Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Basesball vs. Army, Sat 6/1, 1:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, May 31, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Well done everyone!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL

As good as his change up was today 84 mph might have been enough.

Added in edit: My youngest showed up to see some of the game and I bet him that the next pitch would be 84 mph. He said "Whoa. Good call!" LOL. Too bad I wasn't at a bar and could have won a bar bet.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Here is hoping for several lightning delays and lots of extra innings for the Texas Tech/Dallas Baptist game. Maybe with a restart tomorrow morning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The radar gun is in use at the Corvallis Regional.......

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I am listening but not looking.

Is every pitch 84 mph?

8. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Can I get an amen brother. You Sir hit the nail on the head jack should have been pulled after the third or fourth and he could’ve pitched again very soon after throwing away 45 or 50 pitches. Heck even at 60 pitches this time of year could have went again Monday for 2-3 ip.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I would start Pogue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The radar gun is in use at the Corvallis Regional.......
    No—it’s working correctly.

11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    So you are saying that every pitch isn't 84 mph?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Shane—

I’ve got to disagree with you here. Outing to outing honestly you never know what you’re gonna get—that said, when somebody is “on” like Jack was today I have a hard time shutting him down. There’s mindset, the unknown physical rebound, just rolling the dice with zero guarantees, and regardless of the current score you’re talking about putting your season into the hands of an unreliable bullpen.

I got to let Jack go right there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree with 74Nole.

Jack is a starter. You don't save a starter for a couple of innings unless you want to use him in the last game of the season for the ultimate win. Otherwise he is screwed up for his next start.

I was hoping that our bullpen would have closed this out with authority to give our guys a great feeling going forward.

Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And in case no one noticed, we saw what can happen with our pen in the 9th....that wasn't an unusual event. One can only imagine the screaming if we pull Jack to save him for Monday and then watch the pen blow a lead.By the time we had a comfortable lead (for this team) Jack was already burned.
    I can accept the argument of starting Pogue vs Army, but he lays an egg and we never hear the end of it from the second guessers.
    If we can force an if necessary game then Mace should be available to throw.....but let's worry about that Monday

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think that we throw Pogue tomorrow unless Sully knows something about Dyson that we don't know.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I didn't mind giving up some runs in the ninth inning. What I minded was not throwing strikes in that situation. You could almost throw batting practice pitches and still win. Why not throw strikes?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Two competing philosophies:

Sully's philosophy (old school): Survive and advance, don't worry about tomorrow when you're only guaranteed today. Figure out your hodge podge for either DBU's #3 or TTU's #3, but worst case scenario, if you shoot yourself in the foot because you've got nobody to throw tomorrow night, there's no shame in this year's team going 2-2 in this regional.

Big picture philosophy: You have to win 4 games to win the regional, look at Army, DBU's #3, TTU's #3, and then a Game 7. You're not very likely to throw Leftwich against Army, but you are also willing to not throw Leftwich at all if things don't go the right way.

I think people are not comfortable with the big picture philosophy because they don't want to answer the question of "Why didn't you pitch Leftwich?" Of course the obvious answer is because you're not playing to win "1 game" you're playing to win a total of 4 games.

There's also a momentum perspective and an experience perspective that goes with the old school philosophy. If you beat Army, then you are guaranteed an extra game of experience for the team and for some pitchers. Giving your best shot against Army maximizes your chances of getting that extra game of regional experience...doesn't mean you're giving up on the regional, just punting the "oh $#!t what are we going to do now" problem down the road. It also gives some young guys the chance to step up in a bigger situation than just facing Army...better experience, and what a confidence boost THAT could potentially be. No wrong answer here, my preference would be the big picture approach, but I get the old school approach.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    So what do you do?

19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wanted to see us save Jack for tomorrow. To me, roll the dice against Army, if we can't get past Army with Johnny W then it wasn't going to be a plan for success against TTU-3 or DBU-3 anyway. That said, I'm down with the extra challenge. Opportunity to step up for, probably, several guys. That's what you play for.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    They just clarified on the Georgia game that the NCAA doesn’t allow trackman and Georgia uses trackman for their radar gun so no readings for that game either.