Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball Around the SEC - Mid week action 3/13 - 3/15/18

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Mar 11, 2018.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    TExas has 54 scheduled,, guessing theyll be at 56 like rest of us w/ add ons. And what was the argument against taking a bye weekend near end of season? sounds like a good idea actually. Some ACC teams do it also rather than play another bad weekend series during conf. play

Im not taking either side of the scheduling hard debate btw.. iv noticed older i get less i care,,just show up & play. ill watch it all the same

• Like Like x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You gave Texas credit for Arkansas (midweek games); is that significantly different than UCF (this year) or FGCU (last year)? Here are Texas' OOC weekend series this year:

Stanford (nice)
    LSU (away...mmmm, ok, great intention)
    Louisiana
    Northwestern
    New Orleans
    BYE week - I seriously can't stop laughing at this, do other Big 12 teams do this?

The top 2 are effectively making up for the shortened conference schedule. No cookie given, that's what Texas SHOULD be doing. What about the other 4 weekends?

I'm not seeing it. I can't picture you tuned in to Texas vs. Louisiana and saying "see, this is what the GATORS should be doing." 2 out of their 6 weekends, they tried. 1 they completely surrendered and have been doing so for a few years.

And in fairness, Miami on a regular basis is supposed to be of a quality similar to what is expected of LSU (Stanford just happens to be a bonus). So if you want to give Texas a pass on LSU, you've gotta give FLORIDA a pass on Miami. That literally leaves one weekend that Texas is even trying to do better.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

3. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    The top 2 are effectively making up for the shortened conference schedule.

yep, but in Texas' case they scheduled 2 major conf quality opponents,,what else should they do? play Ut Arlington(he he at TAMU) instead of taking a bye weekend?

4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Looks like the 5/4-6 weekend is a popular bye week for handful of ACC teams. but Texas only one I see that does it in Big 12.

5. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    And, UT Arlington wins the marathon game 5-1 in 18.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Playing at Arkansas who is a top 5 team preseason is light years better than UCF and FGCU. Have either ever been preseason top 5? Top 10? Top 15??? The games were scheduled when everyone thought Arky would be a national title contender. Not 4 years ago and they just happened to be good.

Also, Louisiana is Louisiana Lafayette. They have been in two Supers lately and they have been to the College World Series more recently than Auburn as well. You and I have to agree to disagree if you think Louisiana is anything other than a quality scheduled opponent. They don't seem great this year but UL Lafayette has been almost as good as Miami for the last 4-5 years.

7. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair point, I did not give Arkansas their due. But Arkansas is a midweek game. They play 2 games against Arkansas and 1 game against A&M. Is that not comparable to 3 games against SWAC? Then you look at the rest of the midweek schedules and you have to give the edge to FLORIDA, no?

As for the rest of it, we'll have to revisit it later in the year or at the end of the regular season. I think FLORIDA's total weekend schedule will be more comparable to Texas' than you make it out to be.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

8. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    It's not about utility, it may very well be useful. No clue. But the argument against it goes like this...

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    "Total" schedule, let's talk during the Vandy series...

Texas vs UF midweeks:
    Let's call Arky+A&M for 3 games equal to the SWAC for 3 games (FSU does have more national titles than Arky+A&M but it is close, razor thin advantage for FSU).

Each play 11 other midweek games. When summing all regional appearances since 2000 (arbitrarily chosen), UF's opponents have made 41 appearances to Texas' 31. Advantage Florida. That said, no team UF faces has ever made the CWS or a Super. Since 2000, Houston has made 4 Supers (advantage Texas) and a couple teams Texas plays have made the CWS prior to 1990. Admittedly, not relevant to this discussion but interesting.

I think the schedules are more comparable for midweeks than you think.

10. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I think the schedules are more comparable for midweeks than you think.

Agreed, minimal difference between Arky, UCF, Laff. South bama, etc. especially in mid weekers.. Hard to predict each teams value at time of game being played. If youre obsessed w/ names on jerseys youll probably always be disappointed w/ schedules in baseball. And also qualifies you to vote in one of the 7 polls.

Just schedule Coastal every year, who by "local definition" is also now a baseball power.

11. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Wednesday scores in.

12. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Spring Training has come to an end.

• Agree Agree x 1