Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. Charleston Southern, Fri 2/17, 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Feb 14, 2023.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    The catcher made a great recovery. I would not have argued about it if I were in Deric’s shoes either. He got gunned down. I have seen very similar plays going into other bases called for obstruction though.

It wasn’t like he was just lolly gagging out there though and got caught sleeping. He jumped towards second on a dirt ball, and the catcher just made a great play. It is what it is. I wouldn’t have him running laps for making a stupid play, and not real sure how you’d practice that exact scenario to eliminate it from happening again. Just a flukey play. We lost this round, but he could have just as easily ended up on second. He made the right decision to get back to the bag, and if you watch the replay, you’ll see he did make it back, he just hit a cleat instead of the bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Interesting that in his post game comments Sully was pretty clear that he doesn’t like the mercy rule because “to me baseball is a 9 inning game” and “it takes away some opportunities from other guys”. If that is the case it sounds as if the other team (in non SEC play) can determine whether the mercy rule is in effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    If so, I could understand the visitors in this case preferring not to get their pitching staff wiped out with no chance of winning. Sully, on the other hand probably just wants to give as many reps as possible to the bench guys.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1