Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs TN, Sat 5/4, 6:30 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, May 3, 2024.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Don’t

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    You got it Horns

3. astrogator

astrogator Senior

Feb 20, 2024
    Yeah, what doesn't make sense though is that Coppola was clearly warming up in the 6th inning when we brought out Slater. There must have been some consideration by Sully. My guess is that he wanted Coppola to come in at the top of the 7th with no baserunners to finish the game. Then things spiraled out of control and it clearly became not worth bringing him in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Possible he was just doing his bullpen work? Or simulated start because he missed his mound time this weekend?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Either that or because he didn’t throw on Friday it was just a “get your work in” day.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Fixed it for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I actually have not heard Sully say that, but I don’t have the opportunity to listen to many of his post game shows and maybe you do.

I can respect that if it is true as it’s a very safe precautionary way to go for this year or for now.

But, why would he be warming up like he was?

8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I think what you have to look at is where they are now as right now And not three weeks ago as we have several young pitchers that are at high levels pitching better than they have ever before.
    Maybe not proven but this is a VERY talented team. The risk was always going with all of the young pitchers while one or two veterans transferred that could’ve helped us throw in losing Prevesk and betting on Yost and you have true risk over reward. Neely needs to be in the pen. Clemente, Cags, and Coppola need to be our starters. That’s an easy one at this point.

Very talented:
    Early on not so but at this time many are really turning it up and performing

Clemente- maybe throwing better than anyone right now and has been up to 98 and even better yet he is really pitching and not throwing. He’s absolutely deserving of a midweek start at the worst if not a Saturday start ( More about this later).

Peterson- Looks like an absolutely different pitcher and pitching like a sophomore right now. His stuff is absolutely filthy at times is easily seen as a major asset to this team

Jameson- Simply put one of the better relievers in the SEC he’s been absolutely filthy.

Menendez- Stepping up and coming around has good solid stuff and will be very important in the next week to two weeks.

Coppola- Kind of X factor, but the reality is, we have to pitch him. “Stuff” has been excellent all things considered. This may be his last year of Florida believe it or not which I think would be a mistake but he’s healthy and getting stronger. At times he has been solid considering he’s thrown a lot of innings over the last two years.

Neely- in the right role, he is still the same all SEC performer. Let’s see if Coach puts him back in the pin this weekend and elevates Clemente to starter status.

Tybo- all sec excellent year. Also, one of the better right fielders in the league.

Cags- What can we say MVP?

Kurland and Heyman- starting to come around.

Donay- honestly been a very pleasant surprise. Upside is unlimited.

I will say it again, this team is very talented. Coach just needs to get everybody in the right spots, especially with regards to the pitching rotation.

Calling the sweep this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    agree 100%. I think Sully was thinking hard about doing it and maybe, like you said, waited a little long.

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

My thought—he didn’t throw Friday as planned because of the weather so I would think he was merely getting his work in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Based on what you mentioned earlier about what Sully said, makes sense.

12. tenfold

tenfold GC Legend

Oct 31, 2023
    Where the crawfish stay.
    Ocalaman hit the nail on the head with the regression post.
    There’s selective optimism about next year but unless changes are brought about it’s going to be wash, rinse and repeat.
    Water flows down hill. Changes have to be made at the top in order to have success below.
    Sully has to look in the mirror and consider change’s within, especially in the coaching staff. One thing I always appreciate about the Spurriers and Saban’s of the world they were never afraid to make changes in order to maintain success. Last years team was an anomaly simply because of the amount of talent and LEADERSHIP within the players. We have not seen that since 2018. The teams prior 2018 had talent. Those teams always had pitchers who knew how to pitch and put away teams. They threw strikes and had confidence. UF went through seasons where Mace and Leftwich and those pitching staffs just lacked what the previous guys had. It’s been a pattern for years. Last year’s players were really talent loaded and experienced and I think it made people think there is something within the program that may not necessarily be.
    There could be a good weekend rotation with Liam, Coppola and Clemente but that certainly doesn’t help the high strike out ratio with next year’s batters or the regression we have seen.
    Sully stated post game over and over that they have the same conversations week after week but the talks aren’t translating during the games. At some point you have change your approach as a coach..
    This years team seems at times confused and borderline disinterested .
    The confusion with base running, having abysmal centerfield, 3rd base and no one to fill the gaps seems more of a leadership and recruitment issue.

I love what Sully has done at UF and I really hope he can right the ship but this team may or may not be .500 at years end and has been 10 run-ruled to death. Also it the first time in Sully’s tenure that he has lost 5 straight series.
    He hasn’t beaten the Vols in a Gainesville series since 2015.
    His teams have had patterns but most forget it because last years success.

I think it’s a leadership issue across the board and those things always start at the top.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I did put a pinch of Wintergreen Skoal Dip in my lower lip back then

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. volungator

volungator All American

I could not agree more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Clearly, I did a poor job of writing my point in a way that allowed the one sentence you addressed to be read without the context of the post to which I responded, as well as the remainder of my own post. Your post makes good sense as broad comments about baseball and football. The post I answered focused on one data point, number of strike outs in SEC games, and said the author couldn't imagine how the team could be near .500. I don't think it contradicts your position at all to say one should look at more than one data point. I explained in the post that my individual game comment by mentioning that some players who had poor starts, but late improvements and that, for the most part, Gator wins had been by bigger margins than the losses. Our bigger difference probably is that I believe that looking at individual games CAN help one understand a teams performance. While MLB plays 162 games in a regular season, college regular seasons are 55 or less, so a group of individual college games will be a somewhat more representative sample. I suppose my opening sentence didn't reasonably summarize my message. Would it have helped if I opened with, One must consider an array of data points and look for trends and context within the data package to find the best understanding?