Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Best way to watch without cable

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 20, 2018.

1. swoosh69

swoosh69 All American

May 15, 2007
    Be careful when purchasing Roku's if you stream over 5Ghz as not all of them can do 5Ghz. I know firsthand that Roku Express will not connect to a 5Ghz wifi signal, which is usually ideal for heavy streaming.

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    We paid the extra to have ad free on Hulu and either see no advertisements or can fast forward through them. There are just a few shows that force us to watch the ads but they are VERY few. Note that there are two levels of ad avoidance fees and you have to pay for both to really skip the ads.

When we cut the cord we went with the Amazon privacy invasion ecosystem so we have Fire TV on all the televisions. One the great things I love is being able to tell the Alexa system to fast forward or reverse by a certain time. It is a great way to watch sports events which are only being watched for entertainment. I do a binary search and decide whether to reverse or forward based on the score. One of the first DVRs I had was a ReplayTV which had this great feature.

I find Hulu really nice but find their idea of a victim interface very annoying, especially in regard to knowing what is going to be recorded. They use this MyStuff concept and there seems no way to see this in any order than their pimply faced coders decided it should be displayed. I realize I a dinosaur but I miss having a channel grid and a way to see some ordered list of things in the record queue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Any router that will do 5ghz should also do 2.4 so it’s not like they won’t work. Only reason to use 5ghz is that there’s usually less 5ghz congestion in the air (because most devices use 2.4 and most routers are 2.4 along with portable phones and all kinds of other electronics, there’s nothing wrong with it). You have to be much closer to the router with the 5ghz signal. It doesn’t really affect the speed. In my house the 5ghz signal is actually slower and it’s definitely more intermittent. Won’t reach from where my router is to my master bedroom, but 2.4 works great anywhere in the house and around the yard. We run everything on 2.4 even though I have the ability to run 5.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    I don't believe the information above in regard to the difference between 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz is totally correct. Based on this article which conforms with my understanding and measured performance the 5 Ghz provides far higher throughput than 2.4 Ghz. I believe it is correct than routers that support 5 Ghz support 2.4 Ghz.

From the article:

5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Your average streaming device needs less than 10mb to function correctly so being able to run up to 1300 is kind of irrelevant to this conversation. I only have 200mb service so the abilities above 600 are not important to me at all. I don’t know of any service available better than gigabit right now. (The few people I know with gigabit service top out around 5-600 anyway even when hardwired to the modem).

The main advantage to 5ghz, which your article even states, is that generally there is going to be less congestion in the air on that frequency. You’re also tied down much closer to the router.

For me, the 5ghz signal is way more of a headache( signal drops if I walk to the bathroom with my tablet). 2.4 just works and has much better range. It should not be a deal breaker for choosing a streaming device. Most people don’t even have a 5ghz router, lol.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    The big theoretical advantage to 5ghz would be that you could run almost everything in your house at 2.4, then just a couple more important devices like a streaming device or gaming computer at 5ghz. This should give them a less congested path and create a faster data transfer for these one or two devices. Real world experience for me has been that the 5ghz range sucks, and it wasn’t any faster even though I have a dozen plus devices using the 2.4 bandwidth.

Regardless of all that, it’s still kind of a silly argument to be having on this thread, lol.

7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree on this. They have created more of a grid for Live TV but only for current programs and the one that follows. Not a fan of the interface at first, but I am used to it now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So I think we will need a firestick or roku for our downstairs (older smart TV). My wife just got an Amazon echo as a gift. Does that do anything, or do we still need the firestick?

9. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Still need the firestick.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Question for all you using streaming services, what's the slowest (cheapest) internet option (speed) one should get to run these services without issues?
    I'm thinking if dropping tv from my frontier but don't want to lose broadcast quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    The devices we've used seem to operate best with speeds above 10mb. Dropping below 10, we started to see more buffering issues. When we were still using cable, our internet service was 50 up/down and normally tested below 20 down. Was sufficient usually for running our tablets and phones and one streaming device. During peak periods we would sometimes see buffering problems. When running a test, we were usually seeing 5-8mb during times where we had problems.

When we ditched cable and put streaming devices on all our tv's, we switched to a 200 up/down service. We normally test right around 100 down now (can get 170-180ish hardwired most of the time). We have pretty much zero issues running two streaming devices and all of our other gizmos at the same time. It is just two of us, and we do not have any heavy gaming loads though.

My boss has a wife and two kids, 4 tablets, 4 phones, 2 ps4's, and multiple streaming devices. Sometimes two streaming devices, both game systems, and multiple other devices running at the same time. The 200mb service caused a lot of issues for him (regularly tested under 100). He's upgraded to gigabit service (still only sees 500 or so normally, even hardwired, usually 300ish on wifi). He rarely has buffering problems anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    In NW Gainesville. I put a cheap Home Depot unamplified antenna in my attic and can get every broadcast channel in Gainesville clear as a bell. Occasionally it will pull in some channels from Tallahassee and Orlando, but I live near the top of a hill in a 2 story house. Additionally, those channels are in and out and pixillate a lot and I don't need them....but there is no telling what I would be able to get if I put the antenna outside on the roof.

• Like Like x 2
  13. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    Great thread. Related----- We're looking to get a new 65in TV to replace our 10 yr old 48 in. Last year, we found brightness was lacking in a lot of them. Any recommendations on good picture and streaming ease.
    Well, we are in the football off season... and real experiences do help.

14. charliecasey

charliecasey Sophomore

Feb 8, 2017
    Suggestions please. We live in a rural area approx. 20 miles west of Gainesville. No internet service available. Presently using AT&T unlimited wireless plan for internet (iPad Air) and phones (iPhones). TV is Direct TV. Hate AT&T (Direct TV). Would like to use amplified antenna for Tv service ( line of sight is good,home in open pasture on a hill). Would also like to be able to stream TV from phones and iPad Air to a smart TV. Is this possible (old fart but willing to learn). Thinking about going with Verizons high end unlimited service for phones, iPad and adding Hulu App to supplement the antenna. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I live just west of I-75 and NW 39th ave, at the bottom of a hill with tall, mature trees. With a digital antennae ($20 through Amazon) on the inside of an exterior wall I pull in PBS, My 11, local CBS, ABC, and a few Channel 9's but no NBC. I get Fox, ESPN's and SEC with direcTVnow. I'm going to experiment in the off season to find a better/cheaper way so that I'm ready for next fall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LakeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    The echo is just the input and an output from the Amazon Alexa ecosystem. It is a cute and powerful device on its own but without a firestick or roku it has no role in regard to television. The echo and firestick can be linked so that you can control the firestick from the echo. I believe the echo can also control the roku but don't know the details. If you are going with a firestick I suggest going with the newest, 4K, version. A big advantage is the remote has infrared output so you can control your television power and volume using the remote.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Ok, so we picked up a new LG 55" w the Hulu. I started the acct and am watching the game and the picture clarity is really bad. Is that a symptom of streaming? Do I need to adjust some settings? It's a 4k HDR TV and doesn't even look like high def. Gotta be a fix for this!

18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Indy/KC game? Game sucks so you’re not missing anything

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The best is LG55SK9000PUA. I has a terrific picture and sound, no sound bar needed as it has 4 10W speakers and 2 woofers. Regardless of model, you should use your tv remote menu to adjust the picture and sound to your liking. If you bought the 8000 series, return it if you can. The 9000 series has superior picture and sound.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My first thoughts would be the data stream, but I'm no expert. Are the other channels not coming through?

• Agree Agree x 1