Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. S Alabama, Sat 6/5, 5:00 Re-start

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 4, 2021.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Absolutely not. It is the game of baseball and you have to get 27 outs. Period. The game has already changed in a lot of ways. A mercy rule should never be one of them. Pitch better. Hit better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Certainly appears as if this team quit, probably the most embarrassing loss of gator baseball. This team needs to finish the game and take the woodshed experience. The saddest part, they quit on Sully.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. kansascitygator

kansascitygator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope the freshmen and younger guys had their heads on right. I'm hopeful for the draft eligible to be inspired to go if they dont want to get this turned around. adios.[/QUOTE]

4. crescent_beach

crescent_beach All American

Sep 25, 2016
    I don’t know if full scorched earth is the answer, but it’s clear something is a bit off. I don’t think it’s limited to the players either. Perhaps there’s some level of complacency amongst Sully and the staff after reaching the pinnacle in 2017.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, some for sure but we lack something major right now. Guys that value moving the runner over, playing small ball, hitting line drives, getting on base anyway they can, etc...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I don’t know that scorched earth is the answer either. But I don’t think it is the coaches (or at least not completely anyway). 2018... They were the #1 overall seed!

7. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    95 overrated if you can’t spot it and don’t have good breaking pitches. Velo way overrated. Rather see 88-90 like Nikhazy that commands it and has great off speed stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Great, enjoy sitting there watching meaningless play.. You will have few fans there with you tho.
    Btw, sec tourney already has a mercy rule, works just fine.

9. kansascitygator

kansascitygator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    There are some other real butt kickings on the board and I know these guys can be the worst if they will just not try harder.

10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I know we will come up with somebody

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    Jeff talked about this during the game and hinted that it was the older guys that is the problem.

• Informative Informative x 4
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Barco, Young, Hickey, Halter, Guscette and Thompson are a good core group to build a team around. Kirby McMullen and Trey Van der Weide are the only grad seniors who can't come back, except for Nick Blasucci who didn't play at all this year. Everybody says Fabian is going pro. I think we 'have 12 pitchers in the incoming class, although a couple could go pro. The pitching situation seems to be a total mess. Mace & Leftwich are probably gone to the MLB draft. We had 18 pitchers on our active roster this year, not counting 2 way players Jordan Carrion & Jordan Butler. Nick Pogue & Tyler Nesbitt were off the roster due to surgeries. So he'll have a ton of pitchers to put together a roster for 2022 and I expect several on this year's roster to either leave on their own or be asked to leave, as they weren't used at all or very little. Whoever the coach is, and I assume it will be O'Sullivan, will probably do a total re-evaluation of the program and decide who he wants to rebuild with and who needs to move on. Sully has such a proven track record I trust the guy to get the ship righted, assuming he's not lured away.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Any restart time yet? I can't wait!

14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

A mercy rule and calling a game are not the same thing. You can call a game any time after 5. There is no reason for this game to continue. But a mercy rule is a run level where a game automatically ends. I vehemently disagree with an arbitrary line of “enough is enough”. Why not kill football games after 40 points? Or basketball games at a certain point. Play the game to its extent. Don’t cut it short because your feelings are hurt from losing too bad.

But this game is now in a delay with another game behind it. The game is official as is. There is no benefit in resting for 1.5 hours and then coming out for what is left. They are different things.

15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    @wingtee as Assistant but paid more and Horns (@Nole74) as pitching coach. @APK as our beat writer ( he’s my buddy by this point so he’ll write good stuff).
    We value mid week games as developmental opportunities but still small ball our way to enough runs.
    BTW @Bazza is our strategy guy and as with my other assistants he’s paid more than me.
    Wing 1b coach
    Bazza at 3B and you bet we are bunting for hits 3-4 times A game.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Naw I’m happy we kept it relatively close

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    So if you're LSU, are you still coming for Sully? lol

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

LMAO

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    This is where common sense should come into play. It is 19-1 in the 7th inning, call the game. Why make the kids wait in a game that they clearly gave up in?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Hickey is draft eligible and could go in the single digit rounds. Anyone in that range is more likely than not to go.