Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

BB On this Date ~ Events & Birthdays

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, May 5, 2018.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/5/17 W 6 - 1 Bethune/ GAINESVILLE, Fla.—The Gators needed a hero on Monday and freshman Austin Langworthy rose to the challenge. Langworthy pitched four innings in relief and hit a three-run home run in the sixth inning to propel Florida to a 6-1 win over Bethune-Cookman (36-25). Michael Byrne relieved Langworthy in the seventh inning and closed out the game, finishing the Regional with 10.0 scoreless innings pitched.
    FLORIDA POSTGAME QUOTES Head Coach Kevin O'Sullivan Opening Statement:
    "First of all, I'd like to compliment Bethune-Cookman, because they gave us everything we could handle these last two days. We won a very emotional game Saturday night against South Florida and Marist gave us everything we could handle as well. It was not an easy Regional for us, but we figured it out. I'll get to our players here in a minute, but I just want to compliment Bethune-Cookman. They've got three really good outfielders that can run balls down, they can all throw. The shortstop's a really good player and the second baseman, I don't think anybody figured out how to get him out all weekend. And they're pitching did a nice job, they just ran out of arms there at the end. To get to Monday after losing the first game says a lot about their team and character.
    "The second thing is, with the 4:00 start, it's not an easy game to get to from a fan perspective. I thought our fans were outstanding today. So I want to thank our fans, that definitely made a difference.
    "As far as the game is concerned, last night was a very frustrating night for everybody. The coaches and I, and Eggy [equipment manager Edmund Boyd], stayed up and we were talking about what we were going to do today. We were in an unusual situation pitching-wise because we've pretty much stayed the course all season long with Faedo-Singer-Kowar and we haven't really gotten into a situation where we really got into who would be our midweek starter. I think hopefully we'll get Garrett Milchin back next week, we'll see how he progresses as the week goes on. So we had to mix and match.
    "It was a very interesting conversation, it lasted until about 2:00 in the morning. We came to the conclusion that we wanted to start Kirby because he's a strike-thrower. His numbers against right handers are very good. We had planned to go to Langworthy. Really, it was two innings for Kirby, two for Langworthy, an inning with [Tyler] Dyson – so we'd go soft lefty, hard righty – then we'd go back to Horvath for two and then see where we are at with the ballgame. We had plans, guys going to the outfield once we brought in Langworthy, Reese was probably going to be the first guy out, and then we had to be careful with the DH and where the pitcher would hit in that spot in the order. Low and behold, we have to bring in Michael in the seventh and he lays down a bunt. Our hitters should probably take note of that. We did have a plan in place. Jackson Kowar wanted to throw an inning if we needed him; I did not want to get into that situation. Didn't really want to bring in Michael, but I just thought with the season on the line, he said he felt good, he kept his pitch count down, for me, it's a remarkable season that Michael has had. He will not pick up a ball this week. We'll figure out when we're going to play this weekend against Wake Forest and go from there.
    "There was definitely a plan in place – it was a complicated one, one that we went back-and-forth with all night long. I think the job that Kirby and Austin did was just outstanding. They kept us right where we were at and gave us a chance and the three-run homer kind of loosened everyone up in the dugout.
    "With that being said, I'm awfully proud of our team. I think this is seven of nine years in the Supers, which is not easy as everyone knows. We're playing at home against a very good Wake Forest team. I've looked at them just briefly, obviously we'll get to work on them tonight and figure out a little bit more about their club. I know they've got some power numbers and they've got some guys in the middle of the order that can really hit. We'll dig into them a little bit more.
    "I want these guys to enjoy it. This has been a different year for us. We've won a lot of one-run games and a lot of things have not come easy to us. But I do think in the long run it will make us a tougher team. I got a text from Tim Walton today, they lost their first game in the Supers and had to come back and win the next two and look where they're at right now. Hopefully al the adversity that we've had, even though our record is really, really good, 45-17 now, there's been a lot of games we've had to grind out. I'm awfully proud of our team, our players. They deserve all the credit they get and we're excited about playing next weekend."

6/5/16 DNP

6/5/15 W 13 - 5 FSU/ Sophomore right-hander Logan Shore tossed 5.2 shutout innings and freshman Mike Rivera and senior Josh Tobias drove in three runs apiece as No. 3 Florida (48-16) captured the opening game of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional with a 13-5 victory over No. 10 Florida State (44-20) on Friday night in front of 5,709 fans at McKethan Stadium. The Gators extended their winning streak to a season-high eight games and moved within one victory of clinching a berth in the College World Series.

Shore (9-6) increased his scoreless streak to 13 innings by giving up four hits over 5.2 innings and was supported by an offense that totaled 13 runs on 11 hits and four errors. Rivera had a two-run, two-out single as part of a four-run first inning and drove in a run with a fielder's choice in the third, Tobias (2-for-5) continued his strong performance at the plate and on the hot corner and freshman JJ Schwarz was 2-for-3 with three runs and a pair of RBI, highlighted by his team-leading 16th homer in the fifth inning.

The Gators sent nine batters to the plate and grabbed a 4-0 lead in the first inning on RBI singles by Tobias and Schwarz and a two-run single by Rivera. Junior Harrison Bader led off with an infield single and took second on a throwing error by sophomore pitcher Boomer Biegalski (7-5). A one-out single into left field by sophomore Buddy Reed (2-for-4) left runners on the corners and Tobias cashed in with an RBI single up the middle. Schwarz then followed with a base-knock through the left side of the infield to score Reed. Following a two-out walk to sophomore Peter Alonso, Rivera delivered a single into right center that brought across both Tobias and Schwarz.

Florida boosted its advantage to 6-0 in the third inning. Schwarz drew a leadoff walk, Alonso singled into left field and Vasquez walked to fill the bags with none out. Sophomore Jim Voyles replaced Biegalski (2.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R) and a fielder's choice by Rivera scored Schwarz, with a throwing error by freshman shortstop Taylor Walls trying to turn a double play allowing Alonso to come in.

6/5/14 DNP
    6/5/13 DNP
    6/5/12 DNP

6/5/11 W 11 - 4 Miami/ Junior Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) drove in five runs, junior left-hander Alex Panteliodis (Tampa, Fla.) carried a shutout into the seventh inning and top-seeded Florida (48-17) exploded for eight runs on seven hits in the third frame on its way to an 11-4 victory over second-seeded Miami (Fla.) (38-23) to capture the NCAA Gainesville Regional on Sunday afternoon at McKethan Stadium. The Gators notched their third-straight Regional title and secured their fifth Super Regional berth in school history, all in the past eight years (2004-05-09-10-11). It was the third year in a row that UF has ended Miami's season.

First of all, I would like to congratulate Miami, they've got a great ballclub and had a great year,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “I think today, Nolan (Fontana) set the tone with a two-strike leadoff single. I thought Bryson (Smith) had a really good at bat. For (Preston) Tucker to swing at the first pitch, to give us a 3-0 lead, gave Alex (Panteliodis) a little breathing room. I would say we were really good offensively in the third inning.”

Over three games this weekend, Tucker hit a scorching .500 (7-for-14) with 11 RBI, six runs, three homers, three doubles and was voted as the Regional's Most Outstanding Player. He became the first Gator to be chosen as Regional MOP twice in his career, as he earned the honor in 2009. Panteliodis (6-2) worked a season-high 6.2 innings, allowing five and a run, with four strikeouts and zero walks.

Florida sent a dozen batters to the plate in the third and expanded its lead to 11-0 with eight runs on seven hits. Smith led off with a single into right field and Tucker was hit by a pitch before sophomore Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) laid down a bunt. Encinosa tried to throw out Smith at third base but had an errant throw that allowed Smith to score. Senior Josh Adams (Jacksonville, Fla.) sacrificed Zunino and Tucker into scoring position with a bunt and junior Tyler Thompson (Tequesta, Fla.) drove in both of his teammates with a single up the middle for a 6-0 margin and took second on the play, ending the afternoon for Encinosa (2.1 IP, 4 H, 7 R, 6 ER). Junior Daniel Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) greeted freshman Javi Salas with an RBI double to bring in Thompson and Ramjit followed with a single that brought across Pigott. Ramjit moved into scoring position with his second stolen base and a single by Dent put runners on the corners. Fontana lofted his team-leading eighth sacrifice fly into left field to drive in Ramjit and a base-hit by Smith set the stage for a two-run double by Tucker for an 11-run cushion. The eight-run inning matched UF's highest output of the season, done on April 9 in the second inning at Mississippi State.

6/5/10 W 6 -1 Oregon State/ Top-seeded Florida (44-15) used a seven-run third inning to post a 10-2 win over third-seeded Oregon State (32-23) in a winner's bracket game of the NCAA Gainesville Regional on Saturday night at McKethan Stadium. Sophomore left-hander Alex Panteliodis (Tampa, Fla.) (10-2) matched his career high with eight strikeouts over five innings and earned the win to become the first Gator pitcher with 10 victories since Alan Horne went 10-2 in 2005. Seven of Florida's 14 hits went for extra bases, with three homers, two triples and a couple of doubles.
    Once again, we had an awesome start on the mound for us,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “A.P. (Alex Panteliodis) was solid and the offense did a heck of a job in the third inning with seven two-out runs. Our pitching was good and we only walked two batters tonight. I'm awfully proud of our guys.”

Freshman Nolan Fontana (Winter Garden, Fla.) (1-for-3, two runs) opened the game by belting his third home run over the right-field fence to give Florida a quick lead. The rookie battled back from a 0-2 count to sophomore righty Sam Gaviglio (3-4) and became the first Gator to start a contest with a round-tripper since Matt den Dekker (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) accomplished the feat against Army on March 15. It was Fontana's first dinger since May 12 versus Florida Atlantic. Freshman Austin Maddox (Jacksonville, Fla.) (3-for-5) delivered a two-out single and went to third on a sharp single by den Dekker. The Beavers worked out of trouble by catching den Dekker in a run-down to end the inning.

6/5/09 DNP
    6/5/08 DNP
    6/5/07 DNP
    6/5/06 DNP

6/5/05 W 23 - 3 Notre Dame/ Top-seeded Florida (43-20) clinched its second-straight NCAA Super Regional berth on Sunday night with a 23-3 win over third-seeded Notre Dame (38-24-1) in front of 4,851 fans at McKethan Stadium. The Gators banged out 21 hits and plated a school-record 23 runs in NCAA Tournament play to complete a perfect 3-0 weekend.

Junior Alan Horne (Marianna, Fla.) (8-2) notched his seventh-straight win by working seven innings in which he scattered four hits and registered eight strikeouts. The Regional's Most Outstanding Player, sophomore Brian Leclerc (Clearwater, Fla.), went 4-for-5 with four RBI and finished the weekend 8-for-12 (.667) with nine RBI. Freshman Bryson Barber (Pensacola, Fla.) launched a pinch-hit triple with one down in the ninth against ND sophomore Jess Stewart and scored on a sac fly by Corsaletti. Adam Davis followed with a walk and junior Andy Davis (Fort Myers, Fla.) had a pinch-hit single into left center to end the evening for Stewart. Junior Greg Quatrino (Tampa, Fla.) bashed senior Tyler Jones' first pitch over the wall in left for his first career hit, a three-run homer to bring Florida's run total to 23.

Twelve different Gators contributed at least one hit to the squad's offensive production, highlighted by Davis (4-for-5, six runs, three RBI), Corsaletti (2-for-5, four RBI, four runs) and Leclerc. Andres went 2-for-4 for the Fighting Irish. Junior Darren O'Day (Jacksonville, Fla.) pitched the final two innings for UF, giving up two hits and one run.

6/5/04 W 4 -3 UCLA/ A game ending double play moved the University of Florida baseball team (42-20) into the championship game of the NCAA Regional on Saturday as the Gators knocked off No. 3 seed UCLA 4-3. Connor Falkenbach pitched a complete game and limited the Bruins to the three runs on 10 hits in running his record to 10-6. UCLA would threaten on Falkenbach in the ninth as the Gator coaches faced the decision to leave the junior in or go to the bullpen. After a pair of singles by the Bruins Brandon Averill and Billy Susdorf the Florida staff would let Falkenbach remain in the game to finish what he started. The move would pay off, as Falkenbach would get Brett McMillan to ground into a 4-6-3 double play on his second pitch to the hitter, which ended the game.

Florida would tag Bruin starter Wes Whisler for four runs including the decisive three in the fifth. Ben Harrison would hit the game winner in that frame with a two-run home run. Harrison would finish 2-for-3 while Brian Leclerc doubled and went 2-for-4 at the plate for the Gators.

Florida head coach Pat McMahon – "That was one heck of a college baseball game. Those were two teams that really battled their hearts out. We were just more opportunistic offensively and once again we pitched and defended very well against an outstanding UCLA team."
    "We were trying to decided to leave Connor in, but I looked into eyes and knew that he wanted the ball in his hand. I know he will throw the ball in the strike zone and he did that today."

6/5/03 DNP
    6/5/02 DNP
    6/5/01 DNP
    6/5/00 DNP
    6/5/99 DNP

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Great memories jjh--Thanks again--

3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I enjoy rereading the recaps and it also helps me remember that we have not always had it so good :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1937 Phillies trailing 8-2 to St Louis, forfeit game
    1939 NY Giants beat Reds 17-3, with 5 HRs in 4th inning
    1944 Baseball cancels all games honoring D-Day invasion
    1965 Yankees Tom Tresh bangs 3 consecutive HRs beating White Sox 12-0
    1971 Willie Mays hits record 22nd & last extra inning HR
    1975 Nolan Ryan's bid for 2nd no-hitter broken in 6th inning
    1983 Twins draft pitcher Tim Belcher #1
    1987 NY Yankees play their 13,000th game
    1989 Mets turn their 1st triple play in 7 years but lose to Cubs 8-4
    1990 Stump Merrill replaces Bucky Dent as NY Yankee manager
    1992 NY Met Eddie Murray sets RBI record by a switch hitter
    2017 Scooter Gennet hits four home runs in Cincinnati Reds 13-1 victory against at home against St. Louis Cardinals, 17th player to do so

BIRTHDAYS
    1907 Bill Dickey, NY Yankee hall-of-fame catcher (1928-43) and manager,
    1965 Sally McDermid, Australian softball outfielder
    1980 Matt Belisle, baseball player

5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/6/17 DNP
    6/6/16 DNP

6/6/15 W 11 - 4 FSU/ GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Behind three RBI apiece from junior Harrison Bader and freshman JJ Schwarz and a total of four homers, No. 3 Florida (49-16) punched its ticket to the NCAA College World Series with an 11-4 triumph over No. 10 Florida State (44-21) to complete a sweep of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Saturday at McKethan Stadium. UF had defeated the Seminoles in Friday night's opener by a 13-5 score.

The Gators have now posted a season-high nine wins in a row. Senior left-hander Bobby Poyner (5-2) twirled five shutout innings in his final home appearance to collect the victory. Florida State jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning against sophomore A.J. Puk on three hits and a pair of Gator errors. Senior Josh Delph (3-for-5) led off with a single and took second on a throwing error by sophomore center fielder Buddy Reed. A sacrifice bunt by junior John Sansone advanced Delph and a fielder's choice by junior DJ Stewart resulted in Delph being safe at home on an error by Schwarz. After Stewart stole second base, he scored on a double into right center by sophomore Quincy Nieporte (2-for-4). An infield hit by senior Chris Marconcini and a hit-by-pitch to freshman Taylor Walls loaded the bases with one out before Puk escaped further damage by striking out sophomore Ben DeLuzio and having a grounder by freshman Darren Miller force Marconcini at third base.

The Gators answered in the top of the second on a two-run homer by Schwarz, his first of two on the day, and a sacrifice fly by freshman Dalton Guthrie, to seize a 3-2 advantage. Senior Josh Tobias led off with a walk from redshirt junior Mike Compton (4-4) to reach base for the 27th consecutive game and Schwarz belted the next pitch over the left-field bleachers for his team-leading 17th homer to match Florida's single-season freshman record held by Austin Maddox in 2010. Sophomore Peter Alonso's grounder was misplayed by Miller at third base for a fielding error and then an errant throw by Miller enabled Alonso to take second on the play. Freshman Jeremy Vasquez (2-for-2) raised his hitting streak to seven games with a base-hit into center for runners on the corners and a grounder by freshman Mike Rivera pushed Vasquez to second base before Guthrie flew out to left to bring home Alonso.

UF tallied three runs on three hits in the third frame for a 6-2 margin. Junior Richie Martin (2-for-6) boosted the Gators' lead to 4-2 with a leadoff homer to left field, his fifth big fly of the season and first since May 5 against USF. Schwarz (3-for-4, three runs) drew a two-out walk and came all the way around to score on a triple off of the fence in right center by Alonso, ending the afternoon for Compton (2.2 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 5 ER). Vasquez greeted junior reliever Dylan Silva with an RBI single through the right side to bring across Alonso.
    Bader (2-for-5) belted his 15th homer to left field with Guthrie aboard in the fourth inning for an 8-2 count.
    Head Coach Kevin O'Sullivan Opening Statement: “I want to congratulate Florida State on a great game and a tremendous series. It is very difficult to get to this point. I just want to say congratulations to them and I want to say thanks to our fans. It was an incredible atmosphere this weekend. They inspired our guys and they motivated our guys. I think today was a great example of the way that we kept answering back offensively. We did a lot of things good today after the first inning. We were a little shaky defensively, but I think that we settled down. We pitched fairly well after that and played really good defense. I thought the outfield, Harrison [Bader] and Buddy Reed, made some really nice plays from Bobby's [Poyner] pitching. Dalton Guthrie made some really nice plays. Offensively, we swung the bats really well today. It was just one of those days where we got balls elevated and JJ [Schwarz] had one of those days that doesn't come around very often. I'm pleased with where we are at. It was just a great overall effort by our guys, especially when we answered back after we fell behind in the first inning. We are looking forward to getting back out to Omaha.”

6/6/14 DNP
    6/6/13 DNP
    6/6/12 DNP
    6/6/11 DNP

6/6/10 W 15 - 0 FAU/ Behind a three-homer, six-RBI performance from sophomore Tyler Thompson (Tequesta, Fla.) and seven scoreless innings by freshman left-hander Brian Johnson (Cocoa Beach, Fla.), top-seeded Florida (45-15) blanked Florida Atlantic (37-24), 15-0, to capture the NCAA Gainesville Regional on Sunday night at McKethan Stadium. The Gators unleashed a 19-hit barrage that featured a school postseason record six home runs and the duo of redshirt sophomore Tommy Toledo (Tampa, Fla.) and junior Kevin Chapman (Coral Springs, Fla.) each worked an inning without yielding a run to complete the shutout.

In becoming the first Florida player to belt three homers in a postseason game, Thompson (4-for-5) enjoyed a career night, matching his career high of four hits and setting personal bests in runs (four) and RBI (six). Johnson (6-4) was named the Regional's Most Outstanding Player after hitting .625 (5-for-8) at the plate this weekend and the southpaw scattered six hits over seven innings and was 3-for-5 with a solo shot in tonight's Regional title game.

With the victory, the Gators advance to next weekend's Super Regional for the second-straight year and the fourth time in the past seven years. UF will host the winner of the Coral Gables Regional
    2010 NCAA Gainesville Regional All-Tournament Team
    Catcher: Mike Zunino, FLORIDA
    First Base: Preston Tucker, FLORIDA
    Second Base: Raymond Church, Florida Atlantic
    Shortstop: Nolan Fontana, FLORIDA
    Third Base: Sean Bukovich, Florida Atlantic
    Outfield: Tyler Thompson, FLORIDA
    Outfield: Adalberto Santos, Oregon State
    Outfield: Matt den Dekker, FLORIDA
    Designated Hitter: Eddie Cassidy, Florida Atlantic
    Pitcher: Hudson Randall, FLORIDA
    Pitcher: Brian Johnson, FLORIDA
    Most Outstanding Player: Brian Johnson, FLORIDA

6/6/09 L 7 - 9 So Miss/ No. 17 Southern Miss (39-24) erupted for three runs in the fifth and four in the sixth en route to a 9-7 victory over No. 9 Florida (42-21) in the first game of the best-of-three NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Saturday at McKethan Stadium. The Golden Eagles will have an opportunity to clinch their first-ever berth in next weekend's NCAA College World Series with a win tomorrow night.

Senior reliever Jonathan Johnston (1-0) hurled 3.2 scoreless innings for USM, giving up one hit, before turning the game over sophomore Collin Cargill in the ninth with a three-run lead. Florida senior Avery Barnes (High Springs, Fla.) (2-for-5) led off with a single into center field but was erased at second base on a close call on a fielder's choice by junior Jonathan Pigott (Ormond Beach , Fla.) (2-for-4, three runs). Freshman Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) (2-for-5, RBI) singled for two runners aboard and fly-out by sophomore Josh Adams (Jacksonville, Fla.) (2-for-5) left runners on the corners. Junior Matt den Dekker (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) narrowed the gap to 9-7 with a base-knock up the middle before Cargill closed the game by having senior Brandon McArthur (Seffner, Fla.) ground out to nail down his 12th save.
    “You have to tip your cap to Southern Miss,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “I thought their bullpen came in and did a really nice job and that was the difference. I felt pretty good after we scored two in the bottom of the fifth but then we turn around and give up four with one out and nobody on to their nine-hole hitter. You have to give credit to Southern Miss. They came up with some big hits and made a bunch of plays defensively. We have to come back ready to play tomorrow. This thing's not over with yet.”

6/6/08 DNP
    6/6/07 DNP
    6/6/06 DNP
    6/6/05 DNP

6/6/04 W 11-0 UCLA/ For the first time in the history of the University of Florida baseball program the Gators will advance to Super Regional after a 11-0 victory over UCLA on Sunday. Florida improved to 43-20 as the Gators swept the three games in the regional. UF would ride the pitching of Tommy Boss as the junior pitched the complete game shutout in improving to 4-5 on the season.

Florida will head to Coral Gables, Fla. and play Miami next Saturday, Sunday, and Monday in a best of three series with the Hurricanes in Super Regional action. The Hurricanes won all three games at the Coral Gables Regional to claim the berth in the final 16. The Gators were never threatened in the regional championship victory, as the UF offense would punish five UCLA pitchers for 11 hits including five for extra bases. Bruin starter Daniel Miltenberger would not make it out of the second inning as the right hander was knocked around for four hits and four runs in dropping to 3-2 on the season. He came out with two runners on and no outs in the second inning.

Boss would face just one batter over the minimum through four innings as he cruised with the big lead. He gave up just three hits and did not walk a batter while striking out six. He faced just 30 batters (three over the minimum) and threw 94 pitches in the win. Only one UCLA base runner would reach second as Boss got 12 fly ball outs and nine ground outs to go along with the career best six strikeouts.

Ben Harrison and Jonathan Tucker would provide the big bats as Harrison went 2-for-5 with three RBI and Tucker was 2-for-4 with three RBI.
    Florida would get all the runs it needed for Boss in the first two innings. After scoring one in the first the Gators sent 11 batters to the plate in the second and scored seven runs on four hits. Florida would continue to expand the lead with a single run in the fifth and two more in the seventh.
    FLORIDA ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM MEMBERS
    1B – C.J. Smith
    OF – Jeff Corsaletti
    OF – Ben Harrison
    P – Tommy Boss
    MOP – Ben Harrison

6/6/03 DNP
    6/6/02 DNP
    6/6/01 DNP
    6/6/00 DNP
    6/6/99 DNP

• Like Like x 1
  6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/7/17 DNP
    6/7/16 DNP
    6/7/15 DNP
    6/7/14 DNP
    6/7/13 DNP
    6/7/12 DNP
    6/7/11 DNP
    6/7/10 DNP

6/7/09 L 6 - 7 So Miss/ No. 17 Southern Miss (40-24) overcame a 6-4 deficit with three runs in the eighth inning to defeat No. 9 Florida (42-22), 7-6, in game two of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Sunday night at McKethan Stadium. With their second-straight win over the Gators, the Golden Eagles punched a ticket to their first-ever NCAA College World Series.

First, I want to congratulate Southern Miss,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “They played really, really well. All year long we have played teams who have made mistakes and kicked the ball around a little bit, but they play great defense. Their bullpen again did a heck of a job. We had a solid game plan going against their starter, but once again their bullpen put up six-straight zeroes on the scoreboard. We just couldn't quite distance ourselves enough from them. If you had told me going into the day that we had a two-run lead with six outs to play and a rested Billy Bullock on the mound, I would have felt pretty good about it. But, you have to tip your caps to them.”

#3 Brandon McArthur Opening Statement:
    “Going into this weekend, we knew that they would be a scrappy team, just like ourselves. They battled. Every single person that went out there for them seemed like they were on a mission. You have to give them a lot of credit. They came into our place, which is a very tough place to play, and they just got the job done. You just have to congratulate them for their performance and wish them the best of luck in Omaha.”

On the end of his collegiate career at Florida:
    Never once will I think that I made the wrong decision by coming back. I wanted to come back because of Coach O'Sullivan. I have a great relationship with him and all of the coaching staff. This has been a great season and it's a tough way to go out but I've had so much fun. My six years here as a Gator have been unbelievable. I will always be a Gator and support this team 100 percent.”

Head Coach Corky Palmer Opening Statement:
    “I'm just so proud of our team. Winning the Super Regional the way we did it and come back against a fine Florida team at home is amazing. To be down 6-1 and come back and win that game was special. It's been a great ride. I don't know what happened three weeks ago but those seniors bonded and we just grew up each week. We've earned everything that we have got. We had great relief pitching and Joey (Archer) got the big hit. This is quite an accomplishment for our school to go to Omaha. Seven-straight regionals are nothing to sneeze at but to take this step to Omaha will do wonders for our program.”

6/7/08 DNP
    6/7/07 DNP
    6/7/06 DNP
    6/7/05 DNP
    6/7/04 DNP
    6/7/03 DNP
    6/7/02 DNP
    6/7/01 DNP
    6/7/00 DNP
    6/7/99 DNP

7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1892 John J. Doyle of Clev Spiders is 1st to pinch hit in a baseball game
    1906 Chicago Cubs score 11 in 1st inning, beating NY Giants 19-0
    1932 Pitcher John Quinn, 47, is oldest player to have an extra-base hit (a double) & bat in a run, as the Dodgers beat the Cubs 9-2
    1939 Cleveland Indians sets AL record of 16 inning game without striking out, however lose game 5-4 to NY Yankees
    1966 NY Mets pass up Reggie Jackson to draft Steve Chilcott #1
    1967 NY Yankees draft Ron Blomberg #1
    1972 Pirate's Gene Alley bases-loaded walk, beats Padres 1-0 in 18th
    1973 Rangers draft Texas high school pitcher David Clyde #1
    1974 Padres draft Brown University shortstop Bill Almon #1
    1977 White Sox draft Harold Baines #1
    1982 NY Mets draft Dwight Gooden, Roger McDowell & Randy Myers
    1983 Steve Carlton temporarily passes Nolan Ryan with his 3,552 strike out
    1986 Pirates draft 3rd baseman Jeff King #1
    1989 1st Baseball game to start outdoors & end indoors, as Toronto Blue Jays stadium closes roof during game at 8:48, & beat Brewers 4-2
    1994 A's outfielder Rickey Henderson steals his 1,100th career base

BIRTHDAYS
    1933 Herb Score, pitcher (Cleveland Indians)
    1937 Bert Sugar, American sports writer (Sting like a Bee), born in Washington, D.C. (d. 2012)
    1947 Thurman Munson, baseball catcher/captain (NY Yankees)
    1966 Heathcliff Slocumb, pitcher (Boston Red Sox)
    1968 Melissa Coombes, female pitcher (Colo Silver Bullets)
    1977 Odalis Pérez, Dominican baseball player
    1982 Virgil Vasquez, American baseball player
    1983 Mark Lowe, American baseball player

8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    love reading thru the regional and super regional re-caps!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    it is fun and it adds a bit of perspective on where we are and where we have been along with how we got from there to here. Somewhere Dave Fuller is smiling !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Not much today, by this time we were waiting on a SR or done for the year
    6/8/17 DNP
    6/8/16 DNP
    6/8/15 DNP
    6/8/14 Season Over
    6/8/13 Season Over
    6/8/12 DNP
    6/8/11 DNP
    6/8/10 DNP
    6/8/09 Season Over
    6/8/08 Season Over
    6/8/07 Season Over
    6/8/06 Season Over
    6/8/05 DNP
    6/8/04 DNP
    6/8/03 Season Over
    6/8/02 Season Over
    6/8/01 Season Over
    6/8/00 Season Over
    6/8/99 Season Over

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1920 Reds' Edd Roush falls asleep in center during long infield argument Heinie Groh goes to wake him, but umpire ejects Roush for delay of game
    1921 Babe Ruth arrested for speeding, fined $100, & held in jail until 4 PM
    1927 Tony Lazzeri hits 3 HRs Yanks beat White Sox 12-11
    1935 Lou Gehrig collides with Carl Reynolds & leaves the game
    1950 Boston Red Sox beat St Louis Browns 29-4 (win by record 25 runs)
    1955 Dodgers option Tommy Lasorda to make room on roster for Sandy Koufax
    1961 Milwaukee sets record of 4 consecutive HRs (Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Joe Adcock & Frank Thomas)
    1969 Mickey Mantle Day, 60,096 saw #7 retired
    1971 White Sox draft Danny Goodwin #1, he refuses to sign
    1972 Padres draft Dave Roberts #1, Indians draft Rick Manning #2
    1976 Houston Astros draft Floyd Bannister #1
    1977 Nolan Ryan notches his 4th career 19-strikeout game
    1978 Braves draft Bob Horner #1
    1981 Seattle Mariners draft Mike Moore #1
    1986 Longest 9 inning AL game (4h16m), Balt Orioles beat Yankees 18-9
    1989 Pirates score 10 in 1st (their best inning since 1942), prompts Pirate broadcaster Jim Rooker to say he would walk from Pitts to Philadelphia if Pirates lost, Phillies beat them 15-11, Rooker walks at end of season
    1992 NY Yankee pitcher Steve Howe is banned from baseball for 7th time

BIRTHDAYS
    1911 Van Lingle Mungo, SC, pitcher (Dodgers, Giants)
    1925 Del Ennis, baseball player
    1944 Mark Belanger, American baseball player (d. 1998)
    1957 Don Robinson, American baseball player
    1968 Dave Mlicki, pitcher (NY Mets)
    1979 Pete Orr, Canadian baseball player

12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/9/17 DNP Next 6/10
    6/9/16 DNP Next 6/11
    6/9/15 DNP Next 6/13
    6/9/14 Season Over
    6/9/13 Season Over

6/9/12 W 7 - 1 NC State/ Junior Hudson Randall (Atlanta, Ga.) threw seven shutout innings and junior Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) drove in three runs and had a two-run homer as No. 1 Florida (46-18) downed No. 11 NC State (43-19), 7-1, in the opening game of the best-of-three NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Saturday afternoon at McKethan Stadium.
    The contest was delayed twice for a total of two hours and 51 minutes before it was completed. Game two will be on Sunday at 1 p.m. and be shown nationally on ESPNU, with the Gators needing one more victory to punch the program's third-consecutive ticket to the NCAA College World Series.
    I thought we played very well,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “The four-run third inning was obviously big for us; it gave us a really good lead. Hudson was outstanding on the mound, again. It seems like every time he goes to the mound, he gives us a quality start. He dialed in today and he was very good. He scattered six hits, but didn't walk anybody. He did a great job of getting lead-off hitters out to start innings.”
    “Mike [Zunino] had a great day at the plate. He battled with two strikes and got the RBI with runners on second and third with one out, and obviously the two-run homer was great as well. I look forward to tomorrow. We know that tomorrow is a totally different game than it was today. We can't carry any runs into tomorrow. We know NC State is throwing arguably, their ace tomorrow, and we have to come out and be ready to play. We're one win away, and we'll see what happens.”
    Senior Greg Larson (Longwood, Fla.) replaced Randall out of the rain delay and registered the first two outs before walking Canela in a driving rainstorm, prompting another delay at 6:38 p.m. Action resumed at 7:26 p.m. and redshirt senior Ryan Mathews singled to left field and went to second on a fielding error by freshman left fielder Justin Shafer (Lake Wales, Fla.)., with Canela moving to third. Freshman Bobby Poyner (Wellington, Fla.) came in for Larson (0.2 IP, 1 H) and caught Senay looking on strikes to strand the runners.

Poyner (0.2 IP) had Ciencin fly out to center field to open the ninth and sophomore Keenan Kish (Worcester, Pa.) surrendered a two-out double down the right-field line to Austin (2-for-4) before yielding a pinch-hit RBI single by senior John Gianis that finalized the 7-1 margin. The Gators held a 10-9 advantage in hits. Sophomore righty Jonathon Crawford (Okeechobee, Fla.) (6-2, 2.92) will oppose Rodon (9-0, 1.61) tomorrow at 1 p.m.

6/9/11 DNP Next 6/10
    6/9/10 DNP Next 6/11
    6/9/09 Season Over
    6/9/08 Season Over
    6/9/07 Season Over
    6/9/06 Season Over
    6/9/05 DNP Next 6/10
    6/9/04 DNP Next 6/12
    6/9/03 Season Over
    6/9/02 Season Over
    6/9/01 Season Over
    6/9/00 Season Over
    6/9/99 Season Over

• Like Like x 2
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1901 NY Giants get record 31 hits to beat Cincinnati Reds 25-13
    1914 Honus Wagner is 2nd to get 3,000 hits
    1933 Walter Johnson takes over as Cleveland manager
    1945 Following an 8-7 win over the Phils, Brooklyn manager Leo Durocher is arrested on a complaint by a fan that Durocher slugged him
    1961 Ryne Duren sets AL record with 7 straight strikeouts against Red Sox
    1963 1st Sunday night game in baseball SF Giants lose to Houston Colts 3-0
    1966 5 Minnesota Twins (Rich Rollins, Zolio Versailes, Tony Oliva, Don Michner, & Harmon Killebrew) all homer in 7th inning to beat A's 9-4
    1979 Phillies wear burgundy uniforms for 1st and last time
    1980 Phillies and SF Giants end their game at 3:11 AM
    1986 Angel Don Sutton (298 wins) beats White Sox Tom Seaver (306 wins) 3-0
    1990 Dodger Eddie Murray ties Mickey Mantle with baseball's switch hit HRs in 10 games
    1997 Detroit Tigers baseball team bat out of order against Oakland A's in 1st inning
    2015 Chris Heston of the San Francisco Giants becomes the first pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the 2015 MLB season

BIRTHDAYS
    1893 Irish Meusel, American baseball player (d. 1963)
    1926 Roy Smalley, shortstop (Cubs, Braves, Phillies, Twins, Yankees)
    1931 Bill Virdon, 2nd baseman (St Louis Cards)/mgr (NY Yankees)
    1940 Dick Vitale, American sportscaster
    1974 Randy Winn, American baseball player
    1980 Mike Fontenot, American baseball player

14. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/10/18 v Auburn

6/10/17 W 2 - 1 Wake Forest/ GAINESVILLE, Fla.—Senior Ryan Larson, sidelined for the last two weeks, lined a walk-off single to center in the bottom of the 11th inning to give Florida a 2-1 win over Wake Forest in Game 1 of the Gainesville Super Regional.
    Wake Forest helped the Gators' cause by loading the bases with a walk and two hit batters. Larson, who was hit in the head by a pitch at the SEC Tournament, stepped to the plate with two outs and lined the 0-1 pitch right back up the middle to bring home Jonathan India as the winning run.
    It was Florida's 18th one-run win on the season, the most in the nation, and its first walk-off win since March 18, 2016 against Missouri.
    Florida (46-17) weathered a nearly four-hour weather delay and won a pitchers' duel with Wake Forest (42-19) to take the series opener.
    The Gators' pitching staff racked up 23 strikeouts on Saturday night, the most ever in a NCAA Tournament game in school history.
    Alex Faedo led the charge on the mound with four scoreless innings to start the game, racking up nine strikeouts with just one walk.
    Following the delay, Florida called upon Brady Singer to make his first relief appearance of the season.
    Singer, the scheduled Game 2 starter, retired the first seven batters he faced and limited the Demon Deacons to just two hits in four innings of work.
    Heading to the ninth with a one-run lead, head coach Kevin O'Sullivan opted to bring in All-America closer Michael Byrne to finish off the game.
    Wake Forest had other plans.
    Catcher Ben Breazeale took the second pitch he saw from Byrne and hit an opposite field home run just inside the left field foul pole to tie the game.
    Byrne retired the next three batters to keep the game even. Wake Forest brought in closer Griffin Roberts who worked a scoreless ninth inning to send the game to extras.
    Byrne and Roberts battled through the 10th -- with Byrne escaping a bases-loaded jam -- and into the 11th as Johhny Aiello led off inning with a single off Byrne. After a sacrifice bunt moved the runner into scoring position, Byrne extinguished the threat with a pair of strikeouts.
    Kevin O'Sullivan Opening Statement:
    "Another one-run game. We hung in there. Obviously it was not our best night offensively. We needed to make a ton of pitches and once again we continued to make pitch after pitch. They left 11 on base, and it seems like that. They had some opportunities. I think the strikeout by Alex on Gavin Sheets with the bases loaded and one out was a huge, huge turning point in that game, even though it was early.
    "We had a tough decision to make about who we were going to start after Alex [and the weather delay]. I just had that feel that we were going to have a little trouble scoring runs. Just a gut feel. We had the opportunity to move Jackson [Kowar] up one start and we can piece this thing together. Brady can come back on Monday, Michael as well. We've got some out of Alex too. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
    "It was just one of those games. Both teams pitched exceptionally well. Their starter was really, really good. Their closer was as good as advertised with the slider, just kind of lost the zone there in the 11th. We had a senior at the plate who stayed in the middle of the field and had a big hit for us. Not an easy game but we did just enough to win. Wake Forest has got a heck of a ball club. Tomorrow is not going to be easy."
    On the decision to go to Byrne in the ninth inning:
    "I thought there were a lot of emotional pitches that Brady had to make, and we've gone to Michael Byrne the whole year in the ninth inning. That happens. Their kid put a good swing on a pitch, he earned it. Went the opposite way. We still can use both these guys [Singer and Byrne] this weekend. I wouldn't second-guess that decision at all because Michael has been the guy at the end of the game. Quite honestly we need Brady again this weekend."

6/10/16 DNP Next 6/11
    6/10/15 DNP Next 6/13
    2014 Season Over
    2013 Season Over

6/9/12 W 9 - 8 NCState/ No. 1 Florida (47-18) plated a pair of runs in the top of the 10th inning and withstood a rally by No. 11 NC State (43-20) to notch a 9-8 triumph in the second game of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Sunday afternoon at McKethan Stadium. UF had defeated the Wolfpack in Saturday's opener by a 7-1 score.
    With the game in the 10th inning tied at 7-7 and Florida the visiting team, NCSU redshirt senior Vance Williams (4-4) took over for freshman Travis Orwig (0.1 IP). Senior Daniel Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) (2-for-5) clubbed a leadoff homer just over the right-field wall to give the Gators an 8-7 lead. It was his first blast since May 11 against Mississippi State and eighth of the campaign. Freshman Casey Turgeon (Palm Harbor, Fla.) (3-for-5) collected his third hit of the contest with a base-hit into right field and was sacrificed to second by freshman Justin Shafer (Lake Wales, Fla.) (2-for-3). After junior Vickash Ramjit (Miami, Fla.) lined to shortstop for the second out, freshman Josh Tobias (Greensboro, N.C.) (2-for-5) sliced an RBI single into right field to give the Gators a 9-7 advantage.
    Freshman Brett Austin (2-for-4) drew a leadoff walk from sophomore Karsten Whitson (Chipley, Fla.) (4-0), who was replaced by freshman Bobby Poyner (Wellington, Fla.). The rookie left-hander plunked junior Tarran Senay for a pair of runners on base and junior Grant Clyde sacrificed his teammates into scoring position with a bunt. Sophomore Keenan Kish (Worcester, Pa.) took over on the mound for Poyner and freshman Trea Turner brought the Wolfpack within 9-8 with a sacrifice fly to straightway center field. With the tying run on second base, Kish caught junior Chris Diaz looking on strikes to record his first career save and secure UF's trip to the College World Series.
    NCSU freshman Carlos Rodon and Florida sophomore Jonathon Crawford (Okeechobee, Fla.) were locked in a pitcher's duel early in the contest, with the Wolfpack hurler retiring seven in a row and the Gator righty setting down all six batters, before the game was delayed at 1:37 p.m. due to lightning and then heavy rains in the area.
    When play resumed at exactly 4 p.m., Austin doubled to left field to start the home part of the third, ending a stretch of 14.2 hitless innings by Crawford dating back to a leadoff single by Auburn's Bobby Andrews in the third inning at the SEC Tournament on May 22. In addition, the right-hander's streak of consecutive batters retired was stopped at 25, two shy of the school record held by junior Brian Johnson (Cocoa Beach, Fla.). The last base-runner against Crawford had come on a walk by Bethune-Cookman's Jake Welch in the third inning last Friday night. Following a strikeout of freshman Logan Ratledge, junior Matt Bergquist (2-for-4) opened the scoring with an RBI double to right field. A fly ball to right field by Turner advanced Bergquist to third base and Crawford countered with a key strikeout of Diaz.
    The Gators answered with four runs on five hits in the fourth to seize a 4-1 advantage. Redshirt sophomore Anthony Tzamtzis took over for Rodon (3.0 IP, 0 H, 3 K) out of the delay and surrendered a game-tying homer to senior Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) to right field. The round-tripper was Tucker's 16th of the year and 11th all-time in NCAA Tournament play. Junior Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) (2-for-4) followed with his SEC-leading 28th double down the left-field line and Johnson's 13th two-bagger of the year to the base of the wall in right field pushed Zunino to third. Tzamtzis retired Pigott on an infield fly and Turgeon moved the Gators in front with an RBI single into right field to bring home Zunino and end the afternoon for Tzamtzis (0.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R). Shafer greeted junior Ryan Wilkins with a sacrifice fly to center field to score Johnson and Turgeon moved into scoring position with his ninth theft. Ramjit roped an RBI single into left field to bring in Turgeon and wound up taking second base on a fielding error by Ratledge before Wilkins had Tobias pop up to complete the stanza.
    The Wolfpack used a two-out, two-run double by Austin to narrow the gap to 4-3 in the home part of the frame. Crawford notched the first two outs before permitting consecutive singles to senior Andrew Ciencin and freshman Jake Fincher (2-for-5). Austin delivered his second double of the game to deep center field to drive in his teammates and bring NCSU within a run. After issuing an intentional walk to Senay, Crawford (3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 5 K, 1 BB) was replaced by senior Greg Larson (Longwood, Fla.), who induced a grounder by Bergquist that Tobias stabbed and tagged third base to finish the inning. Diaz knotted the game at 4-4 in the fifth with a one-out homer into the left-field bleachers. It was his second dinger of the campaign and the first allowed by Larson this season.

6/10/11 W 11 - 1 Miss State/ Sophomore Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) drove in three runs and Florida (49-16) scored in each of the first five innings to defeat Mississippi State (37-24), 11-1, in the opening game of the best-of-three NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Friday afternoon at McKethan Stadium. Game two will be on Saturday at noon and be shown nationally on ESPN, with the Gators needing one more victory to punch the program's seventh ticket to the NCAA College World Series.
    Sophomore right-hander Hudson Randall (Atlanta, Ga.) (10-3) held the Bulldogs scoreless into the seventh inning and was supported by a balanced offense that plated four runs in the first, two in the second, one in the third, two in the fourth and one in the fifth to build a 10-run cushion. Over eight full innings, his longest stint in NCAA play, Randall registered a season-high eight strikeouts, scattered six hits and permitted one run.
    This time of the year, it's all about momentum and how you handle momentum, how you gain momentum and hold onto it,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “I am really proud of the way we played today offensively; it might have been one of our better offensive days in awhile. I know we have been swinging the bat really good but to not have any giveaway innings was key. I thought we were just outstanding. Hudson Randall just did what he has been doing all year long and pitched deep into the ballgame, saving our (bull)pen.”
    The Gators expanded their lead to 9-0 in the fourth on RBI singles by Smith and Adams. Dent began the inning with his second walk of the afternoon and moved into scoring position on a grounder by Fontana. Smith's second hit of the contest brought in Dent and he took second on the relay throw to the plate. Tucker popped out in foul territory, advancing Smith to third, and Zunino drew a two-out walk for runners on the corners. Adams delivered a single into left field to bring in Smith.
    Dent's first sacrifice fly of the season drove in Pigott in the fifth for a 10-0 lead. Pigott had led off by reaching on a two-base fielding error by Ogden and went to third on a grounder by Ramjit. Dent picked up his fifth RBI of the season with a fly ball to center field off sophomore Kendall Graveman to score Pigott.

6/10/10 DNP Next 6/11
    2009 Season Over
    2008 Season Over
    2007 Season Over
    2006 Season Over

2005 W 8 - 1 FSU/ Before a University of Florida postseason record crowd of 5,250 fans at McKethan Stadium on Friday night, No. 6 Florida (44-20) claimed the opening game of its best-of-three NCAA Super Regional against No. 9 Florida State (53-19) with an 8-1 victory. Senior Tommy Boss (Dunnellon, Fla.) twirled his second-straight compete game and was backed by four homers by the Gators, including three in a row during the fifth inning.
    Boss (8-4) scattered seven hits in going the distance for the second time in the NCAA Tournament, as the right-hander limited North Carolina to three hits in a 5-2 UF win on June 4. He made his final appearance at McKethan Stadium a memorable occasion by securing the Gators' first-ever Super Regional triumph. Boss now has four complete-game efforts in the postseason over the past two years.
    Senior Jeff Corsaletti (Port Charlotte, Fla.) provided the Gators with a 1-0 lead in the third with his 10th homer of the season. Sophomore Bryan Henry had not allowed a hit until Corsaletti sent a first-pitch fastball over the right-field wall for his fourth round-tripper of the postseason.
    The Gators staged a two-out rally in the fourth that yielded three runs to seize a 4-0 margin. Sophomore Brian Jeroloman (Wellington, Fla.) drew a one-out walk and advanced to third on a double by freshman Brandon McArthur (Seffner, Fla.). After Henry induced a pop foul by sophomore Brian Leclerc (Clearwater, Fla.), junior Justin Tordi (Orlando, Fla.) deposited a bleeder just beyond the mound for a two-run lead. Junior Stephen Barton (Miami, Fla.) was hit by a pitch to load the bases before sophomore Gavin Dickey (Tallahassee, Fla.) roped a two-run single into left field for a 4-0 lead. The four runs allowed by Henry were the most he had surrendered in a game this season.
    Senior Daniel Wardell led off the fifth with his 10th home run into the left-field bleachers to bring FSU within 4-1. However, Jeroloman, McArthur and Leclerc blasted back-to-back-to-back solo homers for a 7-1 cushion in the bottom of the inning. Jeroloman connected on his seventh dinger to right field, McArthur followed with his second four-bagger of the year to left and Leclerc completed the trifecta with his 12th homer off the scoreboard overlooking right field. The last time Florida had swatted three-straight homers in an inning occurred on March 25, 1998, when David Ross, Derek Nicholson and Jason Dill accomplished the feat against Charleston Southern.
    Sophomore Matt LaPorta (Port Charlotte, Fla.) started the seventh with a base-hit up the middle off junior reliever Hunter Jones. Jeroloman then induced a four-pitch walk to put runners on first and second. After McArthur grounded into a fielder's choice for the first out of the inning, Leclerc also had a fielder's choice to second base. LaPorta scored on the play making the score 8-1, but as Seminole freshman shortstop Ryne Jernigan tried to finish off a double play, no one covered the bag at first and the throw bounced off the wall down the right-field line. Although Leclerc turned towards second and did not try to advance, first-base umpire Dave Buck allowed Jones to tag out Leclerc on the play to end the frame.
    Florida State tried to mount a comeback in the ninth inning as it drew a walk and recorded their seventh hit, a line drive by senior Aaron Cheesman up the middle. However, Boss got a ground ball out from freshman right fielder Jack Rye and then finished off the contest with a strikeout of Wardell.
    Three UF players registered multiple-hit outings, Corsaletti (2-for-5), Dickey (2-for-4) and McArthur (2-for-4). For the Seminoles, Jernigan led the way with two hits. Henry (9-3) yielded seven hits and seven runs with three strikeouts and a walk. Jones (2.0 IP, two hits, one run) and sophomore Brian Chambers (1.0 IP, one hit, one strikeout) also pitched for the Garnet and Gold.

2004 DNP Next 6/12
    2003 Season Over
    2002 Season Over
    2001 Season Over
    2000 Season Over
    1999 Season Over

• Like Like x 2
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1921 Babe Ruth becomes all time HR champ with #120
    1944 Joe Nuxhall, 15, of Cincinnati Reds is youngest player in major league
    1952 Chicago White Sox Sam Mele is 6th to get 6 RBIs in an inning
    1972 Hank Aaron's grandslammer (14) ties him for NL lead with Gil Hodges & moves him ahead of Willie Mays as #2 HR hitter (649)
    1974 Mike Schmidt hits a ball off public address speaker on Astrodome roof
    1979 Balt Orioles pull their 8th triple play (5-4-3 vs Cleve)
    1981 Pete Rose ties Stan Musial's NL record of 3,630 hits
    1986 A Bartlett Giamatti becomes president of baseball's NL
    1995 Orioles Jeff Manto, hits his 4th consecutive homer
    1997 Kevin Brown of Florida Marlins no hits SF Giants 9-0

BIRTHDAYS
    1910 Frank Demaree, American baseball player
    1947 Ken Singleton, baseball player (Orioles)
    1976 Freddy García, American baseball player

16. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/11/18 v Auburn TBD

6/11/17 L 6 - 8 Wake Forest / Wake Forest hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 11th inning to force a deciding Game 3 in the Gainesville Super Regional.
    The deciding Game 3 is scheduled to begin at 4:14 p.m. on ESPN2.
    Florida (46-18) battled from behind three times to tie the game, but Wake Forest (43-19) used four home runs to overpower the Gators.
    The Wake Forest offense struck early, batting around in the first inning to take a 4-0 lead.
    Entering the day, the Demon Deacons offense had a nation-high 101 home runs – the most in the new bat era by any team – and they showed their power in the first inning.
    Gavin Sheets and Ben Breazeale hit back-to-back home runs to right field to jump on top early.
    Not to be outdone, Deacon Liput showed off his power with a two-run shot over the right field bullpen onto Stadium Road, cutting the deficit to two runs.
    The offense kept chipping away and evened the game in the fifth inning. The Gators loaded the bases and Liput came through again with a RBI single to right field to cut the deficit to one.
    Dalton Guthrie hit sac fly to right center and Christian Hicks scored the tying run from third.
    Wake Forest displayed its power again in the bottom of the inning and retook the lead on a solo home run from Johnny Aiello that just cleared the right field wall.
    After the home run, the Demon Deacons had back-to-back singles and the Gators called on Austin Langworthy to take the mound with two outs.
    Before Langworthy could throw a pitch, the rains began to fall and the umpires halted play at 5:14 p.m.
    After nearly 2.5 inches of rain, NCAA representatives decided to suspend play until Monday afternoon.

When play resumed at 1:04 p.m. on Monday, Langworthy took the mound again to face leadoff hitter Jonathan Pryor with a pair of runners on base.
    Pryor lined a 2-2 pitch into center field, but Ryan Larson's throw home was on the mark and JJ Schwarz applied the tag after Wake Forest's Keegan Maronpot over slid the plate. The play was reviewed and upheld to keep the Deacons lead at one.
    Florida evened the game in its first opportunity. Nelson Maldonado drew a leadoff walk and Jonathan India's single put runners on the corners with nobody out.
    Langworthy's sac fly to left field tied the game at 5-5.
    The Gators made another pitching change in the seventh, bringing in freshman Kirby McMullen. Aiello rudely greeted him with his second home run of the day to give Wake a 6-5 lead.
    Head coach Kevin O'Sullivan went to the bullpen again and brought in another freshman, Tyler Dyson, who retired the next three batters in order.
    In the top of the eighth, Schwarz took the first pitch he saw and hit it into the parking lot beyond the left field bleachers to tie the game again.
    Neither team managed any offense until the 11th inning, when Wake Forest's Ben Breazeale hit a walk-off, two-run home run.

6/1/16 L 0-3 FSU/ GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The buzz entering the Gainesville Super Regional focused on Florida's deep and talented pitching staff.
    Florida State starter Drew Carlton must not have heard. Carlton pitched a two-hit shutout in Game 1 on Saturday night at McKethan Stadium to beat the Gators 3-0.
    Florida must now defeat FSU on back-to-back days for a return trip to the College World Series.

"He pitched a great game,'' Gators coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. "We just couldn't hit. We weren't sharp as we have been. But once again, the story of the game is Drew Carlton, he threw great."
    A sophomore right-hander from Lakeland, Carlton retired the final 19 batters he faced and allowed only two Gators to reach base all night -- Buddy Reed's single in the second inning and a Danny Reyes single in the third. Carlton struck out five and never faced a serious threat, throwing 84 of his 115 pitches for strikes.

The loss snapped Florida's five-game win streak over the Seminoles and marked the first time in school history the Gators (50-14) have been shut out at home in the NCAA Tournament. Carlton had allowed 91 hits in 84 2/3 innings prior to Saturday's outing.
    "Don't know when I've seen him pitch better, and he's been with us two years,'' FSU coach Mike Martin said. "It was a game that seemed that everything went our way. Our guys took advantage of opportunities."

Gators starter Alex Faedo was not as sharp as on Sunday when he clinched the Gainesville Regional for the Gators with eight shutout innings against Georgia Tech. Faedo walked home FSU's first run with the bases loaded in the fourth and threw 82 pitches in his shortest outing of the season.
    "Just too many pitches,'' he said.

Faedo was replaced by first-round pick Dane Dunning when he gave up a single to Matt Henderson to leadoff the fifth. FSU shortstop Taylor Walls hit Dunning's first pitch for an RBI double and FSU added another run in the inning on UF second baseman Deacon Liput's error covering first on a sacrifice bunt.
    Carlton did the rest.
    "They are definitely a team that feeds off stuff up in the zone, and staying down and having them roll balls for my defense was a key to my success,'' Carlton said. "It was definitely one of the most fun games I've ever pitched in."
    Still, the Gators will need more than two hits and no runs.
    "However you shake it, if Logan pitched tonight, we didn't score,'' O'Sullivan said. "It doesn't matter. You've got to score to have a chance. The series isn't over. No one is going to Omaha tonight."

6/11/15 DNP Next 6/13
    2014 Season Over
    2013 Season Over

6/11/12 DNP Next 6/15

6/11/11 L 3 - 4 Miss State / Senior Nick Vickerson delivered a game-winning two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth to lift Mississippi State (38-24) to a dramatic 4-3 victory over Florida (49-17) on Saturday afternoon in the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional at McKethan Stadium. With the Bulldogs' triumph, the teams will play a decisive game three tomorrow at 1 p.m. (ESPN) to determine which squad will advance to the 65th NCAA College World Series that begins next Saturday in Omaha, Neb.

With MSU trailing by a run and down to its final three outs, redshirt senior Jarrod Parks led off with a single through the left side off Gator junior reliever Nick Maronde (Lexington, Ky.). Sophomore Steven Rodriguez (Miami, Fla.) (3-2) was summoned from the bullpen and Vickerson (2-for-4, two runs) smacked the lefty's first pitch into the left-field bleachers to help the Bulldogs even the best-of-three series.
    I first want to compliment Mississippi State,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan. “They did what they needed to do in the last three innings. I felt like we played a really good game; we didn't give them anything. They just took advantage of their opportunities and you've got to tip your cap. It's just one of those things we knew wasn't going to be easy. It's never an easy road this time of the year and we've got plenty of pitching. We're looking forward to tomorrow.
    Junior Caleb Reed (1-1) threw 5.1 innings out of the bullpen, in which he allowed four hits and a run, to earn the decision. The right-hander came into the contest with Florida holding a 2-0 lead in fourth and had kept the Gators off the scoreboard until junior Tyler Thompson's (Tequesta, Fla.) two-out RBI triple in the eighth scored sophomore Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) for a 3-2 UF lead. Freshman starter Karsten Whitson (Chipley, Fla.) held Mississippi State scoreless until the seventh, when the Bulldogs plated two runs on four hits.

The Gators broke the ice in the third inning on a sacrifice fly by sophomore Nolan Fontana (Winter Garden, Fla.). Sophomore Cody Dent (Boynton Beach, Fla.) had opened the frame with an infield single, raising his hitting streak to a career-high three games, and senior Bryson Smith (Watkinsville, Fla.) (3-for-5) followed with a double into right center. Moments later, Fontana lofted his team-leading ninth sac fly into left field to bring in Dent with the opening run. Junior Nick Routt worked out of further trouble by having Zunino line out to shortstop and junior Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) ground out.
    In MSU's third at bat, senior Jonathan Ogden beat out an infield hit and moved to second on a bunt by senior Wes Thigpen. A grounder by Bradford advanced Ogden to third base but Whitson had senior Ryan Collins fly out to end the inning.
    Senior Josh Adams (Jacksonville, Fla.) (2-for-4) started the fourth with a homer over the wall in right center to provide the Gators with a 2-0 advantage. It was his sixth round-tripper of the campaign, fourth career NCAA Tournament big fly and his first dinger since May 13 at Vanderbilt. Junior Daniel Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) and redshirt sophomore Vickash Ramjit (Miami, Fla.) had consecutive one-out singles before Dent was retired on a pop-up in foul territory for the second out. Reed replaced Routt (3.2 IP, 7 H, 2 R) and Smith's infield single struck Pigott as he was running to third to complete the stanza.
    The Bulldogs rallied to tie the game with two runs on four hits in the seventh. After Ogden's single in the third, Whitson had retired 13-consecutive Mississippi State hitters before Vickerson had a one-out infield single to jump-start the offense. Senior Jaron Shepherd stroked a single through the right side for runners on the corners and senior Cody Freeman narrowed the gap to 2-1 with an RBI single into right field. Junior Tommy Toledo (Tampa, Fla.) took over for Whitson (6.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 6 K) and permitted a game-tying single up the middle by redshirt junior Brent Brownlee. The right-hander had Ogden hit into an inning-ending 5-3 double play to preserve the stalemate.

UF re-claimed the lead in the eighth on a two-out triple by Thompson to deep center field. Zunino began the inning with his team-leading 22nd double to straightaway center field and Reed had Tucker pop up behind the plate. A wild pitch enabled Zunino take third base and Reed answered with a strikeout of Adams. Thompson put the Gators back on top with his first triple of the campaign that barely eluded a leaping effort by Bradford. Ogden saved another potential Florida run with a diving stab of a flare by Pigott.
    Toledo had Thigpen pop up to Ramjit to start the bottom of the inning and Maronde came in and had Bradford fly out and Collins ground out to send the game to the ninth. Florida held an 11-7 advantage in hits today and did not commit any errors.

6/11/10 W 7 - 2 /Sophomore Alex Panteliodis (Tampa, Fla.) went the distance for his first career complete game and established a personal best with 12 strikeouts as No. 4 Florida (46-15) defeated No. 11 Miami (Fla.) (43-19), 7-2, in the opener of the best-of-three NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Friday night.

The crowd of 5,429 fans was a season high and the largest postseason attendance since McKethan Stadium was renovated prior to the 2007 season. The Gators will have an opportunity to clinch their first berth in next weekend's NCAA College World Series since 2005 with a victory tomorrow at 7 p.m., live on ESPN2.

Panteliodis (11-2) retired the final 14 Hurricane hitters of the contest and yielded three hits to register UF's first complete game since Stephen Locke accomplished the feat against Alabama on May 10, 2008. The southpaw's effort was the first complete game by a Gator pitcher in the NCAA Tournament since Tommy Boss twirled nine innings in an 8-1 triumph over Florida State in Game 1 of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on June 10, 2005.
    Obviously, it all started with Alex (Panteliodis) – he was outstanding,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “Anytime you have a pitcher throw a complete game in a three-game series, you have to feel good about your staff. We are rested and I think Alex had a career high for strikeouts. We jumped out to a three-run lead in the third and I think that is huge this time of year. We had the momentum and then the game shifted after they answered back and scored the two runs. We were able to get the momentum back on our side and it stayed with us for the rest of the game.

I talked to Alex after the eighth and told him he needed to close this game out so we could save our bullpen and he did. He only threw 116 pitches through nine complete innings, which is pretty good.”
    “I was mainly moving the fastball in and out,” Panteliodis said. “I went to the off-speed for a little bit early in the game and then it was mainly fastballs after that. My team was behind me the whole time and they kept me in the game, kept me feeling confident.”

UM freshman Frankie Ratcliff led off the game with a single into center field and was sacrificed to second by senior Scott Lawson. Panteliodis worked out of trouble by having junior Yasmani Grandal fly out and then caught sophomore Harold Martinez looking on strikes.

The Gators put two runners aboard in the bottom of the inning against senior David Gutierrez (5-3) but could not draw first blood. Senior Matt den Dekker (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) (1-for-5) sliced a one-out single through the left side and moved into scoring position on a passed ball. Sophomore Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) followed with his first of three walks and Gutierrez had freshman Austin Maddox (Jacksonville, Fla.) (1-for-5, two RBI) fly out and freshman Brian Johnson (Cocoa Beach, Fla.) (2-for-4) ground out to end the frame.
    UF plated three unearned runs with two out in the third on a bases-loaded infield single by Johnson and a two-run single by freshman Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) (1-for-4) with the sacks full. Senior Jonathan Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) (2-for-4, two runs) opened the frame with a base-hit and freshman Nolan Fontana (Winter Garden, Fla.) (1-for-3) moved him over with a sac bunt. Gutierrez had den Dekker fly out and issued his second walk of the game to Tucker. A fielding error by freshman shortstop Stephen Perez on a grounder by Maddox loaded the bases with two down and Johnson reached on a line drive single to short that brought across Pigott with the initial run. Zunino roped a single into left field that scored the duo of Tucker and Maddox for a 3-0 lead.

Miami countered with a two-run homer by Grandal in the fourth to pull within 3-2. Lawson started the inning with a single into right field and Grandal launched his 15th round-tripper of the year over the wall in right field.
    In the bottom of the inning, Florida answered with three runs on an RBI grounder by den Dekker and a two-run single by Maddox to build a 6-2 advantage. Sophomore Tyler Thompson (Tequesta, Fla.) (1-for-3, two runs) earned a free pass to begin the stanza and Pigott collected his second hit before Ratcliff misplayed Fontana's grounder at second base for an error that loaded the bags. den Dekker had a grounder to first base to bring in Thompson and Gutierrez jammed Tucker on an infield fly for the second out. Maddox came through with a two-run single up the middle that plated both Pigott and Fontana. Of his team-high 70 RBI this spring, 36 have come with two out in an inning.

After permitting a leadoff walk to freshman Michael Broad to start the fifth, Panteliodis had Perez hit into a 4-6-3 double play and had freshman Zeke DeVoss ground out. The lefty would set down every Miami batter the rest of the way.
    Gutierrez was replaced by senior Jason Santana prior to UF's fifth at bat after giving up seven hits and six runs, although just one was earned. Thompson provided the Gators with a 7-2 margin by cranking his fourth homer in the past two games over the 365-foot mark in right center field. It was his sixth big fly of the campaign and came with one down.

2009 Season Over
    2008 Season Over
    2007 Season Over
    2006 Season Over

6/11/2005 W 8 - 5 /In front of a McKethan Stadium record crowd of 5,698 fans on Saturday night, sixth-ranked Florida (45-20) used a two big offensive innings and a strong showing from junior starting pitcher Alan Horne (Marianna, Fla.) to defeat No.9 Florida State (53-20), 8-5. With the victory, the Gators claimed the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional, 2-0, sending them to the College World Series to Omaha for the first time in seven years. Florida will face Southeastern Conference rival Tennessee in its opening game on Friday at Rosenblatt Stadium.

Florida opened the scoring in the top of the first with four hits and four runs to chase FSU junior Mark Sauls. Sophomores Adam Davis (Fort Myers, Fla.) and Matt LaPorta (Port Charlotte, Fla.) poked back-to-back one-out singles and classmate Brian Jeroloman (Wellington, Fla.) stroked an RBI single into right to plate Davis with the first run. Following a run-scoring groundout by freshman Brandon McArthur (Seffner, Fla.), sophomore Brian Leclerc (Clearwater, Fla.) cranked his 13th homer of the campaign over the right-field fence for a 4-0 cushion. Junior Justin Tordi (Orlando, Fla.) was hit by a pitch, ending Sauls' time on the hill after two-thirds of an inning in favor of junior Matt DiBlasi.

The Seminoles countered with a run in the bottom of the frame on an RBI double to left center by senior Gibbs Chapman. Sophomore Shane Robinson had drawn a leadoff walk, stole second and advanced to third on a grounder by sophomore Ryne Malone. Following Chapman's 14th two-bagger of the season, Horne struck out senior Aaron Cheesman and induced a grounder by freshman Jack Rye to strand the runner.

Horne worked out of trouble in the second, as FSU had runners on the corners with one down but did not score. Senior Daniel Wardell started things off with a double to left and moved to third on a grounder by sophomore Josh Spivey. Horne plunked freshman Ryne Jernigan with a pitch but bounced back to catch freshman Tony Thomas, Jr., looking on strikes and had Robinson fly out to center.

Florida State trimmed the deficit to two runs in the third on a one-out double to the wall by Cheesman that scored Malone all the way from first base. Malone had punched a leadoff base-hit into left and Horne retired Chapman on a fly to left. Cheesman launched his 10th double over Leclerc's head in right before the right-hander fanned Wardell. A walk to Spivey loaded the bases with two down and Horne battled Jernigan for 10 pitches before registered an inning-ending strikeout.

The Gators capitalized on two FSU errors in the fourth to grab a 5-2 lead. Sophomore Stephen Barton (Miami, Fla.) reached on a fielding miscue by Thomas and moved into scoring position on a ground ball by sophomore Gavin Dickey (Tallahassee, Fla.). Senior Jeff Corsaletti's (Port Charlotte, Fla.) grounder to short eluded Jernigan to enable Barton to score UF's fifth run.

Back-to-back singles by Thomas and Robinson began the home portion of the fourth for the Seminoles and Malone executed a sacrifice bunt to put the runners at second and third. Tordi made a sliding catch on a foul pop-up by Chapman, allowing Thomas to score from third. However, McArthur cut off the throw to the plate and beat Robinson to the bag at third to close the stanza and keep the count at 5-3 for the Gators.

UF's bid to add another run in the fifth was stymied when Jeroloman was gunned down at the plate attempting to score from first on a two-out double by Leclerc. Leclerc sent a ball down the right-field line that Rye scooped up and threw to Thomas, who delivered a perfect strike to Cheesman at the dish to erase a sliding Jeroloman.

The Gators pushed across three more runs in the sixth to seize an 8-3 advantage. Tordi sliced a leadoff single into left to start the frame and Barton legged out a bunt before Dickey roped an RBI double into right center for a 6-3 Florida advantage that prompted a pitching change. DiBlasi worked a season-high 4.1 innings, giving up six hits and four runs (three earned) with four strikeouts. Junior Barret Browning had Corsaletti ground out to short and Davis followed with a two-run double down the left-field line for an 8-3 lead to bring in sophomore Tyler Chambliss. After Davis was thrown out attempting to steal third base, the reliever hit LaPorta in the back and walked Jeroloman. McArthur flew out to complete the stanza.

Horne held the Seminoles hitless thru the sixth, seventh, and eight innings and then retired Jernigan on a ground ball to short to lead off the ninth. Thomas broke the hitless streak by sending a fastball over the left-field fence to bring the Seminoles within four. Horne walked leadoff batter Robinson on five pitches to end his night. The right-hander went 8.1 innings, giving up eight hits while striking out eight to collect his eighth-straight decision to improve to 9-2.

Senior Mike Pete (Brandon, Fla.), relieved Horne and got Robinson to line out to center field for the second out of the inning. Chapman kept the Seminole season alive by lining a fastball into right field to put runners on first and second. Pat McMahon made his second pitching change of the inning, bringing in senior Connor Falkenbach (Parkland, Fla.), who gave up a bloop single into left field off the bat of Cheesman. Robinson came into score from second base making the score 8-5. Falkenbach fell behind Rye two balls and no strikes before Rye grounded out to first to punch the Gators' first ticket to Omaha since 1998. Falkenbach recorded his ninth save of the year in getting the final out and the Gators erupted out of the dugout and the bullpen to dog pile between the pitcher's mound and first base.

Five different Gators came through with two hits apiece: Davis (2-for-5, two RBI), Jeroloman (2-for-4), Leclerc (2-for-5, two RBI), Barton (2-for-4, two runs) and Dickey (2-for-3). Chapman, Cheesman and Thomas chipped in with two hits apiece.

2004 DNP Next 6/12
    2003 Season Over
    2002 Season Over
    2001 Season Over
    2000 Season Over
    1999 Season Over

• Like Like x 2
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Our Regional and Super Regional of 2005 will always be my favorite two trips to Gainesville--

Alex Panteliodis's (11-2) first complete game in the 2010 Super Regional vs Miami with 12 K's was a gem--

• Like Like x 2
  18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1904 Cubs' Bob Wicker no-hits NY Giants, wins in 12th on 1 hitter, 1-0
    1911 Tigers trailing White Sox 13-1 come back to win 16-15
    1927 Babe Ruth hits 19th and 20th of 60 HRs
    1938 Cincinnati Red Johnny Vander Meer no-hits Boston Braves, 3-0
    1961 Roger Maris hits 19th & 20th of 61 HRs
    1967 Chicago Cubs (7) & NY Mets (4) tie record of 11 HRs in a game
    1981 Mariners beat Orioles 8-2 at Kingdome, then players go on strike
    1988 Yanks' Rick Rhoden becomes 1st pitcher to DH (0 for 1 with an RBI)
    1990 Nolan Ryan pitches his 6th no-hitter beating Oakland, in 9th he retires Ken Phelps, Rickey Henderson & Willie Randolph (all ex Yanks)
    1992 US Olympic baseball team plays 1st exhibtion game, beat Venez 20-0

BIRTHDAYS
    1879 Roger Bresnahan, baseball player

19. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    6/12/17 W 3-0 Wake Forest/ GAINESVILLE, Fla.—It was a fitting finish to the Gainesville Super Regional, as Florida ace Alex Faedo recorded the final six outs to send the Gators to the College World Series on the same night he was selected in the first round of the MLB Draft.
    Florida (47-18) shut out the potent Wake Forest (43-20) as three pitchers combined to limit the Demon Deacons to just four hits in UF's 3-0 win on Monday night.
    With the win, the Gators advance to the College World Series for the third year in a row and sixth time in the past eight seasons. This will be UF's 11th trip to the CWS in school history with the past six coming under head coach Kevin O'Sullivan.
    TCU, Florida's next opponent (Sunday, 7 p.m. ET), has made five CWS appearances since 2010. No other team in the nation has made more than three trips to Omaha in that span.
    Sophomore Brady Singer started the winner-take-all, Game 3 of the Super Regional and pitched two shutout innings before the skies opened and the rains came down.
    After the delay, freshman Tyler Dyson took over and had a career-long outing, throwing five shutout innings before handing the ball to Faedo to start the ninth inning.
    JJ Schwarz provided the big blast at the plate, delivering a two-run homer into the left field parking lot that gave
    Florida a 3-0 lead after three innings, which would prove to be more than enough.
    FLORIDA POSTGAME QUOTES
    Head Coach Kevin O'Sullivan Opening Statement
    : "First of all, I want to congratulate Wake Forest, they had a heck of a year. That was a very difficult lineup to get through. They battled us tooth and nail, they're very tough, well coached. It was a difficult weekend with the rain, both teams had to deal with it. Brady and Alex only got six innings [each] in this weekend so we had to have some other guys step up and they did. Obviously Tyler Dyson today was really, really good and gave us exactly what we needed. We had Alex for just two innings and that was it. I'm really happy that he was the one to be able to get the last out of the game. JJ's been getting hot swinging the bat, he's been swinging the bat really good for the last month and a half, two months. Dalton had a really good day offensively, Deacon Liput had a really good weekend – probably the best weekend he's had in a while. It's a lot of fun. I'm happy for the players, I'm happy for our staff, I'm happy for everybody involved in our program. I really appreciate our fans sticking around through the rain delays. It's not easy with all the rain that happened. Once again, it's all about these guys to my right and the other guys in the locker room. They're the ones that go play and put in all the hard work and I'm awfully proud of them. Looking forward to taking these guys out to Omaha."
    On facing a lineup that can turn a game on one pitch:
    "Well I don't think the word is can, they did. They hit quite a few home runs and they're strong and physical and older. It was just an unfortunate situation with the rain. Alex, he was on point on Saturday night and so was Brady. The biggest thing I think about getting through Wake's lineup was you just have to have good stuff. I think that 88-90 stuff was not going to work. We were fortunate in the first game with Langworthy, we got the guy thrown out at the plate and then there was a ball that ricocheted off and Dalton made a great play. Things could have gotten out of hand there in a hurry. During the rain delay in the second game, there was no choice but to go to Tyler. Really, we were hoping to get three innings out of him and then maybe piece it together with Milchin, Rubio and Horvath and try to get to the eighth. But he kept throwing the ball well and we kept running him back out there."
    On going to Omaha with this team:
    "I take numbers and throw them out the window at this point. Virginia a couple years ago was one of the last teams in and ended up winning it. I remember Vandy won it in 2013 and I think they finished sixth in our league. All the numbers are out the window at this point. It's all about winning, and we've won a lot of tough games, a lot of ugly wins. But an ugly win is better than a pretty loss, I know that."
    Junior 1B JJ Schwarz On the home run in the third inning:
    "I knew the situation, a runner on second, no outs. I know the coaches wanted me to pull the ball because there's two different things you can do, get the runner over or you can bait them into giving you a pitch to hit. They wanted me to bait him so that's what I was trying to do. They came in there with two strikes and I just reacted and put a good swing on it and luckily got it up in the air."

6/12/16 W 5-0 FSU/ Logan Shore needed only one inning to show what was in store in his final outing at McKethan Stadium. And Florida's lineup, shut out the previous night, needed only one inning to push the winning run home.
    Shore struck out the side in the first and never let up, tossing eight shutout innings in Florida's 5-0 win over Florida State on Sunday night in Game 2 of the Gainesville Super Regional. Shore's gem kept the Gators' season alive and forced Game 3 on Monday for a trip to the College World Series.
    A night after FSU's Drew Carlton stymied the Gators, Shore returned the favor in a game that was delayed 3 hours, 12 minutes due to inclement weather. Shore allowed only four baserunners, two hits and struck out nine, one shy of his career high set on March 18 in a victory over Missouri. The shutout was the first for the Gators in school history in a super regional.
    "He threw the ball great,'' Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. "Very similar to last night. We got shut out and then tonight obviously some things went our way. Winner tomorrow moves on. We're excited about that opportunity."
    In his 22nd outing since the start of last year's SEC Tournament, Shore won his 17th consecutive decision and improved to 12-0 with a 2.08 ERA this season. The junior right-hander was Oakland's second-round draft pick on Thursday and ran to the mound in the ninth as the fans applauded another clutch outing. He departed after walking Taylor Walls to leadoff the inning. Shore threw a season-high 114 pitches (78 strikes) and left to a standing ovation from what remained of the announced crowd of 5,326.
    "That was a pretty special moment,'' he said. "That gave me chills running out there for the ninth. That's something I will remember for the rest of my life."
    Shore retired 24 of the 28 batters he faced, including 12 in a row after John Sansone's one-out single in the first. Shore liked his chances to force a Game 3 prior to his first pitch Sunday.
    "After watching them last night, I thought my stuff matched up pretty well with the lefties in the lineup,'' he said. "I thought what it came down to was I located my fastball extremely well down in the zone. They just didn't seem comfortable the whole night."
    "He's beautiful. He just carved us up,'' FSU coach Mike Martin said.
    After managing only two hits in Game 1, Florida (51-14) had 10 hits in Game 2 and grabbed an early lead when Peter Alonso doubled home a run off FSU starter Tyler Holton. Alonso picked up another RBI in the third on a ground out to shortstop that scored Dalton Guthrie, who singled to lead off the inning and then advanced to third on a pair of wild pitches by Holton.
    The early runs got the crowd into the game and provided a jolt of confidence.
    "Yesterday was a difficult game for us. Anytime you get shut out, you just try to get some sort of momentum,'' O'Sullivan said. "It was important for us to get on the board early. You are playing against a very, very good team. Every run counts. You just try to distance yourself."
    Still nursing a 2-0 lead in the eighth, Gators freshman second baseman Deacon Liput stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and two outs. Liput lined a single down the first-base line to score a pair of runs and provide the Gators a four-run cushion. JJ Schwarz drove home UF's final run with an RBI double in the ninth, which scored Alonso.
    Alonso was the offensive star, going 3-for-4 with three doubles, a walk, two RBIs and two runs.
    "It's an elimination game. You've got to put your heart and soul into it and give it all you got," Alonso said. "Getting on the board and giving the team a jump-start in the first inning set the tone for the ballgame. I feel like that really helped the energy in the dugout and the mentality for the rest of the game."

6/12/15 Next 6/13 Miami
    6/12/14 Season Over
    6/12/13 Season Over
    6/12/12 Next 6/16 CWS So Carolina

6/12/11 W 8 - 6 Miss State/ Junior Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) clubbed a three-run homer in the seventh inning to turn a 6-4 deficit into an eventual 8-6 victory for Florida (50-17) over Mississippi State (38-25) in game three of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional on Sunday afternoon.
    The victory secured the Gators' seventh trip to the NCAA College World Series (1988, 1991, 1996, 1998, 2005, 2010, 2011) and marked the first time that the program had made consecutive trips to Omaha. UF will face the winner's of tonight's deciding third game between host Texas (48-17) and Arizona State (43-17) at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha either next Saturday or Sunday in the opening round of the CWS.
    I think it was one of the best games that I have been involved with,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said.” Both teams were competing, and both teams were throwing as hard as they could. Both teams made plays and came up with key hits in certain situations. It's just one of those things where we just got a couple more runs.”
    It was just an emotional game,” O'Sullivan continued. “It was an emotional game for the players and it was an emotional game for me. And like I said, I probably learned more about coaching in the last 24 hours than I probably have in the last four years.”
    The Gators used a season-high five homers, their most in a game since six against Florida Atlantic on June 6, 2010, to account for their eight runs this afternoon. Florida jumped out to a 4-0 lead on a solo homer by sophomore Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) (2-for-4) in the first inning and back-to-back homers by junior Daniel Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) (3-for-3, three RBI, two homers) and redshirt sophomore Vickash Ramjit (Miami, Fla.) in the second inning. The Bulldogs narrowed the gap to 4-3 in the fourth on a three-run blast by Saturday's hero, senior Nick Vickerson (2-for-5, four RBI), and used three two-out runs in the seventh to take a 6-4 lead.
    Freshman Daryl Norris replaced freshman Taylor Stark at the outset of UF's seventh at bat and walked both senior Bryson Smith (Watkinsville, Ga.) and sophomore Nolan Fontana (Winter Garden, Fla.) to start the frame. Junior Caleb Reed (1-2) was summoned from the bullpen and Zunino laid down a sacrifice bunt to push his teammates into scoring position. Tucker (2-for-3) then cranked a three-run homer to straightaway center field to give Florida a 7-6 lead. It was the 40th homer of his career, 14th of the campaign and was the eighth of his career in NCAA Tourney action to set a school record. Now with 202 RBI, Tucker also joined the 200-RBI club at Florida, along with Brad Wilkerson (214, 1996-98) and Matt LaPorta (206, 2004-07).
    Pigott provided the Gators with a valuable insurance run in the eighth with a leadoff homer to left center off sophomore Chris Stratton, marking the first time he had a pair of dingers in the same contest. Redshirt junior Tommy Toledo (Tampa, Fla.) (6-3) retired the first two Bulldogs in the ninth before having Vickerson fly out to left field to trigger a wild celebration on the field. Over 2.1 innings, Toledo allowed two hits and two runs to pick up the victory.
    After junior Alex Panteliodis (Tampa, Fla.) set down the Bulldogs in order to start the game, Zunino opened the scoring with a two-out solo homer over the wall in left center off sophomore Luis Pollorena. It was his team-leading 18th homer, his third in the NCAA Tournament and his third against Mississippi State this season.
    The Gators used back-to-back homers by Pigott and Ramjit to build a 4-0 lead in the second inning. Junior Tyler Thompson (Tequesta, Fla.) extended his hitting streak to seven games with a one-out single and Pigott delivered a two-run homer into the left-field bleachers for a three-run margin. His fourth homer of the season was his second of the Super Regional. Ramjit followed with a solo blast of his own, his first homer of the campaign, marking the third time this season that the Gators had gone yard twice in a row. Zunind senior Josh Adams (Jacksonville, Fla.) went back-to-back in the second inning at USF on March 9 and Tucker and Zunino accomplished the feat in the second inning against Manhattan in the NCAA Tourney opener on June 3.

6/12/10 W 4 - 3 Miami/ Freshman Austin Maddox (Jacksonville, Fla.) delivered a two-out RBI double in the top of the 10th inning to drive in freshman Nolan Fontana (Winter Garden, Fla.) with what proved to be the winning run as No. 4 Florida (47-15) upended No. 11 Miami (Fla.) (43-20), 4-3, in front of a school-record crowd of 5,783 fans on Saturday night at McKethan Stadium. The victory in Game 2 of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional secured the Gators' sixth trip to the College World Series, first since 2005, for what will be the final event at Rosenblatt Stadium.
    After Florida had tied the game in the top of the ninth on a two-out throwing error by the Hurricanes that would have ended the game, junior right fielder Chris Pelaez then misplayed Fontana's fly ball to right field to start the 10th, resulting in Fontana reaching second base. The miscue was Miami's seventh of the contest. Sophomore Daniel Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) advanced Fontana into scoring position with a sacrifice bunt and sophomore Daniel Miranda (5-3) had sophomore Preston Tucker (Tampa, Fla.) hit a grounder for the second out. Maddox stepped to the plate and ripped a double down the right-field line to put the Gators on top, 4-3. It was his 16th two-bagger of the campaign and boosted his team-leading RBI total to 71, 37 of which have come with two outs.
    Pelaez began the bottom of the inning with a flare into left center and sophomore Thomas Powers was inserted as a pinch runner. A sacrifice bunt by sophomore Nathan Melendres (1-for-4, three RBI) pushed Powers to second base and sophomore Greg Larson (Longwood, Fla.) was called in to replace freshman Steven Rodriguez (Miami, Fla.) (2-0), who gave up two hits over one inning of work. The right-hander caught freshman Michael Broad looking on strikes and then had sophomore Rony Rodriguez ground out to Fontana at shortstop, who fired a bullet across the diamond to Tucker at first base for the final out. Larson collected his third save by setting down both batters he faced.
    Well, there are just under 300 teams that set out to get to Omaha at the beginning of the season,” head coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. “It's the very pinnacle of college baseball. I'm awfully proud of our players. It's tough to get there and this game proved that tonight. I thought Chris Hernandez was outstanding for Miami on the mound tonight. We've been seeing him for three years and that's by far his best performance against us. He was moving the ball in and out, throwing strikes. You could tell from the first inning he was going to be really sharp. On the other hand, I thought Hudson Randall matched him pitch-for-pitch. Our bullpen did absolutely outstanding. (Kevin) Chapman has been lights out for us all season, aside from the one hit tonight, but even now, I wouldn't change the call to put him in even if I could go back and do it. (Jeff) Barfield came kept battling as well in the eighth and from there on out we were great. This time in the year the whole goal is to score one more run than the other team and we were fortunate enough to do that tonight.”
    Florida seized a 1-0 lead in the fifth on a sacrifice fly into center field by freshman Brian Johnson (Cocoa Beach, Fla.) (1-for-3, two RBI) that brought home senior Matt den Dekker (Ft. Lauderdale. Fla.) (1-for-2, three walks, two runs). den Dekker had opened the inning with a bunt single, Florida's first hit off junior Chris Hernandez, that extended his hitting streak to seven games. Freshman Mike Zunino (Cape Coral, Fla.) laid down a bunt that Hernandez fielded and threw wide of second base for an error. den Dekker was interfered with on the play and was awarded third base, while Zunino occupied first. Johnson's second sac fly to straightaway center field plated den Dekker with the opening run of the contest.
    Freshman Hudson Randall (Atlanta, Ga.) retired the first two batters in the home part of the inning and den Dekker made a spectacular diving grab in center field on a liner hit by Broad to close the stanza.
    Johnson came through with a clutch two-out RBI single in the seventh that gave the Gators a 2-0 advantage. den Dekker had drawn a one-out walk, his second free pass of the game, and advanced into scoring position on a grounder by Zunino. Moments later, Johnson roped a 1-2 offering from Hernandez into right center to drive in den Dekker. The base-hit raised his hitting streak to a career-high nine games.
    In the bottom of the inning, Melendres connected on a three-run homer off junior Kevin Chapman (Coral Springs, Fla.) to give the Hurricanes a 3-2 lead. Freshman Frankie Ratcliff had led off with an infield single, ending a run of 12-straight batters that Randall had retired. The right-hander answered by having junior Yasmani Grandal pop up to Fontana but Pelaez followed with a single and Ratliff went to third when Daniel Pigott bobbled the ball in right field. With runners on the corners, Chapman was summoned to replace Randall, who yielded three singles and notched five strikeouts over 6.2 innings. Melendres launched his ninth homer over the right-field fence to give UM its first lead of the series
    Senior Jeff Barfield (Perry, Ga.) took over for Chapman (0.1 IP) in the eighth and retired the side in order. With the Gators down to their final three outs, Tucker began the ninth with a single through the left side and Hernandez had Maddox fly out to center. den Dekker drew another walk for a pair of runners aboard and Hernandez (8.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 1 ER) was replaced by Miranda. The left-hander had Zunino ground out to third but Broad committed a throwing error to load the bases with one out. The reliever caught Johnson looking on strikes and had junior Josh Adams (Jacksonville, Fla.) ground out to short. However, Perez had an errant throw over to first base that enabled Tucker to score the tying run. Miranda fanned senior Jonathan Pigott (Ormond Beach, Fla.) to leave the bases full.

6/12/09 Season Over
    6/12/08 Season Over
    6/12/07 Season Over
    6/12/06 Season Over

6/12/05 DNP Next CWS Tenn 6/17

6/12/04 L 7 - 8 Miami/ A furious eighth inning rally wasn't enough as the University of Florida baseball team (43-21) couldn't overcome five costly errors as the Gators fell 8-7 to host Miami in game one of Super Regional action Saturday. Florida led 4-2 but Miami scored six unanswered runs that were all unearned against Florida starting pitcher Justin Hoyman.
    Game two will take place at Mark Light Stadium at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday. Florida will send RHP Connor Falkenbach (10-6) to the mound to face Miami RHP Cesar Carrillo (10-0).
    The Gators rallied with three runs in the eighth but left the tying run stranded at second in the defeat. UF would not threaten in the ninth as the Gators would be retired in order against Hurricane closer Danny Gil who struck out three in one and a third innings of work. The save for Gil was his fifth of the season.
    Hoyman would take the loss to fall to 11-2 on the season as the recently drafted junior gave up 10 hits and eight runs (two earned) with a walk and three strikeouts in seven innings of work. Ricky Orta would pick up the win in relief of Miami starter J.D. Cockroft who would last 5 and 1/3 innings in getting the no decision. Orta would get just two outs but ran his record to 2-0 on the season.
    Miami scored three runs in the deciding seventh inning as a pair of throwing error on bunts led to the big Miami inning. After a single by Jon Jay, Hoyman fielded a sac bunt attempt but the ball slipped out of his hand allowing Adam Ricks to be safe at first. On a second straight pitch to Ryan Braun, Hoyman would field a second bunt and throw the ball over Jonathan Tucker's head at third allowing the first run of the inning to score. A sacrifice fly by Brian Barton and fielder's choice groundout would plate the final two runs as the damage was done and Miami clung to the 8-4 advantage.
    Florida would storm back in the top of the eighth as a leadoff double from Brian Leclerc was followed by Florida's third home run of the contest. Justin Tordi would do the damage as he lined his fourth round tripper of the season off the scoreboard in left field. With the bases clear, Jonathan Tucker would restart the rally with his single to left center. After Tucker moved ahead on a bunt, C.J. Smith would provide a double to the right center gap scoring Tucker and putting Florida within a run. Miami would bring on Gil at that point in the game as the closer got a strikeout to end the inning.
    Florida fell behind early as the first Miami batter of the contest in Jon Jay hit a solo shot to left field on a low and away pitch from Hoyman.
    Florida would threaten against Cockroft in the second but came away empty. The Gators would take the lead in the following inning as the top of the Florida order came through.
    Jeff Corsaletti led off the second with a single, which was followed by a double from Matt LaPorta. Florida would not cross the plate as Cockroft benefited from a pickoff and then got a strikeout and groundout to end the inning.
    After the first out of the third Tucker ripped a double down the left field line. He immediately came home as Adam Davis tied the score with his single to left center. After a walk, Ben Harrison put Florida ahead with his single to left field. Florida would load the bases with one out as Corsaletti was hit by pitch but a ground ball double play ended the inning.
    Miami would tie the contest at two in the bottom of the inning as a pair of singles put two runners aboard. Ricks would then lift a fly ball sacrifice to center that plated Roger Tomas with the tying run.
    A pair of solo home runs then put Florida ahead by two runs at 4-2 after four and a half inning. Two Gator freshmen hit the long balls for the two run cushion. Leclerc hit the solo shot to left center in the third and LaPorta pulled a home run down the left field line in the fifth.
    The Hurricanes would then score six runs in the fifth through the seventh innings. All six runs in those innings were unearned against Hoyman as Florida had five errors in those three frames.
    Miami tied the score in the bottom of the fifth with two runs and then took the 5-4 lead in the sixth. In the fifth Ricks hit an RBI single that scored Richard Giannotti who had reached on a fielding error. Tomas later came home to tie the score after he singled on a sacrifice fly from Braun.
    Tucker would finish 4-for-5 with a double and two runs scored to lead the Florida attack. All nine Gator starters in the batting order had base hits, as UF would finish with 15 hits.
    Jay and Tomas had three hits and score twice each for Miami who had 11 hits in the contest.

6/12/03 Season Over
    6/12/02 Season Over
    6/12/01 Season Over
    6/12/00 Season Over
    6/12/99 Season Over

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    1880 John Lee Richmond pitches 1st major league perfect game, Worcester 1, Cleveland's Forest City 0
    1922 St Louis Brown Hub Pruett strikes out Babe Ruth 3 straight times
    1922 St Louis gets record 10 hits in a row & beats Phillies 14-8
    1928 NY Yankee Lou Gehrig hits 2 triples & 2 HRs to beat White Sox 15-7
    1939 Baseball Hall of Fame opens in Cooperstown, NY
    1950 Connie Mack named Honorary Manager of the All-Star Game
    1954 Milwaukee Braves Jim Wilson no-hits Phillies, 2-0
    1957 Stan Musial plays in 823rd game (new NL consecutive-game streak)
    1959 SF Giants Mike McCormick no-hits Phillies, 3-0 in 5 inning game
    1961 An ailing Bill Veeck sells his interest in White Sox to Arthur Allyn
    1967 Washington Senators beat Chicago White Sox 6-5 in 22 innings
    1970 Pitts Pirate Doc Ellis no-hits San Diego Padres, 2-0
    1975 Hank Aaron's 1st HR in Milwaukee since 1965
    1979 Tigers fire manager Les Moss, hiring Sparky Anderson
    1981 Baseball players begin a 50 day strike, their 3rd strike
    1990 NY Yankee reliever Dave Righetti becomes 9th to record 200 saves
    1990 Oakland A's Rickey Henderson becomes 2nd to steal 900 bases
    1990 Orioles Cal Ripken plays in his 1,308th consecutive game to move past Everett Scott into 2nd place on the all-time list
    1990 NY Mets beat Chicago Cubs 19-8 at Wrigley Field, Cubs outfielder Doug Dazcenzo pitched a scoreless 9th inning
    1997 1st ever baseball inter-league game SF Giants beat Texas Rangers 4-3

BIRTHDAYS
    1941 Marv Albert, American "Yes!" sportscaster
    1968 Scott Aldred, pitcher (Minnesota Twins)
    1970 Damon Buford, outfielder (Texas Rangers)
    1971 Ryan Klesko, outfielder (Atlanta Braves)
    1972 Scott Dawes, Australian baseball catcher
    1974 Hideki Matsui, baseball player