Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball at Ole Miss, Fri 4/5, 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 2, 2019.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Could be...under his Jason Bourne alias!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's be clear here, are you suggesting that we fire Sully? Are you biased in this with respect to a situation that may be closer to home for you?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    WES, remember the discussions in 2017? The team was hitting like crap and there were a ton of calls for Sully to hire a hitting coach. Frankly, a number of people on that team did appear to regress offensively. So I can see why some people might still think that was true.

BUT focusing on that one year and this one year (as our illustrious poster here is doing) is very disingenuous. India made HUGE strides last year. India as a FR vs a JR was completely different. Josh Tobias got much better as he went. Harrison Bader. Mike Zunino.

JJ didn’t really improve. Mike Rivera never really improved with the bat. Brady Smith is still struggling behind the plate this year. Dalton has regressed from last year BUT he had a lot more lineup coverage last year with India and Schwarz plus he was an unknown getting fastballs.

There are some individuals that haven’t gotten much better over their time at UF and they seem to be more recent examples.

But as you have defended and any reasonable mind who objectively looks at the complete Sully record must also attest to, Sully has seen many players improve and make small fortunes by attending UF. I would put his record up against anyone. You could make a pretty strong case Sully doesn’t have 3 rings purely because of “The South Carolina 2B who shall not be named” and that UVA pitcher...

• Like Like x 2
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I’m not blaming him for everything. I’m blaming him for continuously giving up free bases and free runs because he can’t keep the ball in front of him. He gave up bases and/or runs with three different pitchers last night, not just Butler.

I don’t blame him for our pitchers getting lit up. I do place the blame squarely on his shoulders for three of the runs that crossed the plate though. One he dropped a perfect throw, two other pass balls.

He did the same thing at first last year. Blame the fielders if you want, but Cali is keeping a lot of way worse throws in front if him this year and Bell was able to do the same last year.

If you think Brady’s catching doesn’t affect our pitchers confidence and what pitches they feel good about (especially with runners on base), then I don’t know what to tell you.

Obviously Sully sees something I don’t because he keeps forcing it. I personally don’t think he should be playing any position where routine plays involve throwing the ball in his direction.

Jmo. Go Gators. Ftr, I’d much rather be positive. Brady just drives me nuts, did last year too.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Also in Matherly’s defense, I thought he was mostly trying to be supportive.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Stu you obviously haven't read the whole thread or you are forgetful. When you said "ya'll comments blaming him for EVERYTHING on a day when Tommy obviously did not have his best stuff" is totally in disregard to my earlier comments. I'll post them again for you following this one. Yes I was more harsh on Smith more than normal i other posts, admittedly so. But my frustration is more with Sully not giving others more opportunity. Yes I trust Sully so don't throw that back at me. Its obviously this is a lower than expectation year, notice I'm not calling it a down year so I don't upset any other posters here. Just cause a guy hits a HR does not make up for the 3 other runs that came in on passed balls. Again that is more to Sully because is it better to earn one run or give away three others? Notice I'm not comparing who's fault is it that the ball got by. I can complain about the catcher and you can complain about the pitching. Its a free world.
    And finally, all real Gator fans know it wasn't Brady on that grassy knoll. It was ole number 11, Mike Martin did it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Greg—

Your points are well stated and accurate—specifically as to Dalton, last year he came into the league as an unknown “newbie”—Obviously this year everyone in the SEC has a book on him—translation is take his own aggressive approach and feed him breaking balls and off speed, see if he’ll chase, get ahead in the count, then elevate the FB—

How many times have you seen him (and others) roll over on the slider pulling the weak ground ball to the SS?

8. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hey @GatorStu1 remember this comment. See I don't always question our catcher.

9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Dan Werner and Theon Harris agree

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Pete , don’t indulge this idiot with response . He is not worthy...

11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Seems like our swings are very long and we are trying to do too much. But what do I know.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can say from first hand knowledge that is a lie.
    Is Sully a hard ass SOB? Yes. But most guys get that and are tough enough to understand it.
    You clearly have an agenda, maybe associated with someone who wasn't recruited or someone who got run off. I've also talked to multiple transfers, they generally would have done it all over again and held no resentment. That's not universal, but enough to be representative

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You clearly know how to get under my skin when you bring Dan Werner "The Human Error Machine" into the conversation. That's not fair!!! LOL

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Matherly;

Good call. I missed this post. I apologize for not seeing it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    “It’s the hard that makes it great”.....Jimmy Dugan/A League of Their Own

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    @Matherly87

I do not want to debate/argue this with you or pain. However, in my defense I would like to say the following:

- I always read every single post in the game threads. Usually after the game so I don't post out of frustration.
    - IMHO I thought your post #188, #195, #216 and #222 were a little bit much against Brady.
    - I also thought pain's post #186, #228 (where he literally blames Brady for Jordan's trouble closing his inning in relief), and #232 were also.
    - Also both of you have mentioned three (3) runs that Brady was responsible for. If "gal" is correct there was only two. One was ruled a wild pitch and I think his HR was a big deal because it helped us get back in the game (temporarily).
    - The main thing that set me off though was you quoting and pain agreeing with a post from gtsldrs, who was/is an obvious "troll" dissing Brady and then Sully.

Anyway, you did have the one post on Tommy that I missed, but I honestly believe the comments when the game got away from us went too far on Brady. Which you did admit in your response to me.
    Go Gators!!!!!!!!!

17. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wow if it means that much to you then so be it. I think you can see in today's game post that plenty of others are questioning Brady Smith at catcher. It's been going on for many weeks, not just yesterday. One friendly poster here even has said in jest the best thing for Brady Smith is installing a ball return. You may not like it, but that's funny. I go to as many Gator baseball games as I can and see firsthand the troubles at catcher. Please know I only want what's best for our Gators and I believe you do to. But my opinion is we need a new catcher for several reasons and I let people know. One thing we agree on, I do not like to carry on a debate or take over a thread. Thus I'm done with this discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I think they were both ruled wild pitches. I don’t care. Your job is to keep the ball in front of you. Pitchers throw the ball in the dirt. Good catchers stop the ball anyway more often than not.

All of his blunders at first last year were scored as errors against India, Liput, and Reese too, doesn’t change the fact that he should have made the plays. 8 out of 10 times Bell and Cali make the play and get the out. The 9th time they at least keep the ball in front of them.

• Agree Agree x 1