Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. Vandy, Sat, 5/1, 6:30 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, May 1, 2021.

1. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    On to Game 2!

TV: SEC Network + (on-line)
    Radio: ESPN 98.1 FM / WRUF 850 AM
    Stats: SIDEARMLiveStats
    Weather: 82 Deg at the start and 73 to finish. 0-1% chance of precip. Wind ENE @ 7-9 = blowing in from right/center field.

Starting Gator: Jr RHP Mace (4-0, 4.00)
    Starting Earl: Jr RHP Leiter (7-1, 1.49)

Go Gators!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Today is the day we have to come out aggressive and play the entire game with the intensity of a pure winner.

Jump on early strikes and drive the ball—don’t stand there watching in awe until you’re in a 1-2 count. Get after this guy! It can be done, so let’s be the ones that do it!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    Go Gators! A new day. Last night was disappointing for sure. Let's do it pitchers!

• Like Like x 1
  4. UF67ee

UF67ee GC Legend

Jul 9, 2007
    That ump last night was sure calling questionable strikes against us --On the outside of the plate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Mace has to have a short leash. Scott has to be ready to throw extended innings. Jack too as this is a game we have to have. We have 2 electric arms sitting in the pen and both are capable of throwing 60-70 pitches.

Like to see Armstrong and Kirby in the lineup together.

whoever is playing third has to look bunt.

Carrion has got to get out of short left field. Defensively that is limiting him.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agreed. @gatorjjh just posted it accurately by asking for the fairness of a consistent strike zone. That would make for a much more level playing field.

I have said a couple of times already this year that it appears Rocker and Leiter both have the luxury of throwing to a gracious strike zone. They’re good enough that they don’t need that kind of help.

All I‘ll say is when they move on into MLB they’ll get their feelings hurt.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    You sure did call this weeks ago. I was shocked as later in the game the breaking balls to Jud and Jacob were close to a foot off the plate. Early on Rocker got calls that I’ve not seen called all year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    He sure was. Kudos to Jud and JY as the strikes called against them consistently throughout the night were way off the plate.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

As much as we want to see our pitchers have the command/control/confidence issues with them during the game we also want our hitters to have confidence and discipline standing in the batter’s box. An umpire with an inconsistent strike zone disallows either to happen.

ONE MORE TIME—Geez Blue—Nobody came to the ballpark to watch you!

The best umpires are always the ones that when you’re leaving the ballpark—you don’t even remember.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. gator1977

gator1977 All American

Apr 15, 2019
    The calls in favor of Vandy pitchers were outrageous but here is where I ask what are Sully and the coaches doing to back their kids? I didn't see the plate umpire look over or admonish anyone on the Gators bench even on those stunning outside and high strike calls. Rocker, Leiter and Vandy are too good to get even more help from blue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Your spot on!! That’s what I said in the post last night. Easy to see and hear what’s going on With regard to concern from coaches in dug out. Blue never once looked over at our dugout.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Almost like a coach getting a T in basketball to fire his team up when calls are becoming egregious. Sometimes a team needs this. Not looking for Sully to get tossed just to say something. I’m not worry about what he did say or didn’t say two weeks ago all I know was last night nothing was being said and the strike zones were completely different from one side to the other.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gator1977

gator1977 All American

Apr 15, 2019
    I still wonder at would could have been last night. Leaving Aleman in to take one for the team when he clearly didn't have his best stuff-- an early hook might have kept the game closer. The Armstrong blast that hooked fouled (would have plated 3), the Rivera blast that hooked foul (would have plated a bunch), the far too conservative 3rd base coaching by Lars. Some risk taking called for when team leaving boatloads on base.... and of course the bottom line 14 LOBs, 16Ks. Gotta get better. The question: can this team get better at this late stage in the season?
    SEC announcers last night were puzzling over the Gators average performance thus far this season and Kyle Peterson noted... to be an elite team you have to have your weekend guys set and confident. At the start of season a weekend lineup of Mace, Leftwich, Barco seemed elite.
    Well we all know what happened. I still believe that Sully's tinkering with weekend lineup shook up the top guys confidence. He may have had to do it but again the results are what they are.

14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Here's my point... what is WITH these SEC umps?!

Secondly, we are hurting at pitcher. Seriously hurting. A couple of our pitchers are good, at times, but lets face it, they aren't all the time. When they're hot, they're really good, but most of the time, they are average. I hate going into these games against top opponents not knowing what we're going to put on the field. That said, this all starts with recruiting, especially at pitcher.

15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

For Tommy Mace, this is the biggest game of his life in my opinion. He will hopefully have a couple bigger after this BUT he will have a ton of scouts in attendance. A ton! He has literally millions on the line. If he finished this year strong like his ability would dictate is possible, he can make a bunch of money in June/July. If he gets shelled, he might be a 4-7th rounder. Best of luck to him. I hope for him, more than even for UF, he has a terrific day.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here is my suggestions at the lineup for today.

LF - Young - R
    1st - Hickey - L
    CF - Fabian - R
    DH - Armstrong - B
    3rd - McMullen - R
    RF - Thompson - L
    SS - Rivera - R
    2nd - Halter - L
    C - Greenfield - R

P - Mace/Scott?/VDW/Leftwich/Carrion

Hopefully Scott is available and hopefully all we need is Mace and Scott.
    Calilao was hitless yesterday but Kirby looked ready so there's one trade out.
    Carrion was hitless and looked out of place so Rivera is my choice today.
    Greenfield is needed to slow down their base runners so Hickey moves to first and Armstrong is the DH with those bombs last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

87—

You were being quite humane with your “looked out of place” descriptive—I was thinking more along the lines of “looked intimidated”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sully should have made a long visit to the mound to lure the ump to the bump and had short and unheated conversation with the home plate blue. Chirping from the dugout is "showing up" the ump and will just piss him off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I’m much more concerned about defending the bunt / run game that if not defended will open up innings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

No pressure there Greg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1