Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball at SC, Sat 6/10, ~5:36 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    There I was moving around the stadium as the game progressed, nervously anticipating how long Waldrep would go and if we could muster any insurance. I knew the day could not end any better than to make my way back over to my good buddies @gatorjjh and @gator1977 to finish it the way we started out the season.

I appreciate all the Gator fans for making the weekend special but especially these two Gator Country guys for putting up with me this season and all my quirky stats, bad guesses, and a few lucky called shots. I hope we get together for one more go around to welcome this team home in victory. Go Gators!

• Winner Winner x 5
  2. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In a rain delay game just finished Vols lose 5-3

• Like Like x 1
  3. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

That is too bad lol

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yep, he’s struggled mightily at the plate but as many baseball guys have commented he’s a very good centerfielder, especially for a freshman. Burke, Peterson and guys like that know a thing or two about baseball. We saw how hard it is to play center with Wyatt having a tough time this weekend and I consider Wyatt the best athlete on the team and one of the best athletes we had on the baseball team in 10 years. Mikey made every routine play and made many tough plays look easy. Again I’ll defer to Kyle Peterson and Burke- two guys that have played at very high levels.
    I think many have been way too hard on him. I seem to remember another freshmen named Fabian that hit 232 as a freshman. Robertson’s defense has been above average. Glad you mentioned his walks and sac bunts.

Talking about a great kid here that ( easy to see) is not so confident in himself. Sully ( love Sully and my opinion) has been very tough on him. Don’t get me wrong Sully’s pushing tons of right buttons and his portal work has been great, but hoping he gets in the kid’s ear and pumps him up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Virginia. Tough first game. Fundamentally sound.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would imagine Sully has a good grasp on the kids mental makeup and how he responds to certain adversity. Have to imagine Rivera, Halter etc are pumping him up and getting him working overtime doing the things he needs to. At that level if you pout when the coaches get on your ass they probably will not be around long. Time to grind Robertson…..you could possibly be a key part to this team bringing a title back home.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    St. Augustine, FLA
    Sat behind the uf dugout the last two days yelling at the Stevie Wonder umps. No more voice left. We needed an all American performance on the mound for a game like that and we got an all world effort. Probably the best home game pitching effort seen by uf pitcher in a game like that in my lifetime. Both games were grind out games and they got it done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Kid is not pouting I assure you of that. He’s a gamer like plenty of others on our team. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he had a good CWS and has a key hit or big defensive play. Sully is very old school in certain ways and knows what to do and how to do it.

9. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    He seems to be a gamer but kids get sat down and are gone all the time. Sometimes you just never know if it’s a sulking issue or a talent one.

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Just my opinion but I really don’t think the things that Michael needed to work on had anything to do with sulking or talent.

I will say that his mental game had to grow and mature to match his physical talents.

I think that has happened. He plays balls to and against the fence completely different now than he did at the start of the season.

But that’s just me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    I completely agree. I was talking in general terms about players….not Robertson particularly. It really would not surprise me if he ends up playing a role in some pretty important plays during the CWS.

• Agree Agree x 2