Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Besides Henderson, any other players likely to sit out the OB?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by oneatatime, Dec 8, 2019.

1. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would guess Zuniga among the seniors ( 2nd round in a recent mock draft).

Would any juniors declare before the bowl game and if they did, would they also sit out?

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I hope no more sit out.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. EbSaxman

EbSaxman VIP Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I don’t see the point of sitting out. The team practices are a good way to prepare for the combines and especially against a weaker team like UVA you have more opportunities to showcase your talent. Guys get injured in drills all the time, sitting out isn’t a guarantee that you get to the combine without some kind of injury.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. chuckgator

chuckgator Sophomore

Nov 19, 2018
    Charleston, SC
    Respectfully disagree. These guys have worked their entire lives to get to a point where they can be drafted and for the vast majority, the signing bonus associated with being a high pick is going to not only completely change the trajectory of their lives, but also their family. It’s easy to sit back as a fan and say it’s selfish, but think about it through the players eyes and be thankful for them leaving it all on the field up until then (CJ!). If they were playing for a championship? Different story- but win or lose the OB, as much as it pains me to say it, isn’t going to effect their draft stock.

Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt would presumably both tend to agree.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Strenuously disagree.
    HUGE message to everyone that ITS ABOUT ME!
    Some of you are thinking well what if the player gets hurt. Sorry the average human without the same present and future entitlements as athletes can get in a car accident, blown away, or reach the final destination any minute of their life. Life is a gamble and if you cant give a final 30-60
    minutes in a bowl game, then
    ITS
    ABOUT
    ME!

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    That’s quite a harsh take imo. I loved that Chauncey played in the bowl game last year. But, it would have been understandable if he had chosen to sit out. At some point, even when you’re part of a team, one needs to evaluate what is best for them as an individual.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. chuckgator

chuckgator Sophomore

Nov 19, 2018
    Charleston, SC
    Yep. Let’s be honest with ourselves- the NFL is, first and foremost, a business. And the closer they get to finally getting paid (I’m in the camp that college players should be paid but that’s another thread), the more they have to lose.

I’d love for these guys to all want to play in every bowl game, but it’s completely reasonable for them to want to protect their most valuable asset in a game that doesn’t carry that much meaning for many players.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 GC Legend

Oct 6, 2019
    Zuniga will be standing out.....side the football field.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    To say continuously how you love and respect CDM and how you are grateful to Florida for the chance to play at this level and then sit out a game where you are very much needed: Selfish and Hypocritical.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My guess is that Peach Bowl performance directly earned Chauncey money.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Practices are more of a controlled environment. I'm sure he is getting a lot of advice from someone that influencing his decision. If someone could project to me I would make millions extra by not playing one game I would do it for my family.

Side note: I got you CJ. Thx for the memories.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. UFish

UFish GC Legend

Dec 14, 2010
    Several guys (Perine, Jefferson, Greenard, Hammond, and others) have already committed to playing one one of the senior all star games. I think it’s unlikely any of them would sit out a bowl game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

The $$$ argument and recognition that college ball is becoming more of a d-league for the pros is a reasonable justification for why a player may skip a bowl game.
    OTOH, I hate that college ball is less about representing your University and will continue to admire those who play in the bowl games. It shows respect, dedication and fellowship.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    “a game where you are very much needed” ?? Is this a joke? Look, dump on CJ if u must or if you just like. But, let’s not make stuff up to try and add substance to our opinions.
    1. It’s a bowl game that doesn’t involve the CFP. It’s a reward for our players and a chance for the team to get more reps and develop some younger players for next season.
    2. Regardless of who we play in that game, the end result will not be determined by the absence of CJ Henderson.
    3. Some of you just seem to love gambling with someone else’s future.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Disagree x 5
    • Winner x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  15. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I don't think it's any different than a coach saying how much he loves and respects his players, then abruptly accepting another head coaching job and departing a program. At the end of the day everyone has a right to do what's best for them and their families...if that means sitting out and protecting your #1 asset (your body), then so be it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Oh spare us your moral indignation and cognitive dissonance. If you watch CFB that's what you're doing in general. Boo hoo.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. persuader

persuader All American

Feb 2, 2015
    Florida
    Lmao......I was making a valid point and you know it. People just love to sit around and make a bunch of definitive statements about what player x should or shouldn’t do. Yet, we have no skin in the game. For anyone to say Henderson is being a hypocrite, or not loyal to his teammates, etc, is completely ridiculous. The young man is making a business decision, to sit out a game, that has a minimal impact on the future of Gators football. I certainly wouldn’t have my son risking his professional career on a relatively meaningless bowl. Frankly, I think it’s people who have never had or achieved jack shit that so carelessly espouse such disdain for another person protecting their opportunities.

Edit: I forgot to ask, where is the cognitive dissonance in my post you were referring to?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Disagree. Unless your a top 10 pick no reason to consider sitting and even then that’s a tough one.
    Not worried about CJ, although he sure could use the tape, but more worried about others that project later sitting. I believe honestly we will be good with Elam, Kimbrough, Dean, Hill, and Marco as CJ is the one teams like SC and FSU have picked on. If you notice Elam doesn’t get many balls thrown his way. Elam a 3 year kid that will be possibly one of our best. He’s that good.

#Tapehelps

• Like Like x 1
  19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    it’s a Bowl game that helps us to:

top 5-6 finish
    11 win season
    Opportunity for us to say we are officially back by winning 11

like I said I honestly don’t need him for this game but for him to immediately declare probably concerns a lot of us that it will make others think about not playing. Also interesting as his last couple games he definitely didn’t play his best so it’s just surprising that he would not want to go out on a great or high note.
    I know it may sound overly sentimental or not business related like you like to talk about but once you take that college uniform off you never get to put it back on again… Legacy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    FB_IMG_1546888241972.jpg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1