Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Beer you are drinking right now- II

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by g8orbill, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's been a while for this thread. :emoji_spy:
    Many of y'all have mentioned Lagunitas, so I picked this up today.
    [​IMG]
    Gettin' ready to crack one and will report in after. :emoji_ok_hand:

4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    It's still August around here so...

[​IMG]

5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

In this very interesting history of some beers, is a little known one we used to drink called "Maximus Super".

We had the saying in the 70's "Maximus Super for Maximum Stupor", as it had the highest alcohol percentage in the country at the time, at 7.5%

Check that, as well as some other historic beers.

East Coast Brewing: The Fire Never Died - All About Beer

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    When I was in college here, I lived off Hawthorne Road, so champale and 40's were a blessing for a financially challenged young college student :emoji_innocent:

7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The Little Sumpin' is a good summer ale. Hoppy, but not too bitter. Distinct notes of orange peel.

8. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I dropped off this site a few years ago to take care of some personal problems (no I was not in the slammer). I am back now and will add to the mix here every now and then.

Recently I visited my old hometown of Jacksonville. I enjoyed the local beer scene. I went to the Bold City Tap Room and the Intuition Ale Works. I enjoyed their beer very much.

On the local scene up here in Atlanta I recently visited the Scofflaw Brewery near Midtown Atlanta. For only being in business of couple of years this brewery already has a great reputation for producing some kick ass (high alcohol content) and high quality beer. I currently like their Basement and Double Jeopardy.

I will post more about the beer scene up here in the Atlanta Metro area.
    upload_2018-8-18_12-0-32.png

• Like Like x 3
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Welcome back and I hope you got all your siteeations straight. :emoji_ok_hand:

• Like Like x 1
  10. northgagator

A few months ago there was an announcement in the a local news paper about a new brewery coming to Lawrenceville Ga.
    This will be the second brewery to be opened in Lawrenceville. The first one is Slow Pour (more info on that one in future post).
    Hopefully a lot of craft beer fans (including Gators in metro Atlanta) will like this new brewery. Beer Republic is the parent company for Big Kettle Brewery and IronShield Beer. Big Kettle will do contract services for other craft brewers in the southeast USA. Ironshield will be the house beer. The opening is scheduled for late this year.
    Beer Republic will be converting an existing 56,000 sq ft warehouse into a brewery, taproom, and retail shop. I will do a review of this place late this year or early next year.

Beer Republic announces plans to open brewery in downtown Lawrenceville

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Had dinner tonight with my freshman year girlfriend at UF ('76-'77) visiting Chicago from Tokyo. She had a War Pigs Foggy Geezer Hazy IPA. War Pigs is a join venture between Three Floyds and Danish craft brewer Mikkeller, operating here in Chicago for about a year. She gave it a big thumbs up. (I'm still on the wagon)

• Like Like x 2
  12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    War Pigs---Geezer--? They must be Black Sabbath fans.

13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Did you enjoy any of the New Glarus offerings when you were in WI? People really love their Spotted Cow. I like it, but am not as enamored as others. Like their Moon Man, it's quite citrisy.

14. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    No, had to go old school:

[​IMG]

And for volume:

[​IMG]

When in Rome...

• Like Like x 1
  15. northgagator

Last night I ventured into the Sandy Springs (North Atlanta Metro area) and attended a Gator TV viewing party (courtesy of the Atlanta Gator Club) at the Pontoon Brewery. The Sandy Springs chapter of the Atlanta Gator Club had a very strong turn out for the game. There must of been 30 or so Gator fans. Almost all dressed in orange and or blue. It has been a few year since I last hung out with a group of gator fans. Thus for me it felt like a family reunion or a home coming. I quickly made some new friends and shared the excitement of watching UF beat Mississippi State.

Now for the review: The Pontoon Brewery is only ten months old but the crew here really has their act together when it comes to their venue, hospitality, and especially their brewing expertise.

The positive points:
    • The tap room is large enough to easily accommodate a hundred customers.
    • The bar is plenty big enough to pull up bar stool or come up and place an order.
    • The staff is knowledgeable and very friendly.
    • The beer selection has at least ten beers (all brewed by Pontoon) on tap and they range from IPA's, Stouts, Porters, Sours, and Ales.
    • The quality of the beer is exceptional considering that Pontoon's brewing history is less than a year old.
    • The prices are very reasonable and affordable.
    • The servers use very user friendly Point of Sales devices that makes ordering and paying real painless.
    • There are several large screen TV's to view sports (or whatever).
    • They even have a large projection TV screen. The size and the clarity really has you feeling that you have a side line ticket at the game.
    • There are lots of tables and chairs to sit down, have a beer, eat, socialize, party, and play board games.
    • For the non football fans their are plenty of board games that offer a lot of fun and entertainment.
    Last night I drank two of their beers.
    • Two rounds of their Pecan Pie Paradise (a vanilla Porter). When I first saw the name I was thinking that it was one of those sweet dessert beers. The server offered me a taste and I was real surprised that it was a mild but at the same time a vary favorable porter. It had just the right amount of vanilla, cinnamon, milk sugar, and muscavado brown sugar that left you wanting more.
    • One round of their Galaxy Drifter (American IPA). This IPA is made with tropical fruit and citrus notes. The beer has a crisp taste and is a light-bodied brew. I would of had more but I was getting ready to hit the road and drive home.
    The bad points:
    • The brewery does not have a kitchen to be classify as a restaurant or bar and grill. However, they do sell some nice snack food and a food truck is occasionally there. Last night the food truck was selling lobster rolls (they were very tasty).
    • If you haven't been to Pontoon, then you are missing a good time.

Welcome Aboard

• Like Like x 1
  16. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Just a good OLD Yuengling. :D