Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Baseball 2019 Recruiting Class/Draft added blake purnell tweet

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorfan5220, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I've never tried to follow the MLB draft so I would appreciate some feedback.
    How many rounds will they get through tomorrow?
    What round would you say is better odds a high school kid will choose college instead of the pros? I get it that each kid and offer is different but I would think our chances go way up somewhere around the 5-7 rounds.
    All this positive vibes really helps get over the weekend. Allen, Barco and Owens also have to know we need starters and that spells opportunity sooner than they may get working their way through the minors. Hopefully for the guys that come back it spells competition which we need a strong dosage of.

2. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    Allen and Barco not drafted so far is huge. Are these kids really going to make it on campus? Wow!

MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch

Matthew Allan | Rank: 13
    School: Seminole (Fla.) HSYear: Senior Position: RHP Age: 18 DOB: 04/17/2001 Bats: R Throws: R Height: 6'3" Weight: 210 lb. Commitment: Florida
    WATCH [​IMG]
    Scouting grades:
    Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 55 | Overall: 55

Not a big name when the summer showcase circuit season began, Allan had put himself firmly on the map with consistently strong performances across multiple events. He's picked up this spring where he left off, continuing his climb up Draft boards to become perhaps the top high school arm in the class.

Big, strong and physical, Allan has seen all of his stuff play up during his senior season. His four-seam fastball continues to touch 97 mph on a regular basis and he's maintained that velocity deep into starts, showing that it wasn't just the shorter stints of the showcase circuit that allowed him air it out. He'll drive the ball down in the zone, but can pitch up and down with his fastball well, with improved overall command of the pitch both in and out of the strike zone. He complements the heater with a plus power curve he can throw for strikes, missing bats consistently. His changeup has also taken a step forward, giving him a third at least above-average pitch.

While some scouts don't love Allan's arm action in the back, it doesn't affect him out front and he's commanded all three of his pitches extremely well, repeating his delivery consistently. He has frontline starter potential, and that should entice enough teams in the first round to keep Allan from heading to the University of Florida.

Hunter Barco | Rank: 34
    School: The Bolles School (Fla.)Year: Senior Position: LHP Age: 18 DOB: 12/15/2000 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6'4" Weight: 212 lb. Commitment: Florida
    WATCH [​IMG]
    Scouting grades:
    Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

Barco was a "famous name" entering the summer showcase circuit last year, one with major raw power at the plate, but whose future is most certainly on the mound. He was a bit inconsistent last summer, and then was pitching better for his Jacksonville area high school to put an up arrow next to his name. A mild shoulder strain that shelved him for a while did put a damper on his spring.

The 6-foot-4 southpaw has the ideal pitcher's body, with room to fill out and see his stuff tick upward, especially once he stops being a two-way player. His velocity fluctuated over the summer, but was up to 94 mph this spring with good arm-side movement. He'll flash an excellent slider, though he can get underneath it at times, impacting it's consistency, and he has good feel for an above-average changeup as well. While he was stronger this spring, Barco still throws from a lower slot than some scouts would like. He struggles repeating his release point, which can lead to command issues.

That arm slot does create deception in his delivery, though, often making him tough to hit. Teams willing to take him early and sign him away from his University of Florida commitment would have to believe there's more in the tank and that they can work with the lefty to clean up his delivery once he becomes a pro. But he was shut down for a period of time leading up to the Draft, leading many to believe he could end up heading to Florida.

• Like Like x 3
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    MLB draft

Greene taken by Tigers at No. 5

Scouting director: ‘He’s got what we call the ‘hit gene’ ’

By Stephen Ruiz Sentinel Sports
    Riley Greene always dreamed of playing professional baseball.
    On Monday night, Greene learned which organization likely will give him that chance.
    The Detroit Tigers selected the Hagerty High School outfielder with the fifth overall selection of the amateur baseball draft. The Oviedo native is coming off a senior season in which he batted .422 with eight home runs, 27 RBIs and 38 runs scored in 28 games for the Huskies.

He was considered by some to be the best high-school hitter available this year.

“He’s got what we call the ‘hit gene’ and matches his performance in the batter’s box with highlight-reel plays in the outfield on a regular basis,” Tigers scouting director Scott Pleis said in a statement, according to mlb.com.

The Sentinel could not reach Greene for comment, but he told MLB Network Radio: “I wanted to go to the Tigers for a long time. I’m just very excited that I get to be able to go to them now.”
    Greene signed to play with the University of Florida, which his father, Alan, has described as “his dream school.” Major League Baseball has assigned a signing-bonus slot value of almost $6.2 million to the Tigers’ top selection.
    Greene taken by Tigers at No. 5

• Like Like x 2
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  6. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Rounds 3-10 will happen today beginning at 12:30 pm on mlb.com
    Rounds 11-40 will take place Wednesday beginning at 11 am on mlb.com

Here's the approximate pick value at the start of today's rounds:
    #3 - $780,000
    #4 - $538,000
    #5 - $402,000
    #6 - $301,000
    #7 - $235,000
    #8 - $186,000
    #9 - $159,000
    #10 - $148,000

Starting with Round 11 there is no approximate pick value.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If we get both Allen and Barco I will do the Numa Numa dance nude in Macy's picture window noontime in downtown New York City.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Those numbers through round 6 or so are still substantial. $300K minus taxes and agent fees is something close to $150K I would think. Likely not life changing money for most but put $100K away and live off the other $50K plus minor league contract and you have quite the start in life.

Below that $300K level, going to college makes far more sense in my mind. I would personally put the number closer to $500-600K as the bottom but I also grew up in a middle class home which is well above many so I can appreciate going a fair bit lower.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Love seeing that! Leiter has been mentioned as being dead set on going to Vandy so no shock he hasn’t been drafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gonna treat us to this??!! :eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. jump_pass

jump_pass GC Legend

Sep 20, 2017
    Cubs had Matthew Allan as their top pick (1.27) but with the 5th lowest amount of pool money, they were unwilling to go way overslot to sign him.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. gatorcaiman

gatorcaiman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Allan just picked in 3rd round by the Mets. $668,000 pick value

17. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Hope his 4million number holds firm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. gatorcaiman

gatorcaiman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Round 4 begins and Barco still not picked.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Unfortunately, it looks like the Mets have the pool money and the strategy to meet Allan's $4 million demand if they want to.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    How often does that happen?