Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Been watching government for a long time...

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by intimigator1, Jan 31, 2020.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    To the OP, as I have posted MANY times, this is ALL on us, not on a particular POTUS or party. Trump is a symptom, not an affliction. You want a nice and convenient thing to blame. In other words you want a scapegoat. You are in fine company...on all sides.

Is The American Dream/Way coming to an end? It feels like it, for no other reason than this group of sheeple are being bred for embracing idiocy (actually infantilism) rather than waking up and smelling the coffee. Let's use the original Tea Party incarnation as an example. I have read here that the movement began before we actually saw it in action but what I am talking about is the movement that started right after Obamacare was passed. There was a HUGE group of traditional, mainstream Americans who recognized the Federal government was going where it was not designed to go. And so the demonstrations that reflected Middle Americans and not academician snowflakes, disenfranchised minorities, tree-huggers, unionists, or alt-right skinhead types. They wanted their government and fellow countrymen to wake up.

What happened next is best described (although not entirely) as a "movement hijack." A bunch of ambitious, probably well connected (financially speaking) persons decided to "lead" the movement. And those middle Americans saw these "leaders" as nothing more than more-of-the-same. And so they went back and did what they were used to doing, which is nothing substantive. As an aside, I was one of the persons who got to vote Eric Cantor out of office. It got a LOT of press. And what exactly happened as a result? The easiest answer is....we have Nancy Pelosi 2.0. In other words, NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

But to the real point, if what you and I see is wrong, we make "efforts" to make things correct, and after we find out the efforts only lead to the status quo we go back to doing nothing, isn't that an indictment on our skills?

I was, and still am, a Never Trumper and not for what you want to embrace. What you want to demonize is somewhat valid but you are really missing the salient point: we wanted a white knight to go in and clean up the mess that WE made. And what that means is we wanted (read voted) for a strong POTUS and not the limited one the US Constitution defined. There are some things he can and probably will get a chance to accomplish that are noble (necessary?) but once we decide the only viable vehicle we have at our disposal is to vote in strong POTUS candidates rather than the traditional ones, the truly malevolent ones WILL manifest. And again, they will manifest because of US.

You want to put a face on this mess and Trump is as good a "demon" as there is for "your side". Just let me say if you do not recognize the real demon in all this - US - then what you are doing is being righteous and ignorant.

And like I said, you are in fine company...on all sides.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. coleg

coleg All American

Sep 5, 2011

3. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Excellent post and couldn't agree more. This is why democracy and a republic will die.

• Like Like x 1
  4. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Confirmed!!! BACK TO WORK making America Golf Again! MAGA!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Sadly, I'm very afraid it may come to this just by judging a few posts I've seen from La Resistance here and after what happened to Scalise. I really, really hope I am wrong.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    He’s not disingenuous at all. There is a legal way to get the house to get those witnesses to testify. They chose not to do that. Their stated reason for doing so was that it would take too long because of the seriousness of his so called crimes. I don’t buy that for 1 second. They didn’t want to go to court because they knew that would get laughed out of court. They had no evidence. Period!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. coleg

coleg All American

Sep 5, 2011
    DOJ released the info Fri. night ( how timely) that they have a couple dozen emails from WH, including ImPotus concerning withholding Ukraine aid. Looks like Barr will be firing some people soon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    So you claim quid pro quo is not an impeachable offense and claim that if the Senate acquits him, it proves you're right. That's actually wrong on a lot of levels.
    1. The fact that he is acquitted does not mean the offense is not chargeable. Otherwise, the fact that OJ Simpson was acquitted would mean murder is not a chargeable offense.
    2. The fact that the majority of the Senate is Republican is not the determining factor on whether a crime is impeachable.
    3. Clinton was acquitted by the Senate. Do you believe that proves perjury is not an impeachable offense?
    4. Finally, and most importantly, Trump has been impeached. What the Senate does does not change that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Why would be fire people?

10. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    The precedent was 9-0 in the most important Nixon case. It's precedent. It's established. Hiding behind the courts for over a year when the election is less than a year away and the need for expediency is because the election may be compromised necessitates skipping the meritless appeals of those who clearly wish to stall the process.

When someone is actively trying to burn down your house, you don't call the regional office of municipal budgeting to be redirected to the local utility acquisitions office--you call 911.

Unfortunately, sometimes the arsonist wins anyway.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    The precedent for Nixon is someone's right to a fair judicial/criminal trial process overcomes that privilege and has no relation to this hoax whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. coleg

coleg All American

Sep 5, 2011
    Per
    Perhaps for the same reasons that he did not appoint a special prosecutor for the investigation as had been done with Clinton. Provide cover for ImPotus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Wow, you said “shit” w/o any substance so you must really be in the know.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    trump followers are such hypocrites. Can you imagine if Obama did this? Btw it’s no coincidence they also deny science and don’t value higher education.

“ A newly empowered Presidency - But what's absolutely clear from this impeachment is that the presidency has risen far above the other branches of government, freeing the occupant of the White House from the system of checks and balances designed to constrain him.“

“If you don't think Bernie Sanders, were he elected, would use executive authority seized by Trump, you should give it some thought. Also read this story about his campaign assembling a list of things he could do via executive action -- just as Trump did in his first 100 days back in 2017.“

CNN - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Please, tell me how you came to the wording and conclusion you chose to employ? Also, you still have no idea what "hoax" means. I would direct you to a dictionary, but if your understanding of "hoax" is so incorrect I can only imagine what you might think a "dictionary" is.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    That is what the SC said on Nixon basically. These joke hoaxes were malicious deceptions by the deep state and the Dems. They will lie to courts for illegal warrants they are so crooked and hate Trump so bad.

18. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    What? What??? It's like I asked you penguins and you start talking about parkour. What?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    I appreciate your thoughts. I read them with interest. A brief response:
    1. I know of no one who wasn’t repulsed by Clinton’s affair with Lewinsky. He was ultimately impeached for lying. This was after what has NOT occurred in the Trump case: a thorough and expensive investigation by independent counsel followed by a trial with witnesses. He was not removed from office. Frankly, I don’t care if Trump is, but he should stand trial with witnesses he has so far prevented from testifying.
    2. Your comments about Obama are ludicrous. He committed no act which came close to being impeachable, nor did he disgrace the office with tweets, kowtowing to the Russians, and general low class comportment. Had he, McConnell would have come after him with a vengeance.
    3. Finally, and with respect to Obama, what do you think “make America great again” was about? It was clearly primarily about color. It was an appeal to that swath of the populace who couldn’t stand a man of color, or a woman, as POTUS. It was an appeal to the worst in us.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  20. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Getting a little dramatic here, aren’t we? The Nixon case involved two ACTUAL crimes. This does not. In the Nixon case we had intelligent people running the House. Now we have Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler, Lofgren, Demmings and the rest.

In every company that I have EVER worked for something that might, possibly, almost be wrong this would not get a termination. It would not get a suspension. It would not get a written reprimand. It would not even get an informal verbal warning. If anything, it would get a “Hey, don’t do that again. If the company was looking to find a reason to terminate, they would not be able to rely on this.

Which brings us to where we are now. The Democrats want NOTHING more than to remove Trump. They know they have little to no way that they will beat him in November with any of their candidates.

So they blow up a parking ticket into a reckless driving charge for going 160 on an interstate and then try to charge the driver with attempted murder because someone might have possibly been killed if the car had crashed.

The House mangers are now in the essteemed company of several Florida prosecutors like the one who over charged Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman. They overcharged what they had evidence to prove.

Face it guys. The House bungled this from the beginning. After Mueller and every other investigation and allegation failed they should have know that they no longer had any credibility left other than with the hard core left wing of their party.

And then, on top of all of that, they run a sloppy, shoddy prosecution with no evidence and a lot of supposition, rumor, and innuendo.

Generally speaking, it’s not a good idea to let your 5 year old make dinner. It’s not a good idea to let your 8 year old play tackle football with 12 year olds. It’s not a good idea to let your teenager manage the family finances. It’s not a great idea to let your college student decide whether you should buy them a Camry or a Mercedes 500.

Now we also know that it is not a good idea to put Nadler and Schiff in front of cameras or in charge of anything.

On a side note, I have dealt with Val Demmings on a local level, dealt with her husband Jerry as well. She has always been courteous and professional. She would do herself well to get as far away from this Crash of the Titanic as she possibly can as fast as she possibly can.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1