Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Besides Henderson, any other players likely to sit out the OB?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It isn't all or nothing. The things I care about are national titles, CFP Berth, SEC titles, Division titles, and rivalry wins. All of which are off the table right now. If we were playing Miami in the OB I would care a lot more (since it is a rivalry).

And I'm still going to enjoy the OB. I still watch the Bucs play even though their season is over. But the joy I'll get from UF winning the OB will be far, far, far, far, lower than any other game played so far in 2019. And the pain I'll get if we lose the OB will be far far far far far lower than when we lost to LSU and UGA.

2. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Of course I never said that. I mentioned many other things that are meaningful besides national titles. NCs, playoff births, division titles, conf titles, rivalry games, etc.

Put it this way what you are doing is getting excited about finishing 2nd in an NFL division instead of 3rd, but either way you are missing the playoffs. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

3. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    All the legitimate arguments made for the importance of bowl games are based upon its impact on future seasons (not whether we finish 6th or 9th). In theory I agree. If a bowl win impacted recruiting, created better habits, led to a better ranking early the next year and led to future wins....then it would certainly have more meaning. Research has shown there really isn't season to season momentum in sports. Regardless that entire premise is based upon the fact that it isn't the bowl game itself that is important, what is important is its relationship towards winning the real goals (national titles, conference title, division title, rivalry games).

4. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    It is a crazy hill to die on given the long term narrative that bowl games have been losing their meaning and the obvious signs of players skipping them. But you do you and get that 2019 top 5 t-shirt. At least it'll be unique since only one team will have them (the top 4 will obviously have CFP shirts).