Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball at LSU, Sat 4/20, 3:00 pm

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    The tell tale sign of this game was when the announcers said the Gators ERA on away games in conference this year coming into the series was 11.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    And it didn’t go down much...

UF has allowed 34 total runs to Vandy, 40 to Ole Miss, and now 33 to LSU.

That is a positive trend. So on the bright side, in Athens UF likely will allow 32 or less!!! Improvement!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Kind of tough on the offense to know you have to put up 11 or more most nights away to have a chance.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Yeah, you need to find something that you can watch your tapes on—;)

5. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    As if those stats didn’t depress you enough, UF has only held their SEC home opponent to less than 9 runs one time (Game 1 vs Vandy when it was 5-0). All other 8 games the home team has scored 9 runs or more (and 7 of the 8 they have scored 11 or more). For all the flaws this team does seem to possess, I still can’t believe UF has a pitching staff which has allowed those numbers.

Also interesting, more than 40 hits in back-to-back away series.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I did some quick calculations so hopefully they aren’t too wrong:
    204 hits in 650 total ABs for UF conference opponents.

@home: 73 hits in 314 ABs for a .232 batting average

@away: 131 hits in 336 ABs for a .390 batting average

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was once a camellia show judge.

I showed blooms and judged some at the place near the Appleton Museum on the far east side.

I might have met your dad back in the day.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wow that's exactly right. He entered a few times and helped set up by the Appleton. I think it was at the club building right next to the museum as you enter. I never went but you must have met my dad somewhere along the way. Small world Lurker.

10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly right where the building was for the camellia show.

Did your dad ever talk about Gordy or James Norman? They were two of the best camellia growers in the nation. Gordy was just south of Ocala and James Norman was from just north of Melrose.

11. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    @GatorLurker
    I do remember Gordy but not the other. Wasn't Gordy in with Bob Wine for awhile? Dad never won anything, he just like seeing everyone's different varieties and learning anything he could. I believe he traveled up to Gainesville for a show once to look around. He grew more azaleas, people bought them more, than camellias but it was the camellias that had his interest.

12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Sorry Lurk the tapes I had were not camellias.. but we won’t go any further with this .

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I figured we'd lose Game #2 and go to a rubber match and "hopefully" get our first road series, but again, we demonstrated that we have almost no reliable pitching.

We have lots of talented hitters, and the outfield issues will mostly resolve themselves with this year under the belts of these young Gators, but pitching is the key area that, imo, needs to be seriously, heavily recruited this off-season. Mace and Dyson are "good" pitchers, but this year, they've almost appeared to have digressed. Crisp has some promise but is too young.

I'm not saying we're awful, but we're not great either.

Simply put, we don't have the very high level of talent at pitcher we've been used to and Sully needs a really good haul of pitchers next class imo, because I don't see even one "elite" or "dominant" arm in our dug-out right now.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Gray--

I get your drift here--I would say by far the best competitor on the mound that we have is T. Mace--he has the talent and ability to be a good Friday night guy, just still needs to acquire a little more consistency--

We have a bunch of guys that can "throw" 91-93 mph but really need to figure out how to "pitch" with the talents that they have--I know it's a process when you have a younger staff and we surely do this year--but by now (this deep into the regular season) our guys ought to have it figured out that pretty much all the hitters that they face can hit it belt high in the heart--it's been that mistake as well as in strong pitcher's counts (0-2, 1-2) that we end up giving up RBI base hits catching way too much plate belt high in an advantage count--Painfully obvious when we make these mistakes with two outs--

Compounding this issue of "too much plate" I believe the defensive struggles we've had behind the plate have contributed to the lack of precision we've grown accustomed to seeing out of our pitchers--

Bottom line is it's all got to be fixed--

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. spikesnlaces

spikesnlaces Freshman

Feb 10, 2017
    Sense we have the best recruiting staff in the game and the best coach in the game and we have the recruited arms that we coveted and certainly throw hard enough it really makes you scratch your head right? Are we just having a down year because it’s difficult to always keep the edge?? No sense in dwelling but when you look at the season and how it’s unfolded it’s the pitching that has really disappointed. Not many offenses or defenses can overcome this staff. Since it is a collective issue for the pitchers , how do we right the ship? Maybe to late this season , but will more highly talented pitching recruits change the course? I don’t have the answers just puzzled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    winner winner chicken dinner, I am surprised that the throwers haven't been coached up or figured out that fat pitches in pitcher's counts are never a good idea, hasn't it been coached into them since 8th grade? I can only conclude that their contro/consistenencyl is not as good as it needs to be YET and that Sully is frustrated beyond belief at this point, you can see the talent, the problem with most kids is not consistently throwing in the right arm slot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Agreed @gatorjjh—I’m sure Sully’s frustration is off the chain—I would bet that the points we’re talking about are addressed daily as each one of our pitchers gets his work in on his regularly scheduled work days—

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    But why the home-away split difference? Obviously Vandy, Ole Miss, and LSU are better offenses on average than Bama and USCe but MSU didn’t pound UF as much as the away teams have (still hit .307 and scored 18 runs over 3 games). What is the deal?

I obviously don’t have the answers but it strikes me as very odd that every pitcher has been incredibly inefficient on the road.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Greg—

That has truly been this team’s Achilles heel—I don’t really get that either—

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I know what you guys are saying, but It also makes me wonder how good we would be if our usual top 2 or 3 classes each year weren't getting raided by the MLB too. You have to admit, it makes one wonder. Nowadays, I think a lot of teams with dominant, shut-down pitchers are pretty lucky to get them because of the lure of MLB's money. What's a, 18 year old kid to say when you offer him three-quarters of a million to a million dollar signing bonus?

I myself had already resigned myself to a sub-par season knowing youth was going to be an issue, but even though I knew pitching depth would be a factor, I also thought our starting weekend rotation would be a lot more consistent and dependable. Yet pitching is what's killing us right now. Perhaps Mace and Dyson have already reached their peaks? They were here last year and I for one think they've digressed into this year. I'm really not impressed with anyone in our dugout right now, with the exception of Crisp who I think may be a very, very good one in the future.

You have these kinds of years, youth-filled ones where you're going to take your lumps, but Sully really needs to haul in some elite level pitchers in our next class or we could be seeing more of this next year too imo.