Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Besides Henderson, any other players likely to sit out the OB?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 8, 2019.

1. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    So your admitting that their 'degree' is a sham?

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Isn’t that public knowledge?

3. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    The guys who announce it often sign with agents, making them ineligible. Remaining with the team also means they're in their normal class and practice routine, so they're losing a month of combine prep. Being on the team means they're also not able to start spending money they haven't even earned yet (agents will frequently give advances on their first contract to pay for combine prep and other expenses). The effect of that last one may diminish once players can receive endorsement money while still in school.

4. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And that's why I'm starting to think Virginia has a shot at winning. With CJ not playing, we'll start a freshman in his spot, probably will have to inject Dean at that spot. Perkins is probably the most dangerous QB we've played all year because he can run and throw. He's their leading rusher in addition to the starting QB. He actually has almost 2x the rushing yards as our leading rusher. Depending on who else sits, the team chemistry starts to affect the team. It will affect the team. Imagine if all the projected draft receivers decide to sit. Trask has what, 2 receivers to throw to? It's something to take note of as we get closer to the game. CJ hurts but we can still pull out a win but it might be closer than we like. More sit and I see advantage Virginia because I looked at their roster and none of their guys are planning to sit out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Interesting comparison. INT's stand out. And, then there's Emory's snaps in the UF game, too.

6. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Probably all true, but, none of those particular arguments actually move the needle for me. If they don't announce and sign with an agent, they would be eligible. Can't agree with a "student athlete" dropping his classwork in the middle of the semester; that would kind of make his whole scholarship for the semester a bit of a sham, right? As far as missing prep for the combine, what better way to prepare for a life in football than to play and prepare for football? (I do understand there are other more specific preparations, too.) And, also, spending money before you get it is a bad financial life lesson.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

At least we have Elam to take CJ's slot....
    Trask still has his full contingent of recievers to throw to...None of them have said they're sitting...as a matter of fact, they're all playing in the Senior Bowl as well.

8. partdopy

partdopy All American

Feb 1, 2012
    Was I defending this? I'm confused

Idk if I'd straight up call it a sham, plenty of non employable degree paths out there. Education is supposed to teach you something. Whether it's useful or not isn't the point.

9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Elam is really advanced for his age. I have noticed quarterbacks throw away from him and throw more towards all of our other guys including CJ.

10. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    Elam is a freshman in name only at this point, especially with 15 more practices under his belt. Perkins is about a dangerous running threat that you will find and he is FAST! However, he's pretty average and prone to some really bad throws at times. Very streaky.

FWIW, UVAs secondary is even in more disarray with I think 4 of their top 5 DBs out with injury. If we can't exploit that, we don't deserve to win.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    But, Elam was already covering for Wilson, who was moved to the middle to cover for Dean. So, Elam can't really be filling for Henderson when he is already filling for the other corner. So, I guess what this effectively does is make us thinner at the positions in the middle of the field, where the VA QB is said to work more?

12. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If that's the case, then awesome!

13. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I’m guessing you would see Dean, Elam, and Kimbrough outside, Wilson in the slot. And we sure as heck better spy on their qb - I’d choose Burney if he is healthy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It is the players choice whether they sit out a CFP game, a regular meaningless bowl, or frankly the entire season (Bosa). They owe us, or even their school, nothing.

When someone says "so and so should do X" they are generally taking a guess at the calculus that a player is using in determining whether or not they should play. Only the biggest selfish pricks are saying "so and so should do X" for their own selfish reasons.

So what goes into the calculus for each player in determining whether to play? First off, it is totally individual but lets take a guess at some of the various factors

1. Meaning of game: Bowl game vs CFP
    2. Draft status, can they improve their stock or not?
    3. Injury status
    4. Likelihood of injury and risk aversion
    5. Happiness achieved by playing with his team one last time

For some players it may be 100% on one factor, for some players it may be a mixed of things. That is their choice.

We don't know the exact calculus for Henderson but we know the factors.

The Gators are in a meaningless bowl and he is projected to be a 1st round pick as things stand right now. He stands very little to gain by playing and a lot to personally lose.

There is no rational reason for him to play. Only emotional. Of course the emotional can be very powerful and is a totally legitimate reason to play.

I do find it funny how this can be a character question. Couldn't you also say a player that plays with absolutely nothing to gain (meaningless bowl, solid 1st round grade) as someone who makes questionable non rational decisions?

• Like Like x 5
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Miami has two defensive lineman that will sit out their Bowl game, including Garvin who declared for draft as a junior.

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Over-use of the word calculus - 3 times in one post - and calculus has nothing to do with the decision-making criteria for a football player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    I dont know... watching the video about the new football complex makes me wonder when we get a similar complex for our high performing actual students. Dont get me wrong, I love our sports teams and know football pays the bills... but not sure where I stand on paying pkayers when they already get a free four year degree (if they stay), free food, and coming soon an exclusive resort.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

ps. You also say “meaningless bowl” 3 times in your post. There’s no such thing as a meaningless bowl. This “meaningless bowl” could get us to 11 wins. Do you honestly think our game against Michigan was a meaningless bowl last season? That game got us to 10 wins and landed us a top 5 or 6 final ranking.

“Meaningless Bowl” is the dumbest thing I see written on this board.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Let's see now......

Meaningless Bowl.???...Talk to FSWho, and their "Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl".....

Meaningful Bowl???...The NY6 Orange Bowl, ...the only game on..in front orf a National audience, and right smack in the middle of prime recruiting area...

There's a big difference there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Calculus and football player shouldn’t be used in the same sentence

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1