Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball is a simple game and we lost for simple reasons

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Matthanuf06, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Free passes and Ks define the game. You win that battle you rarely lose.

W/HBP/K

Florida:

8/1/16, 8/3/4, 8/4/8

32 free passes with 28 Ks

LSU:

2/1/20, 6/1/14, 2/1/9

13 free passes with 43 Ks

Langford and Evans going God mode made it a lot closer than it deserved to be (as in a LF jumping catch to save a game and ultimately the series).

Cags, Rivera, and BT with 18 Ks in your 3,4,5 spot is a tough mountain to climb. That’s 2 per game per player.

Fisher is the only guy with good pitching stats. 4.2 IP 1 ER 1 BB 6 K. Somehow Sproat arguably was our #2 best showing. It wasn’t great by his standards but he battled and had a decent line.

Interestingly only Cags looked ‘bad’ out there to me. Waldrep was squeezed, it’s a bad outting but he didn’t look bad.

Everyone else seemed ‘ok’ with some funky fortune and consistently laboring innings. Slater was hurt so he gets a pass. Nesbitt looked good. Purnell was mixed but did what you’d expect him to do (get hit but also get GBs). Neely was fine, 3IP+ in a game and gave up 1. Almost forgetting Ficarrotta…he was great but tough to judge that in a blow out

I coach travel ball so I’m totally qualified here (kidding of course) but I think we need to be more aggressive early in counts. We aren’t a small ball team so we shouldn’t have a small ball approach. Rivera took like a million called strikes

Pitching wise you gotta have a quicker hook. Sully just seemed off. Cags clearly had nothing but we didn’t even get a guy up until the 2nd HBP. Slater got nailed with a ball and we didn’t even check on him…then he has to abort a throw. Then he’s throwing 3-5 mph slower… and we let him get rocked. Like what? In a mid week mid season game let guys work through and develop…but it’s a do or die championship game. We should have had guys ready to throw literally at the first sign.

If Fisher came in vs Beloso as he should have… LSU definitely doesn’t score 6. Maybe 2 or 3.

That being said being runners up is a fantastic season, we have absolutely fantastic players and a great future.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Also the crowd was probably 80/20 at best. The Gator ‘section’ (near our dugout) was probably 50/50…. Maybe 60/40 us. The rest of the stadium was maybe 90/10 or 95/5

The crowd definitely gave the LSU players juice. Our fans just have to do better. LSU is a high barometer (maybe THE barometer) but these things matter. Would we have won in a 50:50 stadium on Saturday? What if it was 80/20 us?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We lost because sometimes we don't get the calls. And the umpires made sure of that tonight.

The psychology is simple. If strikes are not called when you see them and swing at them then you swing at whatever the umpire calls strikes... Simple and destructively detective. This make you swing at bad balls.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  4. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    so its like football then, all officials are against the gators?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Just my two bits, but FLORIDA crowd was significantly better than it was in 2017. I’d guess maybe 3 or 4 times more fans. Obviously nowhere near LSU levels, but the improvement was noticeable all over town. Can’t wait to see what it looks like next time as more fans got a taste and caught the fever.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 4
  6. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    That’s all we can ask. I don’t blame anyone, it’s a tough expensive trip. I’m just stating the obvious, LSU turning into a home game gave them home field advantage. That’s worth something on the field

7. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    The only guy with a legitimate gripe was Waldrep. The high strike simply wasn’t called

Offensively certain guys were allergic to swinging the bat early in the count. It had nothing to do with the calls (which were generally fine).

The Rivera baseline call is the real gripe we had

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    On that, was it called by the rule and the rule is stupid?

9. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    A quite strict interpretation of the rule

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    All that being said, if Langford's drive on Saturday night is an inch or two up, we're at home Monday hoisting the trophy.

Baseball is a funny game sometimes...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  11. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    On the Rivera call, the first baseman was all turned around and dropped the ball by himself with no contact from Rivera. Rivera ran a straight line to first base and touched first base as normal as can be. I believe the first base umpire called him safe. Then, the big shot home plate ump decides to intercept himself into a college baseball championship game for no reason other than his ego. It was a horrible call; not as bad as when the Saints receiver was tackled late in that game with no call. It was egregious. On the review, they should have looked at the play in total and the LSU player just botched it up with NO interference from the base runner. What is the base runner to do? Run 18” outside the baseline and just tag first base with the side of his foot so the first baseman can have the entire top of the base to do what he wishes? Total bull crap!
    Typical of SEC refs in all sports that make these bonehead calls to insert their egos into the game and make the games not fun to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Great write up, well written. Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    All conversations need to end with your post ! This is the bottom line ! Period

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    We lost this game on Saturday night by 3 inches in the bottom of the 10th.

But yes to everything else you said. To win in Omaha you need pitching. Our starting pitchers were a disaster in the championship series. In 2017 we took a team that batted ok but had dominant pitching. Result= NC. In ‘05, ‘11, and ‘23 you can argue our batting was better than our pitching. Result= close but no cigar.

College baseball is a funny sport of sorts. Minnesota has been to Omaha only 5 times and won it all on 3 of those. Pepperdine only has 2 trips, yet won it all in 1992. No one would consider those two to be yearly threats to make it there in present times, and yet their win % on the big stage is 50% or above. No one would consider Minnesota a blue-blood in the sport like Texas, Miami, USC, Cal-State Fullerton, LSU, Arizona, Arizona State,and yet they have 3 titles which puts them right under those teams I mentioned and ahead of teams like Vandy and South Carolina.

The Gators have gone 13 times and only won once. Less than a 10% win rate and yet on a yearly basis we stand a much better chance than Minnesota or Pepperdine to make it to Omaha.

Arkansas is 0-11, UNC 0-11, Clemson is 0-12, F$U is 0-23. Just rotten luck for those programs. You figure at some point in those combined 57 tries somebody wins, but no. No team ever really has more than a 12.5% chance of winning when they get to Nebraska.

Sully wasn’t at his best in this championship series but we also didn’t have a pitching staff good enough to win it. Once our starters performed sub-par, Sully’s gameplan went to the crapper. Still came within 3 inches of winning this on Saturday night as Sun/Mon proved to be batting practice exhibitions.

One thing I know: Sully can get there, Sully can win there, and Sully can win the title. He’s done it before. He’s 1/8 which means he’s done exactly what the odds say you should do. He will take us there again and he will win it all again.

In Sully we trust. Go Gators!!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Looking at the majors- the best teams only win about 60-62% of the games. (97-101 wins out of 162 game series.)
    And bad/ mediocre teams still win 40% of their games. (65 wins.)
    Compared to football or basketball its a huge contrast, where the best teams win 75-80%, and the worst win 25%. (Or more!)

That tells me luck is a big factor in baseball- and less in the other sports.

It's a funny game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Meh.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    No team sport requires more luck to win than college baseball.

Langford performed amazingly in Omaha. But on Sat night he hit a ball to a spot just low enough for the LSU guy to snag. That is luck on LSU’s part and lack of luck on ours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. upstategator

upstategator GC Legend

Nov 1, 2017
    If the ball goes over the outfielders head Saturday night and we go on to put the beat down Sunday nobody is talking about the pen or Cags pitching today. In fact we would probably be up there with some of the best teams ever. But because of what happened it exposes the lack of pitching. That being said I don’t think our own guys pen guys did that bad. In fact overall I think they did ok.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Absolutely. But LSU pitchers thoroughly out pitched ours and they left about 100 guys on base. We were extremely lucky to even have the chance to win the first game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Obviously the HRs throughout the season make us feel all-worldly. But there were plenty of times during the tourney that they seemed sort of distant outside the obvious dramatics like Riopelle and Evans. And we can argue ad nauseum about the selection and usage of the pitching throughout the season and how it formed Sully's decisions in the tourney. But to me, the team felt just outside of being completely tuned in for a serious run at the title. I think we all hoped that the Sunday game was the point that the lightbulb turned on in earnest, Cags especially.

While I would have liked a trophy, I can't say we lost to an inferior team. I think we did remarkable, given what I saw were some hickups in personnel and big game environment. But overall, a very nice feeling about this season.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1