Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Best SEC Teams in 2019 ??

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jan 11, 2019.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Most would agree
    Alabama
    Georgia
    Florida
    LSU
    are the top four SEC teams for 2019.
    As for the order
    Very debatable.
    Are the Gators good enough to beat Georgia ?
    Will we be good enough to challenge Bama ??
    How good will our O line be in 2019 ???
    Looks like we'll be solid in all other position groups.
    Hmmmm …

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Dearest Neanderthal:

I think we have a good chance against Georgia. But they're gonna have a new OC, right? That might make them better, or not. They lose some guys. We lose some guys. Yeah, our OL. Some quick development would be a good thing. Curious about Kentucky. I mean is their run done? Maybe the'll be a force. LSU seems to be trending up. We're in their house next year-that could be a tough one. Bammer...geeze.

My swim coach often talks about the challenges coaches face with different teams. He says when you have a championship team you have a set of problems. When you have a mediocre team, you have a set of problems and challenges too, they're just different.

How do you keep five star guys centered and team oriented? How do you coach up the 3 star guys to play like 5 star guys? Who wants it more? Teams get vulnerable.

So, yeah, IMHO, we could beat bammer...but do we have to play Clempson then?

Tough road out there.

Mullen has the ship on course though.

Go Gators.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Don't sleep on A&M.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    We are starting to see chinks in the armor with UGA. Not impressed with their new OC. Coley is an ace recruiter but a so-so play caller ...not exactly ideal for that program. They draw Auburn & TAM from the west, both of which will improve. And they host ND this year. It’s possible to see them going 9-3 and the noise starting to crank up in Athens. But it’s hard to look past the talent on the roster.

Stock-up with Auburn, TAM, MIZZ ...Stock-down - MSU, UK, Van, USCjr.
    Push - UF, UGA, Bama, UT.

This is how I see it as of today...
    Bama
    UGA
    UF
    TAM
    Auburn
    LSU
    MIZZ
    UK
    UT
    MSU
    O Miss
    Van
    USCjr
    Ark

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    Pensacola
    Auburn??

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Auburn is hard to figure out. They have such a helter-skelter history that they could be great one year and suck the next. But right now I'd move LSU and Missouri above Auburn in that order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Psycho Mod and Cook Shack Chef Moderator VIP Member

We're pretty much OK at all positions except the OL. (Yeah, it's great to see more skill position, LB's and D-line coming in as well as the new O-Line recruits coming in....

Coach Mullen is established now, with a huge group of returning players who already have the mindset that Mullen worked to instill in them last season...... SO, with that being said, all it's gonna take is Savage to strenghten the O-line up, then Hevesy and Mullen to coach and prep them up..

We should be fine by opening day.

GO GATORS!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Yup. Gus calling plays again is going to help and their schedule is more favorable this yea.

9. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015

IMO I’d bump South Carolina at least 2 spots. Schedule is brutal though..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Agator88

Agator88 All American

Oct 7, 2014
    They have UF and UGA from the east...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    USC has a murderers row for a schedule next season if I’m not mistaken. They can improve and still go 6-6

12. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Then I would say they didn’t improve.

13. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I can't argue with this and is probably the most accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if Florida and A&M both used their momentum to find themselves in the SECCG though. Florida has a better chance than A&M. Even if we were to drop 1 they have to play Florida, Mizzou, Auburn and A&M in 4 consecutive weeks. I don't see them surviving that.

14. nolancarey

nolancarey Senior

Aug 16, 2009
    Sure, if you only look at records without SoS involved.

15. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    Then what are we talking about? Because I think they’re a 5 win team and won’t win more than 2 in conference. If the rest of the conference kicks their ass then I’m not sure what your point is.

16. nolancarey

nolancarey Senior

Aug 16, 2009
    Because if SoS doesn't count, you have to do mental gymnastics to exclude mid-majors.

17. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Georgia plays Notre Dame and Ta&m at home next year. So really, us and those guys might be a challenge.

Just saw (off topic) Miami got a few new coaches-an OC. Hopefully they can't put it together quick enough for our game.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We could improve as a team and still not win more than 10 games. Who you play and how you play are factors beyond just record

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Not saying it isn’t possible but I find it virtually impossible to think of UF vs. TAMU in the SECCG.

Bama would have to have a disaster of a season and the SEC would be having a pretty rough season at the top of the rankings overall for that to happen. IMO TAMU and UF both have 2-3 losses by the end of the regular season, with TAMU having an additional loss from Clemson (won’t matter for SECCG unless there’s a 3+ team tie at the end). I just don’t know where Bama loses more than 1. LSU is at home for them, Auburn seems like their only loss. Maybe TAMU. They’d have to choke against all 3.

Florida has a better chance in the east but our schedule is nearly as hard as georgia’s murderers row and we don’t have the talent. Their OC/DC turnover and some talent lost is the only real way we have a chance h2h right now, but even then they return more starters than us and we’re very young this year and still won relatively easily. We talk all we want about how close we kept it until the end but they still well covered the somewhat large spread.

IMO these are the kind of thoughts that end up with a pissy fanbase at the end of next year so I try to be more realistic/pessimistic (depending on your views). We should not be upset with 3-4 losses next year unless they are absolute disasters, it’s a very tough schedule and we lose some key ballers on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    The OP inquired what the pecking order of the conference would be. That’s my list. I think USC is going to have a down year and the tough schedule plays into that.

Seems like mental gymnastics is trying to convince others that a 5 loss team is actually a 7 win team.