Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. Yale, Sun 3/10, 1:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Mar 9, 2019.

1. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Amen , set the bar a bit high. I didn’t get to throw to Bobby Salter though

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

John,

It did seem that Cali chased breaking pitches and was out of sync today at the plate—

The HP umpire today was the same one that tossed him and Sully in Jax last week—with Wil’s current struggles at the plate I personally think Sully chose to defuse a potential situation that could derail Wil’s best interests in the coming weeks, but that’s just me—

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I can’t say I have ever tracked this but FGCU is 11th in ERA (in the country). UCF and Long Beach St are tied for 48. UF is 56th. Winthrop and Miami are 61st and 63rd.

So that is most of the schedule thus far and they are comparable with UF...

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    But how did Sullt let him come thru the gates?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Chap—

Don’t really know how much latitude he has on that issue—

6. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    U would think with Sully clout he would be able to manipulate that. That friggin ump is an azz

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. wingtee

wingtee VIP Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’ve watched college baseball all day. Still watching . Got Oregon St vs Coastal top of 10 . 4-4. I’m a sick bastid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    the umps huddled, when they broke each made the out symbol, seemed like declaring consensus to me, especially with the unity action when they broke up

9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bet you anything that guy isnt in Gville again for forseeable future. Sully absolutely has some sway in that regard.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sully was gushing about Ruth's performance and was considering putting Crisp in but Ruth was being so dominant he left him in.

Sully mentioned Ruth would be "very, very important for us" in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    They tore down a section of the outfield fence big enough to get the umpire's ego through.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I think this guy would absolutely start in our infield and bat leadoff. His defense was very good and he displayed great range and a solid glove at SS - at times stellar. I think we only got him out 3 times the whole weekend(maybe 4?). He was a disruptive force on the base paths - walk him and he steals 2nd. If the throw is a little off he's on 3rd. I think it was Saturday's game that he made it at least to 3rd every at bat. IMO he was the best player on the field this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    He is very talented and a multi tool player, as a senior he would be 'an old man' on our club, he has a few scouts taking a serious look at him and he really wants to play in the league, his Dad mentioned what his degree was/is in, I think he already has it but I don't remember what it is in but from Yale it will be worth a pretty good starting salary if the MLB does not work out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Oh yeah, being a senior has its advantages - Whiteman's had a LOT of collegiate at bats compared to nearly all of our starting 9 and some of our young guys may have a higher ceiling. Watching players develop is part of the fun of college baseball.
    I wondered about the scouting of him. I tried to ask one who was sitting near me if anyone was on him but the scout was on his phone a long while and then gone.
    I think he will probably have a "tough" decision in his near future of whether to take a flier on professional baseball and go play or to take his degree from Yale in Chem Eng (I looked) and go work. He was "only" 2nd team All-Ivy last year so it's possible we saw him on a real hot streak. I was impressed with their defense up the middle as a whole - their 2nd baseman made some put outs on balls I was sure were going to get through.

Now we need to start the sweep of FSU tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    We have seen both ends of the spectrum as far as fielding has for the opponents so far, this bunch was very good. As for the SS his Dad is not optimistic but is very supportive of his son because of the boy's strong desire to see how far he can go.. I wished them both well on the way out,, very nice and very knowledgeable Dad.
    Not optimistic about the fans there tonight :(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1