Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball at LSU, Thu 4/18, 9:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 17, 2019.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dont think we see Hunter or Kirby on the mound for a while based on those outings

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Probably not as bad as it looked. Dyson Leuthje Specht and Crisp May be the top bullpen options right now and didn’t use any of them. Could have shut them down but better to save that pitching for the next two games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'd still have Alintoff in that list as well. He can be inconsistent but he has some good outings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    How did we ever win surrendering 2 triples?! Is that unprecedented?

5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

You know more (way more) than I’ll ever know about pitching so here’s my question:

While I agree that Mace ate innings and did what he needed to do I wasn’t so sure it was a really good start. For a number one Friday night guy 10 hits and 4 earned seems like an ok night. Maybe the fact that he battled and ate a few extra innings and saved some arms makes it a really good outing?
    Stuff looked really good and I think looking back this could be a huge game for us. For me, his line isn’t great but the 7 innings is really impressive.

I think helped Tommy to have a little support tonight for sure.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Game being replayed on SEC network at noon.

7. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Nor is it encouraging giving up 9 runs. Yes its with Ruth and Kirby to finish but we have to hope the bats are still awake tonight in case the pitching has troubles.

8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I fell asleep at 14-2, damn what happened? Lol

Did the defense fall asleep or pitching just got ate up? Pitching I can live with, defense falling asleep would be a bit worrisome.

9. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Pitching, Hunter Ruth got banged up in the 7th and then Kirby McMullen finished the last 2. Both gave up something like 3 runs each.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I can live with that. Throw strikes with a big lead... Kirbs is what he is, Ruth will come around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    shane—

Maybe we’re putting different meaning to the term “good start”—for me a great start is a shutdown and shutout effort—a good start (like this one IMHO) deals with controlling a good hitting team in a hostile environment—if I’ve got a guy that pitches 7 innings in that environment and has to scatter 10 hits while limiting walks to a scattered minimum in just over 100 pitches I’m gonna shake his hand—when he gave up three straight singles, didn’t fold, and pitched out of a tough situation controlling the bleeding then he’s pitching like a Friday night guy—

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great comment especially the gave up 3 straight singles, didn't fold. That showed me more fortitude than the whole night. Mace is showing signs of growing into a true ace for next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Mace’s make up or Moxy, that cool calm attitude, is what I like most. My experience with most sports and especially pitching is if the mental side/mindset is right then that’s half the battle. Obviously gotta be blessed with the arm but for me it’s about what’s upstairs and Tommy is an “A” in that dept. He’s the only guy right now on our staff that probably could have kept going after three straight hits.
    I guess we are all “getting used” to the growing pains in term of the staff as we’ve been so spoiled.

As always, well said and thanks for the info. Worked with pitchers a little in the past and Like most anything else most just needed little tweaks. Love Sully’s mound visits. Short and sweet.

Another question,

Jack gotta be on a count tonight right, and if so would you think 60-70 at most?

I know he’s thrown bullpens but you and I know that’s very different from (as Turtleman would say) live action.

We need Jack down the stretch and just thinking Sully gonna be real careful. For me, we get 4 solid Maybe 5 innings tonight and I’m real happy. Like Specht for two and Crisp for two.

Butler, Some point in this series is going to be huge in lefty lefty matchups against a couple of their kids.

• Like Like x 2
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would add the pitch count was getting up there for him and I suspect the damage he suffered in the 7th doesn't happen without the huge UF lead. He either doesn't go out for the 7th or gets pulled when he plunked a guy. Clearly Sully doesn't trust the pen and wanted to limit exposure as much as possible, and save the guys he trusts a little for games 2 and 3

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I’m inclined to think that because it’s a blister issue and not an arm/shoulder issue and this far into the season his pitch count will be more regulated by whether the wear and tear on his finger (s) is tolerable or not—

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    When I fell asleep it was 14-2.

Maybe I need to drink some coffee tonight even though that might keep me up all night.

17. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I think is only part of the story. UF also has two starters that follow Mace that you are almost 100% certain won’t make it past 4, maybe 5 innings. So you now have to have 8-10 innings at least out of your pen in Game 2 and 3. Knowing that, don’t waste the 2-3 arms you do trust in your pen on a Friday blowout.

In 2016, Puk almost never made it past the 4-5th. But you had Dunning AND Shore/Faedo which gave you 6+ almost every single game.

The starters this year just can’t go deep and it taxes the bullpen a lot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Bill;

Sorry again buddy,............... power has been out most of the day. BUT.................................

I thought he would be bigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1