Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Besides Henderson, any other players likely to sit out the OB?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 8, 2019.

1. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    He's not promoting to the press. He's using the press to promote the UF to the public, particularly to recruits and boosters. Not just our recruits but recruits from our opponents. The press is free advertising and Mullen is really good at at selling the program.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Not sure that's why he does that. That would be kind of like telling the press they voted for us to convince them to vote for us. Sure he gets performance bonuses like any other coach, but, he's setting standards and speaking to whether they have been met or not. I see no issue with that.

3. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    You are being quite literal. Dan Mullen talks about it because he has an agenda (and rightfully so). That is no different than NFL teams that are out of the playoffs still talking up their games. Guess what? Those games are meaningless too.

I honestly don't know a Gator fan under the age of 50 that really cares if we are top 5 vs top 10 or top 10 vs top 15.

You don't get a trophy for that, you don't get recognition for that, you don't get anything for that.

Perhaps this is a new age sentiment (I'm not quite young, mid 30s) but certainly players are beginning to share this. Hence why you are beginning to see a lot of players sit out bowls. Players care about titles and rivalry games.

The cat is out of the bag. I don't see people going back to caring about non-CFP bowls

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    IMO the spring game is more important than this bowl game as the spring game has *some* influence on the upcoming season for which you are actually playing rivals and trying to win titles.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    CFP playoffs have replaced "Top 5".

6. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Congratulations on being young.

You don't see things because you don't look for them. I am at UF. I teach here, and I am surrounded by people under the age of 50, and we talk about hoping that this team loses so we can move up in the rankings all the time. All. The. Time. Come by some time and I will introduce you to some of these young (younger than you) people who are wise beyond their years.

Maybe if you got out and talked to real people, and didn't depend on computer models and playing video games for your information and social interaction, you would have met people who would rather their team be ranked 6th than 11th. Is that concept so hard to grasp?

I really am not trying to be ugly or obtuse, but I am befuddled. I am literally inundated with / surrounded by Gators of all ages, and I have just as literally never met anyone that doesn't care whether the Gator football team is ranked 6th or 11th.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    The rankings certainly matter to fans (including myself) during the year because they influence the CFP and they add hype to in season matchups. And they matter to the schools (and coaches) due to payouts. Higher the in season ranking = greater likelihood of achieving your goals.

I am enjoying your logical fallacies. Of course I'd rather the Gators be 6th vs 11th, even in post season rankings if all things are equal. But that doesn't mean that difference between them are of any real significance.

Go ahead and ask those students who seem to care so much about rankings if they can recall where the Gators finished over the last 5 years. I doubt you'd find a single one of them that can answer. Most of them probably won't even know last year.

This reminds me of the Tennessee Champions of Life garbage.

And if your students are truly wise beyond their years pass their resume along and perhaps I can hire them into the real world.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    I’m 35 and I care.

• Like Like x 5
  9. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Maybe to you, but finishing the season in the top 5 would still be huge to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Do they make shirts for this historic accomplishment?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Only at UCF

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    You're right. You've changed my mind. This season has be a complete and total failure because we're not in the CFP. The players should have just quit after the UGA because there's nothing else to play for. The rest of the games were meaningless. I'm not even going to watch the bowl game now. #FireMullenNow!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You're in some sort of fantasy world. I've got a student that I could put you in touch with that could tell you within 1-2 places the Gators' final rank for the last 15 years.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    This whole “sitting out the bowl game so I don’t get hurt” argument doesn’t hold water. Was there not a chance to get hurt against FSU? Is the bowl game more risky? Is his current workouts, weather with the team or not, without risk? What about the Miami game or fall practices, wasn’t there always a chance for a career ending or impacting injury?
    You practice, play and end the season as a team. Anything less is without a doubt selfish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Not alone by any means as many of us do care about final ranking. Many of us think about or say it’s not about how you start it’s how you finish and saying the last game of the year when it is one of the top bowl games is meaningless absolutely goes against what good coaches feel/teach. Anybody that has ever coached or played a competitive sport always cares about their last game. I’ve never, ever heard anyone even 13 year olds say “ Oh, it’s the last game no one cares about this“.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You are not talking to the gators that I am talking to and not just one or two but many do care and feel much differently than you do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This guy thinks everything is about a national championship and everything else is “meaningless”.

Juvenile

18. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I posted this on the recruiting forum concerning the importance of the upcoming Orange Bowl, but it seems to fit here too:
    They put on the uniform, keep score, and it goes on the final record. I disagree that bowl games are meaningless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. mcorsair15

mcorsair15 GC Legend

Sep 2, 2018
    depends on the coach And the type of bowl game. With Mullen we have a small sample size and it likely resulted in 1 more win and we are still playing in a New Years 6 bowl game with a national audience, so a huge bonus there. But the Birmingham bowl or taxslayer bowl, meh.

we beat Iowa in the outback bowl with Mcelwain and Appleby, then we go 4-7 the next year, didn’t launch us to anything great

Lost to Louisville one year after going 12-1, carried that into the next year along with a plethora of injuries and had another 4-7 season. The loss didn’t inspire anything positive or motivate us.

point is it Depends on the type of bowl game you have. If we’re looking for national attention, then these New Years 6 bowl games matter! If we’re just in a consolation prize game, not really drawing anything from it.

20. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, to you. Others, like me, disagree. A bowl game is a game as real as any other, and I say you bring your best. I'm sure there are always mitigating factors that could be drawn from nearly any scenario. But there's also always a reason for competitors to compete.

• Agree Agree x 1