Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Best five players on the floor @ KY(rupp)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by bullish, Feb 27, 2021.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Appleby, Mann, Rustenov, Duruji and Castleton. When these five were defending the Cats, they were intimidated. They were watching us to see what we were doing instead of defending aggressively. Rustenov looks better each game. Hit a short jumper that was open, then next time down shot a three from beyond top of the key, just a hair short. He is also taller than Locke and a lot quicker, able to get open with the ball and score. Scottie is an exceptional defender, but even Jesus just looks down when one of his three ball attempts are in the air. I guess praying.

Omar looked lost tonight, Osyifo was fighting and defending but tried to do too much. Quez dribbling into tall players that are quick is not a great strategy. We seemed to force it inside even when all Kentucky’s players were already there. This is when the ball goes into the other teams hands. Our offense runs smoother when we weaving and keeping space between our players. Tre and Tyree can cover a lot of ground quick, not to mention Duruji! It makes the defense defend all over the half court and sweat. Of course when Cal was yelling and pulling out players, we had just beat them to the hoop and scored. I liked the previous mentioned five.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Ruzhentsev is improving and he looks like he's become part of the rotation, but he's not ready to take Noah Locke's minutes in any great number. I'm more excited about his prospects for next season.

I keep hoping things all come together for Scottie in time for postseason play. We could become a serious darkhorse threat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I thought Ruzhentsev defended very well in the 3-2 zone. He might not be the most fleet of foot when in man, but he understands angles and was great yesterday defending.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Once Samson gets acclimated to the speed of the game in the SEC he's going to be a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, I don't think foot speed is going to be an issue; he's plenty athletic, from what I've seen. Just needs to keep learning to play the game at high D1 level.

6. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It's not so much foot speed as much as it is quickness. Maybe that's the word I should have used.

7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not sure what all are seeing, but samson wouldn't be in my top 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Not until the rim gets bigger for him.

9. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    This is good stuff. I like the same lineup with either Locke or Rust in. Even put Lewis in that spot I’m good. Applebee, Mann, Duruji and Castleton lineup is one dude away from a tourney run. It’s fun to watch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    It's not all there yet, but it does feel like we're close. We have a lot of guys that can score in double digits. What worries me a lot is how many layups we've been giving up in the last few games. Once we switched to zone against UK, that issue appeared to be much less of an issue, so maybe that's something we might want to go to more. I'm not the coach but it seems like someone is always in the wrong place in D, or not giving help when needed.

• Like Like x 1