Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball at TN, Fri 4/9, 6:30 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Off we go to Vol land! TN is 25-5, 7-2 in SEC. Conference match-ups so far have been GA, LSU and Bama. We certainly have our warts, but color me crazy I'm not all that impressed against that line up.

TV: SEC Network + (on-line)
    Radio: ESPN 98.1 FM / WRUF 850 AM
    Stats: SIDEARMLiveStats
    Weather: 72 Deg at the start and 65 to finish. 15-24% chance of precip. Wind SSW @ 3-8 = breeze in from right/center field.

Starting Gator: Jr RHP Mace (4-0, 2.54)
    Starting Earl: Jr RHP Dallas (4-0, 4.28)

Go Gators!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Huge series!

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    So what's the panel expecting for a lineup for the Gators? Does Hickey start at first and keep Greenfield behind the plate? Who is your DH? Maybe Kirby is your DH or do you keep Kirby at 3rd? Where do you put someone like Jud in the batting order? Will Armstrong get many at bats this weekend? Do you favor a defensive lineup on the road or do you load up with hopeful hitters? Is Butler and Calilao the odd men out? Ah baseball, that's why @74nole loves it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Righthanded Earl puts Butler at first for a left handed bat. Hickey behind the plate because he is decent defensively and he hits from the left side. With a lefty starter maybe Calilao at 1B and Butler as the DH where he might get to pitch and stay in as DH. Maybe Hickey to start at C or maybe Greenfield first and switch later in that case.

Put Jud anywhere you want. He has struggled so far this season but he can rake. It is just a matter of time. Once he gets it going we will be hard to beat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    If we continue our improved approach at the plate I look forward to seeing our weekend matchup. Solid contact where it’s pitched is key. If we can accomplish that then our strike outs should also be cut down.

We have to attack the strike zone as a pitching staff. We also have to pitch not throw as a pitching staff to play effectively throughout the weekend.

We have to win the challenge every time we are in pitcher’s counts—period. Giving up base hits on 0-2 and 1-2 counts just has to be non-existent.

Three to four defensive errors a game is completely unacceptable. That can be corrected—you’re talking about hard work, focus, concentration, and execution. That can be done, it has to be done!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Their fans are saying the same thing. Kirby is the key to Friday night . He can’t continue these non productive ABs . Especially where he sits in the order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Where in the hell is Armstrong!?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Call me crazy, Halter at 3rd , Armstrong at first. Greenfield catching . Hickey DH

• Like Like x 2
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I got to go ahead and put this on the stove—Halter looked mighty good playing the hot corner last night...it was kinda nice to see some range and foot speed out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Hickey moved around the first base bag well last night—just flip him and Armstrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator1977

gator1977 Junior

Apr 15, 2019
    Tenn. starting pitchers or RH, LH, RH. None of them have great numbers. Gators need to go up there and whack away, play solid D and make quality pitches- stay ahead in the count. Agree with Gal the Vols lineup is good but not particularly imposing. They can be had and think that Gators coming home with 2 of 3 wins is not a wild bet.
    Against the RH starters, I like Halter at 3rd, Butler at 1st and Armstrong DH, Hickey C. Jud in 5th or 6th slot is fine for now until he gets cranking. and I'd give Rivera another shot at SS with Carrion 2B.

• Like Like x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure Cal swings it well enough to get the start in any of the 3 games. Weather up there won't be all that hot so Hickey should be fine. Assuming Guscette is out for the weekend.
    Halter had been scuffling at the plate, seems to handle the midweek stuff a lot better than SEC play. IF Sully thinks he can get on base then I put him at 3rd and DH Kirby. 1B to me is matchups and the hot bat between KC, Butler and Armstrong. All 3 guys are very streaky, have to guess on the right stick.
    Kind of like Rivera at 2B if he really is out of his funk, but my leash would be rather short.
    Lots of options. Carrion and Thompson seem to have settled in to their spots

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. volungator

volungator Sophomore

May 4, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    This weekend's a tough one for me. I have multiple degrees from both schools and I have a son who is a sophomore frat boy at UT. My allegiance however leans very heavy Gators. I cheer for the Vols when not playing the Gators

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I will be the first to admit I saw the “options” as a positive 2-3 months ago. Now, not sure. Are there options because of skill or options because of a lack of results???

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Yep.

16. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Who's on 1st?

17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess it's always a little good and a little bad. But ultimately it's good that if a guy struggles we have a legit option to turn to.
    For all the flaws, not many teams could pick from experienced and talented guys like Armstrong, Butler, KC, Acton as options off the bench

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator1977

gator1977 Junior

Apr 15, 2019
    Not sure if you folks remember but I do-- last time these schools met- 2019-- there was quite a bit of chirping and alot of BS showboating from Vols who had some ridiculous Mardi Gras beads ceremony after a HR that basically was rubbing it in our faces. Probably not many of the same guys around but nonetheless. BTW-- Vols took that series 2-1 in very close and tense games. Gators had game 2 in hand when Nellie- inexplicably tripped ruounding 3rd heading home... It was a bad year. Now it's pay back time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. gator1977

gator1977 Junior

Apr 15, 2019
    Vitello is still there and he let that nonsense go on.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Hickey at Catcher
    Armstrong at First

Cal’s bat not enough to start series behind the plate if righty on the mound. Néed Armstrong or Butler at First, Hickey catching and Butler or Kirby at DH.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1