Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs UCF, Wed 2/27, 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Feb 26, 2019.

1. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    He almost let that get over his head.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Brady better watch his back. I smell a code red.

3. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Tip o the cap to UCF. They played well and were aggressive on the bases. Hope our guys learn from this game. Lotta season left.
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well I flipped over to basketball. If vandy gets back into this it's on me.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    Almost twice tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I'll take partial blame.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Yep, ugly stuff. Throw in passed balls also. Need to shore up a couple of positions before sec play.

8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    This was a much older more polished squad than us. There swings were really good

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    Sucks for Kirby, his GS gets overshadowed by crappy defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    4 errors, all costing us runs....

I know about growing pains and young teams having to develop—

But that was pretty ugly—

Whole lot of hard practices in front of these guys—

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Sully was a catcher and this has to be killing him. Gator catchers have always been one of the strengths of the team ...... Rivera, JJ, Zunino, Gushoe etc

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. gatorinmi

Apr 8, 2007
    And here comes vandy.

13. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Well, I was all set to congratulate the first UCF fan I saw on their National Championship - but darned if I could find one!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    So Brady Smith can never catch again. Did you see Butler's face walking of the mound at the end of the inning? We're not getting our pitchers best when that doubt the catcher. Experiment is over. Need a backstop regardless of what the bat brings. Tough call but the reality if gators want to compete in SEC. Send Brady away to a catching clinic for 2 weeks then give him smithy shot. Fundamentals are overlooked here.

15. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Junior

Sep 8, 2013
    Among the savages
    Brady just is not a catcher...period

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    Reese to catcher. Young to second.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I hate to question Sully, but I really wonder what the deal is with forcing the issue with Brady. He forced it last year at first, when Bell was MUCH better defensively, now forcing it at catcher. It's still early in the season, but he is costing this team a lot, and cost them a lot last year too. This has to frustrate the rest of the squad, no? Stuff like this is how you completely lose a team. How the hell is a pitcher supposed to pitch with any confidence when the dude behind the plate can't stop ANYTHING? Other guys make relatively small mistakes and get put on the bench with a quickness. Why does Brady continue to get a pass? At least last year, you could argue he swung a bigger bat than Bell, but his bat has just as big of a hole in it this year as his catchers mitt. Obviously Sully sees something in this kid that we don't, right? Does he have some compromising photos? I just don't get it. I have seriously wondered if he doesn't have a legit issue with his vision. Is it entirely a focus thing?

Miozzi had a bad throw down to third, but has been solid blocking the plate. At least gives the pitcher some confidence the guy back there will make a legit effort to keep the ball in front of him. I believe he's batting better as well.

Where the hell is Cal?

Sorry for the rant, but this is maddening. Losing midweeks is what it is. Losing them in this fashion makes me want to break stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    So far Cal is in the Bull Pen, he didn't hit very well at practice or in the scrimmages, also all the catchers had issues blocking balls in the dirt, Miozzi appears to have made the most improvement, the throw last night was bad but his throws are much closer to on the mark than the other catchers, Girand did not get much work preseason so you would have to take from that that the staff does not see him as an option behind the plate

• Informative Informative x 4
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    John—

With regards to Miozzi I think you are spot on—he receives the ball well, blocks it down in front of him keeping it playable, and our pitchers seem to have great confidence in pitching to him (being able to bury a pitch or locate it wherever they need to)—

Like you said and I also posted last night—his errant throw should not have been made—when you break down what happened the UCF RH batter did exactly what he should, stood still in place for Miozzi to have to work around—no movement on his part, no interference—

The right call for Miozzi was simply put that one in his pocket—runner’s on third, next hitter K’s, inning over—

He seems to be the most solid defensive option at this point—

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep Yep and Yep. As @gatorjjh and I watched last night Miozzi was solid behind the plate and really refused to let anything by even blocking several in the dirt to make a few pitchers look better than they were. I started my way out during the eighth and glad I did, not knowing how bad that last inning went. It really made me ask what's the bother to drive up for a midweek after the rain to watch this. Happy we got some hits and very happy I got to see Ocala's own, Kirby the Love Bug, hit a grand slammy but it went all for not. With this weekends competition coming in, I would open the catchers position to three different starters and see who wants it most.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2