Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bernie rolling into the SC Primary - Who wins the Democrat nomination?

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Feb 20, 2020.

1. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Well last night seemed to change a lot of short term thinking on many of the candidates except Bernie who seems to be about in the same position. Bloomberg took some near knockout blows that first hour of the debate and seem to have not even prepared for what were some obvious questions he would get and then made the situation worse by his facial expressions and having no clue how to pivot from the situations. They can talk about how only so many people saw that debate but Warren's shredding of Bloomberg is all over social media.

The thinking seems to be Bloomberg was seriously wounded but possibly could recover due to his unlimited funds and that Biden though not a great debate is possibly viable again if he can get a decent finish in NV and win SC. At this point prior to SC my own view is Bernie is still in a really strong position and will be at least a 50/50 threat to win SC if he wins NV and that Biden has to win SC to remain viable. As far as Bloomberg he can't have another debate like that and he also can't have Biden winning SC if he wants to remain a true contender.

2. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I'm just wondering how many hours it will be before trumpers start claiming Bloomberg is being screwed by the DNC and the deep state.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    lol Nope we know just like the Dems its Bernie they are out to screw. The other candidates knew it also and that is why none of them would come out and say who got the most delegates from the voters should be the nominee when asked that end of debate question.

4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Bernie wins the nomination.

Down ballot disaster for Dems follows.

Trump gives Tom Perez the Congressional Medal of Freedom as reward.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Nah. They've looked at the polls and realized that they all had more ground to cover by attacking the 75% that aren't currently going Bernie. Only Bernie, Biden, and Buttigieg are competing for a certain segment of the Centrum Silver set, and that's why you really only saw Pete go after Sanders sometimes. Interestingly, 38yo Pete polls well with older voters.

It's not a clearly delineated binary in which it's Bernie and Elizabeth vs the rest. It's a lot of demographics that they are going for, and each state will present different challenges.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from the debate. Although Bloomberg didn't perform very well, it was his first debate. Some candidates who performed poorly in their first debates albeit in general election campaigns rather than primary campaigns include Obama in 2012, George W. Bush in 2000 and Ronald Reagan when he ran for reelection in 1984. Fortunately for Bloomberg he's not on the ballot in Nevada or South Carolina. Although it's taken a back seat to Bloomberg's poor performance and the animosity between Klobuchar and Buttigieg, the debate revealed a serious weakness on the part of Bernie Sanders, his vote against the 2007 Immigration Reform Act which would have protected "Dreamers" and would have provided a path to citizenship for other undocumented immigrants. If the bill, which was supported by then President George W. Bush, was enacted, Donald Trump wouldn't be holding the Dreamers as political hostages. The debate was also Biden's best performance and it could very well reduce the gap between him and Sanders in Nevada as well as cementing his lead in South Carolina which had been shrinking. Surprised that Bloomberg didn't try to counter the criticism of stop and frisk in NYC by mentioning Biden's and Sanders support of the 1994 crime bill which imposed long mandatory minimum sentences that disproportionately affected minority defendants convicted of nonviolent drug crimes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Under the rules it's the candidate who receives a majority of the delegate votes, not the one who receives the most votes who becomes the party's nominee. Somewhat interesting how the Bern has done a 180 on the issue from his position of four years ago when it was possible that Hillary Clinton could end up with a plurality short of an outright majority.

8. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    Of course there will be self interest but the Dems better think hard here because if Bernie is clearly the leader going in the riots and damage this would cause will put their chances at near zero.

9. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    You might want to catch up. The only reason Bloomberg was where he was going into the debate last night is BECAUSE the Dem establishment was propping him up. He is/was the only real threat to Bernie.

10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Bernie was accused of not releasing his medical records. He seemed to say he did release them, but he talks so fast I have trouble following what he's saying. Plus I'm distracted by his constant pointing at whatever or whoever he's pointing at. If he hasn't and won't release his medical records, with his recent heart attack that should be a big red flag.

11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  12. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Warren doesn't have a chance,.but man, Id love to see her debate Trump. She'd eat him alive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Bernie released some letters from his doctors. Not sure whether that constitutes release of medical records considering the following from another candidate's doctor although in all honesty Bernie's letters from his doctors are probably much more credible as far as they go. Still not complete records though.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In one picture this cartoon says it all. Not supporting either of them, but I would much rather see her as the Democratic nominee than Bernie Sanders.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

Surely you noticed that Trump's "doctor" was played by Willie Nelson.

16. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    He would destroy her just like on social media. He isn't Bloomberg and knows how to fight in situations like that.

17. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Possibly. I hope MB gets the nomination over BS but there's still a ways to go.

18. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lol... Trump lost every debate to Hillary... I remembering Trump wondering around the stage like he was lost, and I swear, at one point I thought Trump was going to cry. Warren would destroy him.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    That pointing really turns me off. There’s a reason the man is not well liked by his colleagues and hasn’t accomplished a damn thing in the Senate. I wish we were more progressive as a country, but he is NOT the man to lead a movement the country’s not ready for anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015

This reminds me of an old quote. I am a member of no organized party. I am a Democrat. In my memory it was said by Will Rogers but my memory ain't worth much.

• Funny Funny x 1