Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Best way to watch without cable

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Oct 20, 2018.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    What's on Philo, I just saw it on my lineup but haven't used it yet.

2. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You talking about PlayStation Vue? Yeah, it’s supposed to do that. You select one college football game and add to your DVR, it lets you access All college football games on DVR after that. I actually like that. I just set it and forget it.

3. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is VERY important if you plan on watching a lot of sports with a streaming service. Playstation Vue is the only service with 60 fps across ALL of their channels.

Edit: Youtube TV now offers 60 fps across all channels as well.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tbtwnsnd

tbtwnsnd Premium Member

Philo has Discovery, A&E, Viacom and all those networks my wife watches. Having DVR on both YouTube & Philo we never miss anything. Picture quality is as good or better than cable. YouTube which has all the sports networks is 60 fps which is great for sports.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Sure that’s why you use a VPN. :emoji_cartwheel:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. swoosh69

swoosh69 All American

May 15, 2007
    When I was using Sling, I paid for their DVR service that had a data cap but it still would not record certain games. Youtube has unlimited DVR and at no extra cost, I believe. No external device needed for either, but I guess if you had an external device that could be scheduled, that would be a way around Sling's restrictions.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

I got a 50 inch LG Smart TV...Only about $450 last summer. Has Hulu App. I love it. DVR is cloud based. You can watch anywhere you can access your account. You recorded items are available on your phone/PC/tab etc. I moved our older TV to our bedroom and it has a ROKU stick. The Hulu app is on the Roku stick. A nice perk to Roku is all the additional apps. Watch ESPN included. You get more programming through the ESPN APP then their networks. On a very rare occasion, I have needed the app to watch a hoops ganme that was on SEC Alt or something like that. But generally they are all on the regular SEC?ESPN lineup.

In summary, the DVR is cloud based so you can access anywhere.
    Hulu is my choice, and LG's OS is very nice and has a lot of options.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tilly

Yep. Part of the technology. Gone are the days of skipping every ad. I do like that Hulu has the countdown clock on all commercials so you know how much time you have to get back.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tilly

You dont need that. Just use a AdBlock Plus and use firstrowsports or a similar site. Almost every MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA game is available online.
    OnHockey.TV for Hockey is awesome FWIW. I watch every Lightning game.
    Footballstream.TV for NFL. They will open new tabs on you even with an adblock, but once you learn to navigate they are pretty simple.

10. tilly

Hulu has this feature too. I love it. You pick your teams and that is it. It records them all from then on out.

11. garettk

garettk GC Legend

Oct 3, 2008
    And I noticed that if the game is on CBS, you can fast forward through many (if not all) commercials. ESPN, not so. All the more reason for CDM to kick it in gear so we can watch more 3:30 games lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tilly

Yep...Of course every game is on regular ol' YouTube for free, minutes after it ends these days anyway, so DVRing games is not as needed as it once was.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks again, Paul! :emoji_thumbsup:We are actually looking at an LG, because they come with the Hulu integrated. Sam's Club has a some nice deals on 55". I'll grab the Roku stick for our downstairs set. This has all been very helpful of you and the other posters in this thread! :emoji_dart:

• Like Like x 1
  14. tilly

My first flat screen years ago was LG. It is all that I buy. I bought a 42" LG 12 years ago. We still have it and and still looks great.
    Not sure you can beat them for the price. Check Walmart online. We got our 50" for almost $100 less than the same model at Best Buy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds awesome. I think I'm going to hit one up in the next couple weeks and get some data on how it works. I like Vue through the computer, but that Roku interface is killing me.

16. DivePlay

DivePlay GC Legend

Nov 14, 2009
    Fire Stick is greater than the Roku any day. No idea how that company is still in business.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I have Playstation Vue. If you DVR a program, you can skip the commercials. If you "On Demand" it (you can select something you didn't record and watch it) you have to watch the commercials. The On Demand stuff is usually for TV shows though, not football games.

18. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Legend

May 15, 2007
    I am using DTVN... would like to switch to YTTV but lack of Food Network / Discovery / etc is a problem. Adding Philo would cover, but two different TV services would fail the wife test. I tried Vue but our main media devices are Roku (I got annoyed with the Amazon/Google feud and ditched my fireTVs) and the app is confusing and stupid.

Ideally? SiliconDust premium TV would be the greatest ever if it had the channels we wanted.. streaming service + local DVR using HDHomeRun and Plex server.

19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    What's the difference?

20. paidinfull

paidinfull All American

Feb 22, 2017
    We have had good luck with our roku’s. We got a firestick in the white elephant game this year, but I just threw it in my go bag with my laptop for travel. Haven’t taken it out of the box yet.

They both pretty much do the same thing. Harder to run kodi (pirating app) on roku, but don’t se much difference other than that. My guess for why one would prefer one to the other is the user interface. You probably like the one you got used to.

I don’t care either way, we only bought the rokus because I got better deals on them.