefs 31, Buccaneers 24.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Mattress Mack put $3.46 million on the Bucs through Draft Kings

Mattress Mack makes $3.46 million bet on the Bucs in Super Bowl 55

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Deep dive ESPN! So, taking the team with the best record, but wouldn't be shocked by a FG underdog winning? LOL.

I am prolly just getting old, but I am SOOOOOOO SIIIIIIIIICK of sports talk. It is the worst collection of nothing and Who Gives AF that could possibly be imagined. First off, who actually cares? Marshawn Lynch -- imagine how much we missed out on as a society because he wouldn't say those 20 non-things every week.

I'm going to revolutionize this analysis. Emmitto's keys to the game:

1. Let both QB's stand around in the pocket. They are used to getting pressured, and this will blow their minds. They are likely to throw more bad passes by worrying that the WR's are too open.
    2. Don't worry about third downs. There are three others, and they are also important. Especially the first two, although don't get too fixated on the first one. 10 yards on second down, meh, pretty much the same as 1st and 10. And if a team gets a first against you on third down, it could have happened on first or second -- good job!
    3. Don't sweat turnovers. Claiming you are NOT concerned is scientifically as effective as the opposite in actually producing/preventing these.
    4. Lose in the trenches. Where you want to win is behind the lines, where not as many players are. A lot of times if your guy is out in front of all others, he will get all the way to the other end of the field.
    5. Establish the punt, and settle for FG's. It is not handball, embrace the essence of the sport. Running the ball effectively gains like, 4.4 yards per play. Punting often gets 10x that. And if you just kick a FG the moment your kicker is in range, think about how many turnovers you will avoid, which is another reason you shouldn't even think about them anyway.
    6. Have more points at the end of the game. A lot of teams don't focus on this part. In fact, historically, a full 50% of all Super Bowl teams have neglected to nail this one down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1