Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bathroom controversy

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ATLGATORFAN, Jun 5, 2023.

1. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That's a pretty flimsy excuse to fall back on after needing zero confirmed evidence of that "IF IF IF" to casually misgender Ms. Mangual repeatedly in this thread. You should be able to see why your follow-up attempts at seeming more considerate and respectful look dubious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Because you apparently were defending a standard based on whether someone "looks like a man." You were at minimum using that as a way of attacking the standard of "being a man," so I think it's fair to ask what it means to "look like a man."

3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    When discussing policy and rule-making, "respectfulness" and "politeness" both take a back seat to the truth.

You want to try and satisfy all of them when you can, but when push comes to shove, you have to prioritize one over the others.

And to me, that's not a hard choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Fair. We are all acting on assumptions here.

I am talking much more relatively in the conversation here. This story opens up a can of hypotheticals. The actual factsof this specific case arent really material to what the bigger discussion is. This just shines light.

But I agree. Your point is fair. I made assumptions.

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    People act like Jesus was this relativistic completely non-judgmental figure.

The point of Jesus's unconditional kindness towards sinners isn't that sinners were equally correct, or that their personal self-perception is "a truth" worthy of equal validation... the point is that people are incredibly flawed and Jesus loves all of them anyways.

It doesn't mean to pretend that all flaws aren't flaws.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but that's a much different level of problem than flashing the goods. Would you agree?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. tilly

Every "misgenderring" isnt intentional. You do understand that most society's, including ours will call people born with penises "he" right? It's been that way for centuries/millennia.

It's like the far left thinks up new ways to rock the boat. How do you all breathe the thin air on your self made high horses?

Well thats a stupid response because you know I think Jesus was to the moderate left. I've said it many times.

He would be an alien in our political nonsense.

8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If a prostitute asked Jesus "is her lifestyle was equally good," Jesus would prioritize truth over politeness.

He would love her anyways, but he wouldn't tell her "yes, your lifestyle is just as morally good as people who get married and have children."

Being "good" is a lot more important than being "nice" and sometimes, they are at odds with each other.

9. tilly

My "attempts" play out in real life. Not a message board. The stories of my personal experiences (best friends daughter being trans) are well documented here.

The article/tweet in the OP said "He" . So I started doing it. It never crossed my mind that that word was even viewed as problematic in this thread until the same suspect started with the whole same misgenderring mantra.

10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Be honest, though. This was not the reason you gave for referring to the person as "he."

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I mean flashing someone is a problem no matter who does it, but I suspect that isnt really what people mean a lot of times here. Like simply undressing in a locker room isnt 'flashing.' A lot of what annoys me about this debate is people intentionally making pretty normal things unseemly or lurid to muddy the waters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Sigh. Tilly, you persisted in misgendering her in this thread, and when I called you on it, you told me that you don't care (which was a shot at a previous post of mine, I get it) and then justified why it's okay to intentionally misgender trans people. Now, we're supposed to believe that it was unintentional? C'mon, man.

People don't walk around with a card on their forehead that says, "I was born with a penis." When somebody makes an honest error, I get it. I'm not perfect. I sometimes get people's pronouns wrong. But I correct my mistake when I become aware of it. And people are forgiving.

13. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    oh the horror of misgendering! Tilly we’re sure to burn for it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If you want to intentionally misgender trans people, that's your choice. I'll have a negative opinion of you, but I doubt you care. Just don't tell me it's unintentional when it is clearly not.

15. tilly

I was honest. I said I did it based on assumptions. Post #204.

16. tilly

It was unintentional at first.
    I continued when you accused me of "misgenderring" and told me you "don't care". I was really pushing your buttons and being petty after that.

I was grumpy yesterday. ;):cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Um, "treating people with compassion" shouldn't include allowing them to violate women's privacy or make women feel violated. I'd say that's pretty destructive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    I miss gendered someone at the McD’s drive through speaker yesterday.

• Funny Funny x 1