Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Besides Henderson, any other players likely to sit out the OB?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 8, 2019.

1. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    All students, even football players, at the service academies take 3 semesters of calculus and all graduate with a BS no matter what their major. Just an FYI leading up to the big game this weekend. Go Navy!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Just as a reminder in all this, we closed the 1989 season in the Freedom Bowl in California vs Washington.
    Emmitt played the first series, then sat out the rest of the game. (Per my memory.)

So something like this has been going on for a while, but previously the player didn't announce it.
    He also did everything w/ the team, but Emmitt must have informed the coaches that he wouldn't play much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Anchors Aweigh

4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    There is no way our bowl is meaningless. If that's true, let's all just go ahead and stay home (fans, media, team, coaches, and band). First, they keep score and keep track of who wins and loses. It's the difference between ten wins and eleven wins. Further, it's a New Year's Six bowl game, a prestigious game that will be widely viewed. It also figures into the final rankings, a thing that everyone here and elsewhere seem to covet (as they should.) Recruits watch these bowl games, too, and, see the winning trophy in our trophy case during visits. All of that at least indirectly affects overall recruiting rankings, the other thing most here value. The playoff bowls have significantly greater meaning, that's a given. But, the Orange Bowl is not meaningless. If it is, why is anyone here even reading this thread?

But, okay, I'll agree that the Toney the Tiger Bowl and the Weedwacker Bowl are pretty meaningless. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    I think you should play. To me your saying hell with the team,my brothers, it's about me. I have your back until payday then heck with you all.
    Just me could not do that and look at my teammates. If that's the case sit out all year and train for draft

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Didn't Kelvin Taylor do something like that, too?

7. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    No, there are many non-engineering majors available. Even an english major graduates with a BS, because of all the science/math/engineering courses they are required to take.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Addressing these 2 guys, Walter Football (I don't know who this is or how accurate it is), has Jefferson as the #21 WR and projected to go round 3-5. Cleveland is #29 and projected round 4-6. Hammond isn't listed at all in the top 53. I think all 3 will probably higher on NFL team boards based Mullen spreading the ball around. Last season, I believe only 33 WRs were picked in the NFL draft.

There's really no reason for any of these 3 to even consider sitting. They can all get a bump from playing the bowl game and senior bowl games.

FWIW - Greenard is listed as the #5 DE/OLB and Perine is the #10 RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    We played Michigan in the Citrus Bowl at the close of the 2015 season. Taylor was a junior but he went pro. (Which was a bad move. I don't think he ever made a roster.)
    Taylor had 11 carries for 50 yards so he was in the game, technically.

But I'm not sure any of our players wanted to be in the Citrus Bowl. Maybe in Orlando, but not in this game.

So you are sort of right- Taylor and the entire roster checked out early.

10. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks. Must be thinking of another RB. I think it was a Birmingham bowl game.

11. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    We all know Adam Lane didn't skip that game. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    My level of care is similar to the Spring game.

Whether we win or lose has zero bearing on whether we beat our rivals, win the East, win the SEC, make the CFP, or win it all next year

In 2019 most people don’t care about top 5 finishes, bowl victories, etc. You fly a flag, beat a rival, or you don’t. It’s that simple

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Nobody covets final rankings. If you do then you are pretty much alone on that island.

People attend the spring game. Its entertainment and a vacation. Have fun. But the outcome of the game is still quite meaningless

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Now the spring game is meaningless because it's actually a scrimmage with bogus clock, penalty, and substitution management. I enjoy watching it, like I would a practice scrimmage. And, yes I do covet final rankings. For me, the most important measures are the SEC and National Championship titles, but, immediately next after that is the final ranking.

15. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What?!?!?! That is in play as the single most asinine statement I've ever read on this board. Got to be Top 10.

If no one cares about final ranking, why does Dan Mullen mention last year's final ranking about every third time he is interviewed? You are the one living on an island if you really believe this. Every Gator I know cares about final ranking - and I talk to plenty of them.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Maybe it has to do with the $100k bonus he gets if we finish in the Top 10...

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. DoctorGator

Apr 9, 2007
    What has that got to do with him mentioning it to the press? Does the press printing it increase his bonus?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. atlantagator86

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Sure they do. Top 5 is a huge thing! In reality, it may not matter much but it's a huge thing for public perception.

Especially for a coach like Mullen, who's rebuilding a program. After a 10 win season where we finished #6/#7, getting 11 wins and finishing in the top 5 is huge for momentum and huge for recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    He's promoting the program to the press. The Associated Press Poll, the most prominent ranking system, is determined by members of the press.

20. DoctorGator

Apr 9, 2007
    He's proud of our final ranking, as am I, and every other Gator I know. What is it with you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1