Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. FSU, Tue 3/10, 6:30 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Mar 8, 2020.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If it was old school baseball he would have gotten a fastball in the ribs the next time up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Was at the game and my impression was that we would break through at some point but that never happened. My opinion was the difference was how many 0-2 counts Florida hitters found themselves in. Okay the umpire behind the plate had a strike zone that moved from inning to inning. But our hitters knew this was the case as the game got into the late innings but still we took two pitches which were called strikes way too often.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Well in all seriousness, as you pointed out, UF has nothing to play for now. They can’t go 56-0. They can’t win the series against the SWAC. They can’t win the SEC. They can’t be a top 8 or even top 3 National seed.

Oh wait, that isn’t true even one tiny iota. It is a MIDWEEK game!!! UF doesn’t appear to be on the bubble this year. Cry in your cereal all you want but literally NOTHING was lost tonight aside from impossible streaks.

UF wasn’t effective at the plate. Our pitchers fell behind repeatedly. Ultimately, UF played poorly. I am disappointed but literally nothing of value was lost aside from some absurd dreams of 30 straight victories against the SWAC. Win the series this weekend and all is right with the world.

BUT the SWAC still sucks and their hitting approach is an affront to hitting. Swing the damn bat. Try that approach against a non-midweek arm and let me know how it goes... Oh yeah, we saw it against Duke.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Congrats to Noles, they earned the win with stellar pitching. Broke or ended 2 streaks in the process

5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Still bummed about that game. Very un-Sully-like with the first pitch balls against a passive team. Much of Sully’s success against the SWAC is based on throwing strikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    You mean Nathan Hickey wasn’t going to hit a HR every game for the rest of the year.?
    You criticize FSU approach to hitting yet they get the lead off hitter on in 7 of 9 innings ?
    They can run a pitch count up which results in seeing more pitches .
    We might look in the mirror if we want to be cynical about hitting approaches.

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    There is some argument to be made. No doubt. Mike Martin won a ton of games this way. But he didn’t win the big ones and the reason is two fold imo.

1. He rarely to never had frontline arms.
    2. Getting behind 0-1 against Faedo-like arms in Omaha is a recipe for disaster. The approach wins games but not titles. And it is just boring...

As for UF, the lack of adjustments to 2 very similar lefties is disturbing. Not an encouraging sign at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Chillax fainting goats. It’s baseball. I too used to freak out about the FSU series.

Then I began to understand how college ball really works.

In Sully we trust. Omaha in June.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Ive never learned to like losing to fsu and never will. Ive lived up here around Tally all my life and it will never become a norm to me.

I hate losing to them, in anything.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I kind of like when they win the 3rd column.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Understand your point perfectly. No one hates the Holes the way I do.

But if you are able to put that aside for a moment you will understand just how miniscule mid-week games are in the college baseball season.

Work on your weekend series and position yourself for Omaha.

That is what we did in 2017, even though we’ve had better teams.

Just to give you an idea in 2017 we lost midweek games to Jacksonville U, UCF, and FGCU twice. We still dogpiled in Omaha. In the grand scheme of things, a midweek game is a midweek game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We are now getting ready for SEC arms which will rival or exceed the arms we saw last night. To be honest I have some deep concerns for 2-3 hitters in our lineup. I’m thinking we might be better to manage our lineup vs scheduled left or righty’s starter with advantage matchups. In the SEC WE cannot have 3-4 dead outs in the lineup. Just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Clearly UF will struggle against premium arms as seen in the Miami series and a couple other cases (Troy’s Friday guy for instance). I am not sure UF has 3-4 guaranteed outs in the lineup (Acton/Smith appear to be for now). But the last 18 innings, UF’s offense has been offensive. Got to get a hell of a lot better. No doubt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I like to see a strong mental approach at the plate from our hitters which for me is watching the battle your arse off for the ENTIRE at bat— not just that one “your pitch” but intensity the entire AB.

I’m not going to sit here and tell our coaches how to coach our hitters—they are highly qualified and have our team’s best interest at heart, no doubt.

I, just like everyone else hate to see us take pipe FB’s only to chase breaking balls/change ups completely out of the zone. I believe a strong mental approach and intensity level by our hitters the entire AB, every AB will lead us back to tougher outs and more consistent hitting.

• Like Like x 2
  15. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What would your specific remedies be?

16. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    OK signing off for a while. Cannot take all this. It is really comical how varied the opinions are.

We have said Brady Smith is a sure out and also that he should be in the lineup more because he battles in at bats.

We all obviously see what we want to see and the truth is probably not as jaded or rosy as we think.

Did we all want to win last night, yes. Could we have been a tougher loss, sure.
    Is the sky falling, absolutely not!

Sully better watch out or the fire Mike White hive will be on him too!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just to be clear here, are you suggesting that Sully deserves another chance?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    After losing to the SWAC I don’t see how he gets one.

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    No no no no.....post more, not less. Don’t sign off, sign on and post your thoughts! Need more, not less

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I think on a 2 strike count we need to spread and let the bat stay in the zone. We swing and miss an inordinate amount . Just make some contact and some of those ground balls will have eyes and keep innings going

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1