Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. FGCU, Tue 3/5, 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Weston - as in the South Florida Weston? I've been there. Dated a girl whose parents lived there. They moved up from Miami where he (my g/fd's Dad) was a long time HS football coach. They were friends with a ton of sports figures. One night we had dinner with Angelo Dundee as a guest, along with his wife. They had a beach house here in NSB which is where I met her. Her sister was married to a famous German prize fighter. We all went to see "Castaway" when it first came out. Good times....

Oh - and her Dad was on the FSU football team from '48-'51 and played Guard. Team captain in '51.

Back to the golf course grow in - that's pretty cool. I never worked on a golf course but knew many superintendents and spray techs during the 10 years I worked with that company. We had a separate division that sold to the golf courses but they would still come into the store when they needed stuff. Greens grade fertilizer (Elite), Perennial Rye seed, control products - usually fungicides when they had an emergency, balls washers, tee towels, etc. etc.

Much respect for all turf managers - not an easy job. Both art and science involved - along with a TON of politics!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Yes, the Weston in s. Florida...Broward.

I worked at Gainesville CC while going back to school. Parlayed that into the summer at Weston Hills. (Was trying to become a golf course architect and thought maintenance and some construction experience would be beneficial).

Good experience.

Like Forrest Gump, I loved sitting on a mower and going to town. Could *space out* and daydream my architectural design solutions. Superintendent at Gainesville CC gave me a lot of latitude. Some days I was all alone mowing, etc.

May “retire” to being on the grounds crew at the Swamp or new MAC someday! Need to learn how to rake the clay, though....

• Like Like x 4
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Ironically, I was in Weston hills a couple weeks ago visiting friends.

• Like Like x 1