Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Best College towns

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorNavy, May 6, 2021.

1. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Columbia is a helluva town

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Go Gators

3. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Wonderful farming was high on list for picking UF

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Great post - really. But if you drive 2 hours west of Gainesville you’ll be working real hard to find a beach. But man did we have us some fun at Crescent and Daytona back in the day ....

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    There's a reason I came back 40 years after landing here. :alligator::alligator:

Edit: It was actually 30 years. My how time flies. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When I was in college there was a certain agricultural product from Micanopy that was pretty dang good. :cool::D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    A great reason why Ohio U is on that map. Jonathan Edwards “down in athens county”

8. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
  9. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Ah yes, those great college towns Seattle and Minneapolis.

Tempe falls into this category too even though it's technically a different city. ASU's campus is like 10 minutes from downtown Phoenix.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don't get them picking the large cities that would be no different whether or not a university is there. I've never been to Pullman, but I'll bet it's a better college town than freaking Seattle. And Cal Berkeley is nothing short of absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    I have been to Boone several times. Had a blast there. Lots of places to eat and drink. Attractive town and the stadium is beautiful. Much better experience than Chapel Hill or Raleigh.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Freshman

Aug 3, 2017
    Agree completely. I was on the faculty @ MSU (Bozeman) for awhile, live 50 miles from Missoula now (for 30 years) and go there several times a month (including today). MSU is larger (and better) than UM. Bozo is ~1/2 the size of Mtown; hence the effect is more of a college town. Bozo has the proximity to Yellowstone (the best Nat. park in the country), Big Sky (one of the best ski resorts), better fishing (The movie production of "A River Runs Through It" had to be moved from Mtown to Bozo because there were no places to shoot that didn't have houses on the Blackfoot near Mtown where the story took place. Incidently the ranch that was used for filming is for sale for 136 million). Bozo also has the best biathlon training center in the U.S., the busiest airport in Mt. and produced the current governor and a senator. Missoula has well, not much, proximity to the Bitteroot: good fishing and hunting and a fat, alcoholic mayor who thinks he is a dictator ,is running for a 5th term and charged the city for his rehab (claims it was due to work stress). Actually, UM is at best the 3rd best school in the state also behind Mt. Tech which is in Butte (not much of a college town). I'm sure this is more than most people want to know about Mt. I also lived near Columbia, SC. It didn't seem like much of a college town.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Austin was the ultimate college town for decades. It's recently grown too big to hold that distinction. I don't get the Tallahassee comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    What college town in California would you pick over Berkley? You could make an argument for Claremont but it's definitely not a college football town.

15. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    My sort-of stepsister lives in Bozeman, got her masters at MSU and is sending her daughter there in the fall to study film.

My dad and his girlfriend (sort-of stepsister's mom) spend two or three months out there a year at her ranch in Bozeman. We try to visit once or twice a year. I'm overdue for another trip to Yellowstone.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    yes the product was high on my list ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would say San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO) or, if you want partying, Chico (Chico State).

I lived in Berzerkely a couple years. Didn’t think of it as a college town. Same problem as other urban universities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    One of my brothers went to Montana State for BS and MS. He could walk from married student housing and deer hunt. Did his masters work in Yellowstone NP.

19. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I saw The Doors at a Cal Poly homecoming concert (my roommate’s sister was a student there). Always figured they had to have the world’s largest marching band to spell out the school’s official name—California State Polytechnic University at San Luis Obispo.
    Anyway, a great place, but probably too dominated by the wine, wedding, and tourist industries to be a great college town (and their teams in all sports suck)

• Like Like x 2
  20. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Took my daughter to Iowa City for an accepted student visit. Loved the town and the campus.

• Like Like x 1