Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bernie Sanders is a Communist

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Bernie Sanders on Cuba in 1985: “Way back in, what was it, 1961, they invaded Cuba,” Sanders said, “and everybody was totally convinced that Castro was the worst guy in the world and all of the Cuban people were going to rise up in rebellion against Fidel Castro. They forgot that he educated their kids, gave their kids healthcare, totally transformed the society.”

Here's the Full 1985 Interview Where Bernie Sanders Praised Castro, Slammed Reagan, and More

Let's just say I find it interesting how Bernie talks about about Cuba as "some positive things happened... some negative things happened..." When he talks about Israel... the first thing that he mentions are generally human rights violations... When he talks about Cuba... the first thing he talks about are the allegedly good education and healthcare system... Speaks volumes...

He's also recently said that he opposes the economic policies of Cuba... I would love for him to clarify how...

He seems to think that the only reason the Cuban economy is in shambles is because of the US embargo and the human rights violations...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It's going to be a fun year. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    More like a scary year...

Seriously guys... Give Bloomberg or Biden the nomination for God's sake... They probably beat Trump anyways...

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Holy Cow, Bernie Sanders once said completely accurate things about Cuba almost 40 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    I think most democrats (especially the younger ones) see through Bloomberg and Biden's nonsense and at the end will nominate Bernie - for being authentic at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The Joe Rogan approach...

I disagree with it and think it's a mistake of epic proportions... but I respect it...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Over and under on how many times President Trump will call Bernie a communist on Twitter? I have 170.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Castro didn't "fix" Cuba's literacy...

Having a "great" healthcare system is something rooted in opinion... not fact...

He also voiced "excitement" over the Cuban Revolution... and sarcastically said "everybody was totally convinced that Castro was the worst guy in the world" as though he was this normal, perhaps even good leader...

We agree that Castro transformed the Cuban society... We probably disagree as to whether Cuba was better off for it... And frankly, the fact that the Cuban Revolution was bad for the Cuban people shouldn't even be a controversial opinion... Yet this is a question that Bernie either runs from or needs qualifiers...

You ask any Cuban who experienced the revolution and they can answer it in one word: "No."

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    He deserves every bit of it...

100% fair attack...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wgbgator

There's really no question that Cuba went from a functionally illiterate society (which was deliberate, they didn't want peasants to learn to read!) to one of near universal literacy under Castro. Those are just facts sorry.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Costa Rica did the same in that time frame...

And they didn't have to kill their political dissidents in the process...

Castro didn't cause that...

• Like Like x 1
  12. wgbgator

Uh, they had a civil war in which thousands of people died after a disputed election with reprisals against dissidents. Thanks to help of the US they helped violently suppress communists and leftists.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 1big_mfer

1big_mfer Premium Member

Dec 13, 2013
    If it’s so great in Cuba, why do people risk their lives on tiny rafts in shark filled waters to get out?

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Interesting...

So the Cuban Revolution was good for the people of Cuba?

• Like Like x 2
  16. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    The primary reasons were. The Bautista regime was taking land from hard-working Cuban farmers, sold out to American elites, and ended up with the mob of an entirely different country calling the shots. Once again, after the dust settled, any noble causes were corrupted by power.

18. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The US never had a problem with brutal dictators in Cuba. It only had a problem when Castro ran off Batista who was fully owned by US corporate and organized crime interests. I don't deny Castro repressed his rivals. However, given the horrors unleashed by US-backed groups in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and other Central/South American countries he may well have spared more Cuban blood than he took.

In 1959 the Cuban literacy rate was between 60-76%. The Cuban Literacy project raised that to 90%+ in one year. As of today, Cuba's adult literacy rate is 99%+, equivalent to the US and higher than most Central American countries. Cuban Literacy Campaign - Wikipedia

Despite being embargoed by the world's largest economy and the loss of their old Soviet patron, Cubans have a life expectancy equal to the US and infant mortality that better than some poorer US states. And by the way, they do it with a per-capita healthcare expenditure that's about 10% of what the US spends. Current health expenditure per capita (current US$) | Data

Uhh...the ones who you can talk to in the US were the ones who fled because they benefited from Batista's rule. Go ask Cubans who live in Cuba and you might get a much different answer.

It's not controversial as long as you don't bother to look at facts, context or history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Not true, but quite besides the point.

Being able to read means dick, when the government only permits you to read their own bullshit propaganda, first of all, and second, I have a doctorate degree, which I would piss on, if if meant being utterly impoverished, and a powerless peon slave of the State.

But pllleeeeeeaaasssseeeee do NOT take my word for it--I openly invite you to denounce your oppressive US citizenship, and take up residence in that Utopia 90 miles south of us...

I'll even put you in touch with some relies if you like--they can show you the ropes--tell you how to get things there (which literally means, how to get in touch with ppl. overseas, who haven't forgotten you, and may yet give half a shit about you, who have shit they're willing to send to you...).

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1