Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

BB Practice Report 10/23

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Oct 23, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Not a bad afternoon for a Gator Fan
    Stopped in at the O'Dome around 2:20 pm today watched WBK Cam Newbauer put the young women through drills for an hour or so then mosied over to the Mac to watch 7 innings of the 10 inning scrimmage on the way in and out I lingered watching a very amped up football team go through their practice until the security folks frowned.

I missed the first 3 innings of the practice so I didn't try to keep score, they played 10 innings to a 5 - 5 tie in a mist that just enough to be annoying.

There were only a few ground balls, one resulted in a DP (Reese looked good on that play then botched another potential dp), Pena played a hard grounder at 3rd then hurried his throw and it went wide, the next inning Acton knocked one down, scrambled and made a perfect throw to get the runner at first.

Brady Smith had a rough patch, over threw second on a stealing runner next pitch got under hom and the runner made third with no throw

I'd say the best hit was Nellies 2 run shot (a real no doubter to center in the last inning)

Miozzi caught and played some in right as did Greenfield

Young got a pretty hard hit single then got caught in a run down trying to steat second (all in about minute and a half)

Young made a nice diving catch of a blooper in center, made some other catches most routine

The pitchers I saw throw
    Pogue had a rough first inning, Sully had a chat with him between innings I believe he retired the side 3 up 3 down the next inning
    Mace
    Scott
    Alintoff (looked better today)
    Armstrong
    Hemenway
    Garcia consistently high in the zone

nobody looked partticularly good or bad I think the hits ended up 11 Orange 9 Blue

These folks seemed pretty dialed in, ie hitting the ball on the nose,
    Nellie
    Acton
    Butler
    Brady Smith nice double and a sharp single
    Howard connect fairly well one for a double
    McConnell hit better today
    Baker hit a near perfect sac fly with a runner on third, deep enough for the runner to walk home
    Greenfiekld looked good but I think only got 1 base hit
    Pena hit a 2 run dinger not as far as Nellies but still a no doubter
    Calilao hit a HR off Armstrong

Flint his one really well for a double and was ok on his other ABs
    Young hit a ground rule double that was hit as hard as Nellie's home run just a different launch point

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    great stuff jj

where was Calilao defensively?

• Like Like x 1
  3. denyken12

denyken12 Sophomore

Aug 31, 2018
    How did the Women's BB team look? Who look good to you?

4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I don't have anything in my notes but I think he was at 1st at least some of the time
    I hope to get back tomorrow prior to the WBK fan day at 4:30, parking is restricted until 3:30 and the scrimmage starts at 2:45, I was pushing it today to get to WBK at 2:30, if I can I'll hang at the Mac till 4:30/4:45 then go to the WBK event. I watched yesterday's wbk practice for about 2.5 hrs, Cam told me the other day to come when I can and to feel free to bring friends, he is all aboiut building the program

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I only saw an hour today but yesterday I was there for almost the full practice. Cam has recruited some good shooters, the trick now is building the chemistry, convincing them to play defense aggressively and to communicate effectively on the floor with and without the ball.
    Only 4 return from last years team and one of them is a transfer, Zada Williams a 6' 2" 4 who had to sit out, she practiced so she has a rappost with the other returners, Funda the 3 point ace I think has the best/highest BB IQ, she has played abroad and has a good feel for the game, also returning is Delicia Washington she can be erratic but is effective as a point and a good rebounder for her size, if she plays more under control she will be an asset, last year it was a very mixed bag, the other returner Stephanie Brower played some last year, good shooter. works hard has a good upside. Of the newcomers I like G Kiara Smith, rough edges but decent shooter and seems to take coaching pretty well, F Kristina Moore, frosh, is getting better every practice, they all need to be better on D, Paige Robinson is a Jr F, listed at 6 3 tallest eligible player Emer Nichols is 6 5 but as a transfer has to sit out this season.

I know every coach in every sport is frustrated at practice, Cam is no exception, he is teaching, prodding, admonishing and praising every second, he knows they have a long way to go but that he has more talent as shooters this year but it is yet to see if we can replace the rebounds that graduated Hersler and Lorenzen. The conference top to bottom is probably improved, I don't have high hopes that we will finish in the top half of the conference but last year we lost most games we were in (and we got blown out a few times) in the last 5 or 6 minutes, I think the horses are there that we did not have last year so it is just a matter of how soon they develop and learn the system and how well they defend and rebound by the time we get to conference, Cam is a stickler for detail but his philosophy is something like 3 is more than 2 shoot the damn ball.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Everything’s been reading like Acton has consistently been solid at third and with his AB’s—that is good news for sure—

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    What is the Men's schedule for tomorrow (Thursday)?

I think that I can watch some after 4:00 if they are doing something interesting.

8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    To Center at the Mac?

Flyballs go to DIE there.

He must have gotten ALL of that ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    He got it all and has been solid in the box, Acton is as advertised at 3rd and as a batter

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Not a bad day. Watching 3 gator teams at play!

• Agree Agree x 1