Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. Ms St, Sat 3/16, 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Mar 16, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    bumping him from Friday to Sunday may have gotten his attention, that and perhaps he started to listen to Sully & @74nole advice about arm slot consistency, whatever with the 3 lead dogs we will be just fine, especially after the frosh get adjusted to the SEC pitching

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Ouch

3. easyout1

easyout1 Junior

May 14, 2007
    Their Friday and Saturday starters are elite. Middle of the rotation big league quality arms. That was the best staff they will face this entire season. It will get easier from here on out.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Who ever had the hot hand is who I would start on Friday, and let them keep it until someone else proves they are the hot hand. Just imo, getting that first win on Friday night is crucial.

5. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yes I've noticed Dalton moving up in the box more, especially late into counts. Lang batted something like .325 in SEC play last year. Let's hope he finds it again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Gray—

You do realize don’t you that sounds an awful lot like the school of pitching by Mike Martin???

It’s not practical to be constantly resetting the rotation based on who has the hot hand—correct days of rest as well as the right work on the right days (both road work and throwing to prepare for the next start) get out of wack on everyone that is part of this kind of juggling—

I understand moving someone for either injury or lack of consistency but I would want to stay away from “knee-jerk” reaction moves because of a good game—it just jeopardizes all three weekend starters routines—

Obviously this is 100% up to Sully—the above post is strictly MHO—

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Them sounds like fighting words!!! Okay first one to their Geritol wins.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    ^^^^this.

I was about to post THIS ....with proper annotations and reference to the thoughts and words of @74nole, of course. You’ve said many times how important the routine is for pitchers.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    This seems to happen to guys in their junior (draftable) year. Trying too hard? too much pressure on self? batting in part of lineup that pitcher may concentrate on a little harder? hitter weaknesses becoming known?. Usually results in a senior year..

10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Unfortunately for Austin he is going to have a senior year

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But lucky for UF?

Last year he also started off slowly.

Maybe he need hot weather and wooden bats.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Very tough decsion for Sully , because if he sticks to his position on playing best , as he did to Reese then AL would have to be under microscope . Young is SO out of position at 2b, that anything up the middle on the ground is a 50/50 proposition. Can’t win in the SEC with that . Reese has had his own share of defensive issues , thus more dugout time . If Sully stays true to his norm we will be seeing more of what was seen in that last game . It’s a shame for AL but , he’s not a better defender or base runner than Young so he better hit better and when that’s not the case this is the result . Just the way it is .

13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Langworthy, last year after going 2 for 10 in the SEC opener:

.236 BA, .629 OPS, 16 strikeouts

This year, after going 2 for 8 in the SEC opener:

.198 BA (about 3 hits shy of last year's pace), .595 OPS, 16 strikeouts

Last year he hit .314 BA the rest of the way and brought his season average up to .290 and an OPS up to .807. He had the second best SEC average on the team (.327), and he had the third best SEC OPS on the team (.886) behind Schwarz and India.

Same Tuesday opponent following the SEC opener: Jacksonville. He went 2 for 3 last year to get a little spark going, but he'd only strikeout once in his next 6 games. Here's to hoping he can find his groove again, because we know it's there somewhere.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    He started slow last year and has been streaky from time to time, I know the scouts are keeping a close eye on him and not tipping any hand good or bad this early in the season, right now I'd say he wants to go but if this isn't the year he is OK with that as well. I expect he will pick up the hitting here in the next series or so and be a weapon we need in the line up. He does need to relax and play baseball and not be or feel pressure. If AL is benched and Jacob goes to LF and Reese is back at second and they both produce AL may be pinch hitter and reliever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Both very good analysis by @gatorjjh and @WESGATORS, it gives me much to think about. As we always say, leave it up to Sully cause he can pull the right switches when needed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Hoping he gets it going. Of course we could use another lefty reliever, but don't think that's his future.

• Agree Agree x 2