Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Best way to cook Salmon?

Discussion in 'Swamp Cook Shack' started by defensewinschampionships, Mar 25, 2019.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I basically have always fried fish but Doc says I need some fish fat in my diet. How do you guys cook your salmon?
    Thoughts?
    Advice?

2. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Grilling is always my favorite way to go

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Cut into serving size steaks.

Cover with a mixture of kosher salt, pepper, and paprika.

Heat olive oil on skillet to medium high. 4 mins per side (more or less depending on thickness).

4. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    Sounds good. Lizard do you use seasonings before you grill?

5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

The best way to cook a good, skin-on piece of salmon is to just season it with a bit of Sea or Kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
    Put a large, nonstick skillet on medium-high.
    Place the salmon, skin side down, and don't touch it or move it for about 3 minutes for a room-temperature piece of fish., until the flesh turns from a translucent pink to an opaque white along the sides, and starts to creep up onto the top.
    Using a thin or "fish" spatula, turn it over, removve the pan from the heat, and let the residual heat from the pan cook your fish the rest of the way

The only time you want to remove the skin from salmon is if you're going to either poach or slow-roast your salmon.

NOTE: NEVER overcook salmon, or you'll sadly end up with expensive cat food... If you're unsure of doneness, do NOT pry it apart to check it... instead, insert either a cake tester or metal chopstick into the center, and touch it to your lips.. if it feels very warm, your fish is done.. if not, give it another minute or so.

Additional seasoning, such as Old Bay, Paprika, etc, are optional... but Salmon is such a flavorful fish on its own, all you probably need is a light squeeze of lemon after it's finished cooking

6. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    Thanks for the tip

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. WhattaGator

My pleasure! That's what this whole forum is for, after all!

8. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    So are you a chef by vocation or avocation?

9. WhattaGator

I've been a Certified Executive Chef since '78.,out of Cornell and the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY, now retired for the most part.
    There were a couple of threads (like the Favorite Recipes) in the Pub, but the powers that be & I came up with this subforum "Cook Shack" concept.
    There are some great contributions here from quite a few posters, and I take questions for recipes, cooking tips, etc.

10. My buddy in Seattle sent me a think Cedar plank that you use in your oven (not on a grill) and re-use it over and over again. they have them on Amazon for around $40. I buy my Salmon from Costco, $9 a pound without the skin. I use Salmon magic and a little olive oil. Pre-heat plank and oven to 350. add Salmon for 35 minutes and BAM!

11. WhattaGator

A Cedar plank is one decent way to go..... but, yoou have to know how to cook the salmon in the first place.

The planks are only really reusable for several times, then tha bottom of the plank gets too charred, and it will carry over into the Salmon.

Granted, there are quite a few ways to cook the fish... but you're best off dealong with the fish itself, rather than the nuances...

Pan-sear produces a crispy, very delicious skin. Grilling imparts the grilling medium flavor, as does the cedar plank.
    Broiling, slow-roasting, white wine poaching, etc. are simply various methods.

12. WhattaGator

Hence, the "slow-roasted" method.
    The cedar plank is used for that, but that cooking time also varies on the thickness of the fish... thin fish=overdone, while a too thick piece=raw middle.

That's why I suggest the skin-on, pan method, so those new at cooking salmon can actually see the progress of the cooking, not to mention, a good, crispy skin is delicious.

There is also a French style Brown butter and thyme pan-basting method, etc. etc.