Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Beard to Texas

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by your_perfect_enemy, Apr 1, 2021.

1. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Sources: Longhorns hiring Red Raiders' Beard

In one of the least surprising coaching decisions.

I'm a little confused why this job keeps getting listed as "one of the best jobs in the country" They've been to 1 final four in the last 70 years. Not saying it's a bad job but that's quite an overstatement

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I said this in another thread but he'll kill it there.

I don't see it as being a top job in the country but its up there pretty high. Assuming they're willing to invest in basketball, they have a lot of money. They must be paying him well because I believe he was already one of the highest paid coaches in the country. Austin sounds like a great place to live. The right coach there should be able to do big things. Clearly that hasn't happened in the past though - and that should say something I suppose.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Texas is not a blue blood so that move is fair

4. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Senior

Oct 17, 2011
    Beard is a UT grad. Beard was making more at Tech than Sark is at UT. Should be fun.

5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Barnes put up good "Wins" numbers at Texas, heck he had Durant ,but their post season success was not real impressive. Trend seems to be playing out in Knoxville as well.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    They used to have a lot of money.

UT is a land grant school and there was oil on the land grant.

Oil being hit hard means they have a lot less money than it was before.

Maybe the weather this spring helps them a bit.

7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007

Barnes has long been considered a guy who will "do less with more".

8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I read the other day that they have over 2000 alumni with net worth north of 30 million.
    They gots da money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    But it is Texas. Football is all that matters. My MIL grew up in Texas and she says that high school football "Friday Nights" is a form of child sacrifice.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    oh I agree, just saying all it would take would be less than one percent of those ultra high worth folks to care and they would be fully funded. A good AD could find that small number among that population you would think.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Not enough money. Do the math. A small fraction giving up 1% of their worth isn't enough.

And you need the guys that can buy the players.

Then you are in Blue Blood country and that takes years of connections.

12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    if it’s one percent sure, and if you aren’t talking about the higher end among that cohort, again sure. But some give many many times that. T Boone gave 400 million to OSU over time and died with 950 million. A good AD can appeal to the ego of some of these guys, permanent fame, name on stadium for forever, single handedly responsible for their success etc. It only takes a few. Just as an example, if one percent of them gave a million each, 20 million could basically buy a new practice facility and the first year or two of contract, or the entire length of the contract for the difference over whatever they were paying Shaka. The money is there.

13. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He’s a Texas guy so not a shock. He won’t get a warm welcome in Lubbock that’s for sure.

14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

You are correct the revenue from University Lands won’t be as high in 2020 BUT remember they get a royalty. A royalty works as a percent of the total sale. The operator gets the net royalty interest minus operating costs and taxes. So price drops hurt royalty owners BUT they don’t have relatively fixed OPEX like the operator. So let’s say oil averaged $50/bbl in 2019 and $40/bbl in 2020, UT’s cut would fall by about $2.00/bbl (20%ish of the total revenue, could be as low as 3/16ths or as high as 1/4th depending on the deal).

The only way UT was hurt that badly was if production fell off a cliff. In that case, their royalty would take a major hit. There were some shut ins but in general their real problem is a lack of new drilling in 2020 meaning declining royalties in the coming years as new drills are required to offset the declining production. But again, much of the University Land is in the Permian and that area saw the least declines of any basin in America.

Regardless, they have one of the largest endowments in America and have MANY wealthy alumni and have one of the top 3-4 athletic revenues in the country. They have the cash.

That said... Basketball never has been a thing. Maybe Beard can change it. They have underachieved for a long time. Maybe this one will be different.